PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip people who aren't servers/bartenders?

DMBFan23
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Last time I stayed in a hotel room with some friends, the next morning someone was like 'oh, everyone chip in a buck so we can tip the maid'. This seemed normal, though I'd never heard of it.

The other day though, the maintenance man can to unclog the sink (I live in an apartment building). as he was finishing up, one of my roommates asks me 'hey do you have any $ to tip the guy for fixing our sink?' and I tell her, 'sure, but do you tip maintenace dudes?' and she says yes like how the hell could I not know that already.

so, OOT, who have you tipped that isn't a server/bartender?

do you tip hookers, for example?

offTopic
10-13-2005, 01:13 PM
- Valet
- The kid that cleans the clubs after the round (if, in fact, I have him clean the clubs)
- Skycap (if, in fact, he helps me with some luggage)
- Taxi/Limo drivers and shuttle drivers, depending on the nature of the shuttle

I'm sure I'm leaving some out...

10-13-2005, 01:20 PM
If the dude fixed the sink at 3pm, no tip necessary. If 3 am, then it's probably a good idea to tip him/her.

Anytime someone goes "above and beyond" the standard service, it's acceptable to tip, but still not mandatory.

I hate people with money who tip everyone just because they can. They ruin it for everyone else who can't afford this luxury.

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Oh good. Let's do this thread again.

istewart
10-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I tip my slave on the Muslim holidays, just to mix it up. He's not Muslim.

DMBFan23
10-13-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh good. Let's do this thread again.

[/ QUOTE ]

link? I don't come here that often.

istewart
10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
There's probably an average of one tipping thread every 36 hours here, lol.

10-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, that [censored] is for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, that [censored] is for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that someone created this account solely for this purpose should tell everyone that every possible tipping topic has been covered. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

DasLeben
10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I make $2.13/hr. If you don't tip me, and regularly come in and don't tip me because of your personal beliefs, you'll quickly find managers at your table telling you not to come back.

I know this is a bit beyond the scope of this post, but as a tipped worker, I hate this attitude.

EDIT: Oh, gimmick account. Okie-silly-dilly-okio. I'm an idiot.

kenberman
10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
my tipping question:

do you tip the bartender when you pick up food from a bar/restuarant?

this is for a phone ahead, pick up food order at a basic bar/restuarant, and you need to pick up the food from the bartender.

DMBFan23
10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my tipping question:

this is for a phone ahead, pick up food order at a basic bar/restuarant, and you need to pick up the food from the bartender.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this happen on a business trip a couple of weeks ago, except I just picked it up from the hostess. I didn't tip, maybe I should have? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

kenberman
10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my tipping question:

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this happen on a business trip a couple of weeks ago, except I just picked it up from the hostess. I didn't tip, maybe I should have? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and it depends entirely on how much pressure I sense from the bartender. I've gotten nasty looks a couple of times, but those were both from notoriously grumpy bartenders.

DasLeben
10-13-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my tipping question:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have. A lot of those people are dedicated "to go" people, so they expect tips just like the other servers there. I dunno how it was where you went though.

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that someone created this account solely for this purpose and the fact that the account has 13 posts, all of which I'm guessing say the exact same thing, should tell everyone that every possible tipping topic has been covered. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Edit: 12 of 13 ain't bad I guess. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3608444&Fo rum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =3607581&Search=true&where=&Name=46379&daterange=& newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post3608444)

BoogerFace
10-13-2005, 03:19 PM
I tip the cleaning lady at my place at the end of the year.

Tipping lap dancers I think is pretty standard.