PDA

View Full Version : Things that make for a good/bad thread

Ulysses
10-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Please add your thoughts (including thoughts on polls).

Good: a topic people have opinions on

Bad: something that has been recently discussed

(Providing example links would be great.)

Edited to add: Please keep your comments as general as possible, including example threads if possible.

Yeti
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Good : pics of your hot ex-gf fingering herself.
Bad : people bumping old threads for no reason.

[censored]
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Bad: Things that belong in your blog Example (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3644858&Fo rum=&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3644858&Sea rch=true&where=bodysub&Name=24748&daterange=1&newe rval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post3644858)

This is a goood idea as I am planning on making a sticky with my policies concerning threads, posts, users and bannings. This should help with that.

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Good: Whatever you think is interesting
Bad: People who don't share you view telling you that whatever you post sucks, that YSSCKY, and giving any other advice/opinions that are rude in nature all the while forgetting that they chose to read the topic by clicking. Also, people that take OOT and/or themselves way to seriously.

Cody

pokerdirty
bad thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3663309&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

swede123
Good: Trip reports (for the most part, I can remember very few trip reports that sucked).

Bad Poll: Any topic where one of the choices get more than 80% of the votes.

Swede

Shajen
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
bad: chick advice threads.

bad: stupid posts that should be a one line poll

good: trip reports

edit: damn, I'm channeling the swede today.

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
There's no such thing as a bad thread, if you don't click on it or bump it, it doesn't exist.

Cody

lucas9000
10-13-2005, 01:07 PM
good: pictures of hot chicks.

IndieMatty
10-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Good: Anything with me replying.

Bad: Anything I ignore.

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
At last someone with the right idea.

Cody

[censored]
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Good: real life questions common to many people Example how do I buy a house? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3652293&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

DMBFan23
10-13-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad: Things that belong in your blog Example (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3644858&Fo rum=&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3644858&Sea rch=true&where=bodysub&Name=24748&daterange=1&newe rval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post3644858)

This is a goood idea as I am planning on making a sticky with my policies concerning threads, posts, users and bannings. This should help with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], could you include somewhere (possibly in this sticky?) a list of who's been banned? That would make this thing way more entertaining for the spectator who can't read every thread.

thx.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Good: Topics that make people ask questions, trip reports, reviews.

[censored]
10-13-2005, 01:12 PM
I think I can work that in.

Bad: Questions that have been covered countless times: Example general tipping questions (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3663443&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

asofel
10-13-2005, 01:13 PM
chick advice threads can be good or bad. Its entirely dependant upon the poster. This is true for other topics.

Someone was saying in another thread that the french cuffs thread was lame. They were wrong. As posted, it is a great thread. If this was the thread:

"FRENCH CUFFSS R SWEET!!11ELEVEN! YES or YES???"

then I would agree.

I really don't understand how some people can't distinguish a good thread from a bad thread. Sure, some people might not care about the topic as much as others, but if done well many interesting topics can be made into good threads. The responsibility lies on the poster. This is also why posters like Diablo can tackle topics like french cuffs--they do it well.

razor
10-13-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no such thing as a bad thread, if you don't click on it or bump it, it doesn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

but these non-existant threads still clutter up the forum and drive good/great posters away...

GetThere1Time
10-13-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please add your thoughts (including thoughts on polls).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a huge fan of polls. Mainly because they're easily biased, especially by posts from a well-known poster in the poll thread.

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I agree that they can, but an unbumped thread will fall pray to OOT evolution soon, and a poster that bumps said crappy thread will likewise be weeded out.

Cody

Good: A K Steel thread.

Bad: A K Steel thread.

B Dids
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], could you include somewhere (possibly in this sticky?) a list of who's been banned? That would make this thing way more entertaining for the spectator who can't read every thread.

thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep pointing out this is a great idea.

My one thought on bad threads, I've got more, but I can't voice them well right now.

Threads with polls that don't need polls. Polls are for the most part a good way to prevent discussion. I like them best when their used either to solve an argument, or just for humor (beedogs), but if you're saying "what should I do" why limit the advice that can be given to you with a poll.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
To TSC, ElD, and [censored]:

Why do you continue to make posts like this? The constant whining is starting to get old. We get the point. By next week, there will be some new people here that will post a *tee hee* masturbation story. Oh well. You CAN choose to ignore posts like these. You guys are powertripping like an 8 yr old with a magnifying glass by an ant hill. Let it go.

MelK
10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Didn't we have this discussion yesterday? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3653445&page=4&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

samjjones
10-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Good: trip reports (this can be many different flavors: food, bar, fight, etc.), well thought-out polls (swede's "Best War Movie", or my "Most Successful SNL Alum" were recent good ones, IMO), random observations about life that generate interesting discussion, "This chick screwed me over so here are pics proving what a skank she is", and of course anything that COMMODUS posts in.

Bad: "I met this chick while I was drunk...what is my play?", "Drug use is good and here is why", and "The forum mods are Nazis".

[censored]
10-13-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you continue to make posts like this? The constant whining is starting to get old. We get the point. By next week, there will be some new people here that will post a *tee hee* masturbation story. Oh well. You CAN choose to ignore posts like these. You guys are powertripping like an 8 yr old with a magnifying glass by an ant hill. Let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

What thread did I start after my initial idea?

I do however consider this to be a pretty relevant topic considering what is going on in the forum (ie me banning people who suck as posters)

razor
10-13-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that they can, but an unbumped thread will fall pray to OOT evolution soon, and a poster that bumps said crappy thread will likewise be weeded out.

[/ QUOTE ]

but those threads are invariably replaced by 'new' and 'different' crappy threads.

B Dids
10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Drug use is good and here is why"

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I'm guessing he's still passed out- I'll object to this suggestion on the behalf of PJN.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What thread did I start after my initial idea?

I do however consider this to be a pretty relevant topic considering what is going on in the forum (ie me banning people who suck as posters)

[/ QUOTE ]

you started all of this, so it gets addressed to you. if you really need to have a thread over what is good and what isn't, make it a sticky. Don't start 8 million threads pissing and moaning. [looks at TSC]

Ulysses
10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't we have this discussion yesterday? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3653445&page=4&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey, you're preaching to the choir on this one, our enemies are always comming up with new, better ways to make us look at crappy threads, but I have a way to fight back, if a thread says "I totally had a threesome but should I call them back" I skip it as there would seem to be little gained from reading it (now if I see many "Threesome trip reports" later, maybe I'll go back and catch up on past readings).
Sometimes even I get tricked into looking at a stupid thread, but when that happens I calmly sit back, take a deep breath, and remember that I'm on an internet message board and that I'd probably just have wasted those 15 seconds anyhow.

Cody

RunDownHouse
10-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I'd like to point out that many shitty threads are easily salvagable, and many decent threads can be made great, with just a little extra thought on the part of the OP. [censored] 's first example is a shitty thread because it goes nowhere, nobody really cares, and it isn't even unusual.

However, a little extra time and thought could have turned it right around. The OP could have talked about his reactions on seeing the newborn and how he thought it would change his life. He could have concluded his post by asking others if they've had any major, life-changing experiences lately, or what the biggest perspective shift has been, and invite them to share those.

Before you rush to vomit something across the "Post" box and click "Continue," think to yourself: where will this thread go? Is it easy for others to relate to and contribute to this idea?

EDIT: Goddamn filter

bosoxfan
10-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Threads by drunks can be good

thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3663304&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Los Feliz Slim
10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Bad: Threads about other threads, posting, posters, mods, banning, grudges, cliques blah blah blah.

I understand that many these threads and posts are well-intentioned, but I don't think they do any good and can actually be doing harm, such as it is. I do understand that by posting in this thread I am violating my own above criticism because I am implicitly endorsing that which I abhor, but you'd all get really annoyed if I did it any other way. And nobody really cares anyway. I hope.

samjjones
10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
There should be a little thumbnail icon of Commodus giving the thumbs up or thumbs down to the left of a thread listing; this way we could know at a glance what is worthwhile reading or not.

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And nobody really cares anyway. I hope .

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words have never been spoken.

Cody

razor
10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, you're preaching to the choir on this one, our enemies are always comming up with new, better ways to make us look at crappy threads, but I have a way to fight back, if a thread says "I totally had a threesome but should I call them back" I skip it as there would seem to be little gained from reading it (now if I see many "Threesome trip reports" later, maybe I'll go back and catch up on past readings).
Sometimes even I get tricked into looking at a stupid thread, but when that happens I calmly sit back, take a deep breath, and remember that I'm on an internet message board and that I'd probably just have wasted those 15 seconds anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 'fight back' the same way.. but it isn't that simple. It keeps me from wasting much of my time but it does nothing to encourage Zee, AndyFox, sfer, Rick Nebiolo, bisonbison, snakehead, Monty Cantsin, Louie Landale, El Diablo, clarkmeister, meagantw, Fossilman, etc. etc. to start or continue posting in OOT...

There is a group of really smart, interesting, diverse people here and it would sure be nice to be able to discuss all manner of topic without a lot of noise.

Yes, I can avoid noise... but, I'm also thinking of what I might be missing by all those other smart, interesting, diverse people who choose to avoid OOT because of all that noise.

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Your's is an argument that I can respect and I think points out the only real problem we have. I don't care about the quality for my own personal reasons, but rather that, with the massive influx of craptastic posts, it scares the entertaining populus away. Sadly, however, I know of few non-drastic solutions that would be viable.

Cody

meleader2
10-13-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good : pics of your hot ex-gf fingering herself.
Bad : people bumping old threads for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

bump

Ulysses
10-13-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your's is an argument that I can respect and I think points out the only real problem we have. I don't care about the quality for my own personal reasons, but rather that, with the massive influx of craptastic posts, it scares the entertaining populus away. Sadly, however, I know of few non-drastic solutions that would be viable.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so now you're saying that drastic measures are needed to keep the entertaining populus from being scared away from OOT by the crap posts? That's exactly the point of the [censored] experiment that you've been arguing against!

Richard Tanner
10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Wait a tick, I haven't argued against anything, I have, however said that people should just ignore the flys and most (but probably not all) of them will wilt from lack of attention.
As for his idea, go ahead and ban people taht are overtly trying to derail the usefullness of the forum, that's fine.

Cody

tdarko
10-13-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad: Threads about other threads, posting, posters, mods, banning, grudges, cliques blah blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think that is first and foremost. let [censored] clean house if you don't like what he does do bad and if you don't like the poeple that don't like it too bad, STFU you are just cluttering up the boards which is the exact thing we are trying to eliminate.

SippinSoma
10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Should you sticky a policy thread, please put emphasis on how useful "-re:" can be for searching.