PDA

View Full Version : Compare and Contrast: SimCity 4 and Civ 3

B Dids
10-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm looking for a "world building" type game.

The problem that I usually have with these is that I want to build a happy little agrarian society, and while I don't object to putting together a nice little army to defend myself, I'm not wild about running around jacking people's land. I'm peaceful folk.

BUT

Everybody and their grandmother loves Civ 3, and while I know it's more geared towards combat and competition, my guess would be that it's a much better game than SimCity 4, of which I've heard little about.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 11:07 AM
civ 4 comes out soon

B Dids
10-13-2005, 11:18 AM
To be clear, I've torrented both these games, I just wanted to decide which one to invest time in playing. I'm not likely to buy a new game at this point.

JackWilson
Please don't get SimCity 4. Civ 3 is so much better. The best thing about is that while a military conquest might be one of the better ways to succeed in the game, it's definitely not the only way. You can focus on many other things such as government, culture, happiness, wonders, the space race etc and have a really good time. The game is just fantastic and it's not at all about warfare and slaughter, unless you want it to be.

4_2_it
Civ 4 out end of the month. Civ is not all battles, it is a true strategy game. You can conquer other civs by using less coercive methods than war.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Civ 4 out end of the month. Civ is not all battles, it is a true strategy game. You can conquer other civs by using less coercive methods than war.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you swiss?

canis582
10-13-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you swiss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum, but you started it:
Do you have idea how much the US's 'soft power' has diminished because of people like you? People in Russia used to spend a months salary for a pair of old levi's. That is the kind of power that Civ takes into account.

B Dids
10-13-2005, 11:49 AM
STOP RIGHT NOW. DO NOT DERAIL MY THREAD BECAUSE OF SOME BS.

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR STUPID POLITICAL BICKERING, IT IS FOR YOU GUYS TO TELL ME HOW TO WASTE TWO HOURS EVERY WEEKEND.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR STUPID POLITICAL BICKERING, IT IS FOR YOU GUYS TO TELL ME HOW TO WASTE TWO HOURS EVERY WEEKEND.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, apparently people don't joke around anymore.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brainwalter
10-13-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, apparently people don't joke around anymore.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS [censored] SERIOUS.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Civ3. No contest. I love SimCity, but Civ will always hold a special place in my heart. Official date is 10/20 for Civ4, but it will probably be 'available' before then.

Freakin

swede123
10-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I still remember SimCity 2000 with much fondness. It was awesome getting to the stage where the city completely ran itself. If you zoned things just right and set everything up correctly it would continue prospering in spite of any disaster or whatever occured. I once kept it running for days straight without any supervision, what an accomplishment!

Still, based on what you are looking for in a game I'd say go with Civ.

Swede

jason_t
10-13-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

My life will simultaneously get a whole lot better and a whole lot worse.

Cancer Merchant
10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
The Sims, an offshoot of the Simcity franchise, is a nonviolent game. Maybe that would suit you.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's times like these where i'm glad i have a mac /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Duke
10-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Have you ever played Black & White? I haven't, but from what I can tell it's not only a unique game, it seems geared towards what you're looking for.

I could be dead wrong, since I never played it, but it might be worth looking into.

~D

Duke
10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your life can simultaneously get a whole lot better and a whole lot worse... in about 18 months?

~D

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever played Black & White? I haven't, but from what I can tell it's not only a unique game, it seems geared towards what you're looking for.

I could be dead wrong, since I never played it, but it might be worth looking into.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought this too, but the whole giant monster thing is realllllllly gay.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your life can simultaneously get a whole lot better and a whole lot worse... in about 18 months?

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

or not, because i'm sure my 3 yr old ibook won't run it faster than 3fps

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2005, 03:32 PM
I haven't played SC4, but I played plenty of 3000, which was fun, but ultimately quiet easy. Civ3 is also a sick game, which takes much more skill and strategy to play. As others have said, Civ3 is not all about battles, and much like SimCity, you can play the game as you seem fit. The options are endless, but I am inclined to take Civ3 over SC4 simply because of the challenge, and the ability to destroy European countries with the might of the Industrious Americans.

B Dids
10-13-2005, 03:46 PM
I've seen previews for it. It's tempting. I kinda like the giant monster idea, but I'm not sure it deals with the "city" aspect that I like.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I always find that I have to turn off all other victories besides Military Conquest, because if I don't then I beat the game too early.

Ok, I guess I just turn off diplomatic & space race. I think there's a few other weird ones. I'm pumped for Civ4. That [censored] needs to be leaked already.

Freakin

Reqtech
10-13-2005, 04:20 PM
In theory, Black & White is a good game. In actuality, it sucks. Way too CPU intensive once your city gets big, even at low video settings (for the new one). Very disappointing game.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In theory, Black & White is a good game. In actuality, it sucks. Way too CPU intensive once your city gets big, even at low video settings (for the new one). Very disappointing game.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem is how long it takes for your dude to get huge. I want some giant, people-eating ape--not a guy who throws rocks and steps on bushes when he's angry. I got through 2 or 3 levels and quit from boredom.

I just started playing AOE3, and it's pretty good so far.

Freakin

Oski
10-13-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always find that I have to turn off all other victories besides Military Conquest, because if I don't then I beat the game too early.

Ok, I guess I just turn off diplomatic & space race. I think there's a few other weird ones. I'm pumped for Civ4. That [censored] needs to be leaked already.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pumped for Civ 4. I liked a lot of the improvements in Civ 3 - except they need to tweek the area of political influence aspect.

Also, the middle of the game is too long ... meaning, towards the end, you get only about 5 - 10 turns to use 20th century military improvements before they are obsolete. That sucks in contrast to the 120 turns you use playing the Knights, etc.

In many ways Civ III is better than Civ II in theory, however, the game play is still superior in Civ II. This is why I am eager for Civ IV ... I think they will get is right this time.

stabn
10-13-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem is how long it takes for your dude to get huge. I want some giant, people-eating ape--not a guy who throws rocks and steps on bushes when he's angry. I got through 2 or 3 levels and quit from boredom.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Home cities suck. I predict AOE3 bombs pretty hard.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not far enough in the game yet to get to use my home cities... Between working and gambling, I don't have much time for fun...

Freakin

stabn
10-13-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not far enough in the game yet to get to use my home cities... Between working and gambling, I don't have much time for fun...

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope i'm wrong. I only spent a few hours with the demo (i didn't go campaign, i went straight to the multiplayer maps). It felt like a dumbed down version of age2 like aom did. Hopefully i'm wrong and the final version is much better than the demo but I don't think that is going to be the case.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope i'm wrong. I only spent a few hours with the demo (i didn't go campaign, i went straight to the multiplayer maps). It felt like a dumbed down version of age2 like aom did. Hopefully i'm wrong and the final version is much better than the demo but I don't think that is going to be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should make a followup to Rise of Nations... except without all the shitty endgame techs that are like cheat codes... That game was like a great crossbreed of AOE & CIV.

Freakin

Reqtech
10-13-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

They should make a followup to Rise of Nations... except without all the shitty endgame techs that are like cheat codes... That game was like a great crossbreed of AOE & CIV.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Rise of Nations is great, but it's really just a race to get Stealth Bombers.

stabn
10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

How they handled patches/features/etc. was awesome with that game. I don't think it sold enough to do a sequel though, although i could be wrong. I won my copy in an AOM:TT tournament.

dhaimon
10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't get SimCity 4. Civ 3 is so much better. The best thing about is that while a military conquest might be one of the better ways to succeed in the game, it's definitely not the only way. You can focus on many other things such as government, culture, happiness, wonders, the space race etc and have a really good time. The game is just fantastic and it's not at all about warfare and slaughter, unless you want it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin
10-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I heard something about Civ4 doing multiplayer... that doesn't even sound possible to me. During the later stages of the game I'm taking at least 30 minutes per turn, and I'm sure that's not on the slow side. To have 8-10 people all trying to do their moves sounds nuts. Obviously they'd have to do simultaneous moves, but it's still crazy.

Freakin

B Dids
10-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Do y'all have a specific beef with SimCity, or just that you like Civ better?

The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards SimCity. I may just have to give up and play both. Might not be a bad idea given how I'm running/playing on that other thing I do infront of the computer.

B Dids
10-13-2005, 05:06 PM
I played AOE2 networked with an ex-roommate and his girlfriend.

I made a happy little settlement that was all friendly and had farmers and had a modest army and then those hostile bastards came and crushed us when we didn't do nothing to them.

I was very sad.

It's an amazing looking game though and AOE3 looks even better.

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do y'all have a specific beef with SimCity, or just that you like Civ better?

The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards SimCity. I may just have to give up and play both. Might not be a bad idea given how I'm running/playing on that other thing I do infront of the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

SimCity is fun, and when you get good at it, you can turn your cities into beautiful things. but once you've done it, you've done it. good night. game over.

swede123
10-13-2005, 05:11 PM
I know you're picking between these two right now, but for your next purchase seriously consider the Sims games if you want non-aggressive type gameplay. It really becomes pretty addictive working on designing their houses and all that crap, and you'll never have a hostile army come knocking on your door.

Swede

B Dids
10-13-2005, 05:13 PM
See, the Sims seems far to corny for my tastes.

The reason I got on this kick was because I messed around with Roller Coaster Tycoon at a friend's place, and I kinda enjoy the whole building/planning aspect.

stabn
10-13-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I made a happy little settlement that was all friendly and had farmers and had a modest army and then those hostile bastards came and crushed us when we didn't do nothing to them.

I was very sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

AOE2 is pretty ugly really. It was pretty uggly by the time AOM came out /images/graemlins/smile.gif. The first time you play an age game against someone who plays a decent amount of mutli player RTS games is pretty funny. I think i was goofing around in the first or second age farming a bit and building a dock when a pack of elephants flattened my whole town in two minutes /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I never did beat that person in AOE2 or the Conqurers expansion either.

In AOM i paid him back by never letting him live past the 10 minute mark so it worked out well in the end.

swede123
10-13-2005, 05:29 PM
That's what I thought too, and if I am honest with myself I guess it was kind of corny. Still, the whole building aspect is definitely there, and I think Sims 2 has taken it even further as far as what you can do with the building part of it all. I understand where you're coming from though. For some serious non-violent strategy you should check out the game Transport Tycoon. It's pretty old and the graphics don't look like much compared to modern games, I remember it as one of the most fun sim type games I have ever played. Download it here (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1631) for free.

Swede

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
the sims would be so much better if there was nudity involved.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are patches for that.

No, really.

Freakin

pokerdirty
10-13-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are patches for that.

No, really.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't know. i didn't buy it.

jason_t
10-13-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's going to be an AOE3? omg, I'm never going to finish my thesis. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

stabn
10-13-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's going to be an AOE3? omg, I'm never going to finish my thesis. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It already went gold too.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And is available RIGHT NOW on usenet & torrents.

Freakin

jason_t
10-13-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for ruining my life. I'm going to Best Buy after school.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the demo? That's [censored] bullshit.

jason_t
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably takes hours to download. I want satisfaction now.

stabn
10-13-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok if you want to camp out for 5 days go ahead /images/graemlins/smile.gif. It 'ships' the 18th so stores will either have it the 18th or the 19th.

stabn
10-13-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have it now /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

jason_t
10-13-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok if you want to camp out for 5 days go ahead /images/graemlins/smile.gif. It 'ships' the 18th so stores will either have it the 18th or the 19th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. You said it went gold already. I took that mean to it's out and has sold a lot but I guess you mean it went gold before even being released?

Homer: "Five days? But I'm mad now." (The clerk takes the gun from Homer.) "I'd kill you if I had my gun."

Clerk: "Yeah, well, you don't."

stabn
10-13-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. You said it went gold already. I took that mean to it's out and has sold a lot but I guess you mean it went gold before even being released?

Homer: "Five days? But I'm mad now." (The clerk takes the gun from Homer.) "I'd kill you if I had my gun."

Clerk: "Yeah, well, you don't."

[/ QUOTE ]

When computer software/video games go gold it is different from music gold.

When you go gold the final version has been made and was shipped to production to press them and box it up.

jason_t
10-13-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When you go gold the final version has been made and was shipped to production to press them and box it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my life is still ruined cause now I'm gonna sit around and read about it everywhere on the Internet.

B Dids
10-13-2005, 07:02 PM
There's a demo you can download while you wait.

It'll be ok. I promise.

stabn
10-13-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my life is still ruined cause now I'm gonna sit around and read about it everywhere on the Internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://ensemblestudios.com/
http://planetageofmythology.com
http://www.agecommunity.com/home.aspx
Click on Video - Gone Gold to see a fake version of it going gold.

stabn
10-13-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It'll be ok. I promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

Demo (http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/7/3/d7348fe3-d498-4e13-96c6-3da92e8f0c62/aoe3trial.exe)

jason_t
10-13-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

jason_t
10-13-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It'll be ok. I promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

Demo (http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/7/3/d7348fe3-d498-4e13-96c6-3da92e8f0c62/aoe3trial.exe)

[/ QUOTE ]

omg.

stabn
10-13-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You just campaign it or did you play multiplayer at all for the earlier ones?

jason_t
10-13-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played AOE1 but I multiplayed AOE2, CIV3 and RON a lot before I discovered poker. Then I sort of fell out of playing video games.

gumpzilla
10-13-2005, 07:17 PM
I haven't played SimCity 4, and I just bought Civ 3 Complete a few weeks ago with a similar itch. I've played quite a bit of it, and it's fun, but I've yet to actually finish a game, since I've yet to really feel like I was kicking the appropriate amount of ass when entering the Middle Ages. The game bogs down pretty heavily pretty quickly; I found Alpha Centauri to be much better in terms of a relatively quick gaming experience.

Dynasty
10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The reason I got on this kick was because I messed around with Roller Coaster Tycoon at a friend's place, and I kinda enjoy the whole building/planning aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really sounds like SimCity is the game for you. Civ may be a better game. But, it's not exactly what you want.

If you were looking for the best baseball game, you wouldn't go out and buy a Madden game simply because it's better than any baseball game available.

jon_1van
10-13-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played AOE1 but I multiplayed AOE2, CIV3 and RON a lot before I discovered poker. Then I sort of fell out of playing video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try Starcraft and more importantly Warcraft3. Both great....how is AOE3?....its hard to see how game play works from the screenshots

Blarg
10-13-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with this assessment on the impact of Civ games. They're not a game, they're a lifestyle.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was very sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

AOE 2 was great fun. I used to love playing that and watching movies of other people's strats.

I love that people can record their games in lots of these newer games. It can be like watching a great movie, with all the scenes cut out that you didn't want to see.

jason_t
10-13-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try Starcraft and more importantly Warcraft3. Both great....how is AOE3?....its hard to see how game play works from the screenshots

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't get into those games; they are too sci-fi/fantasy based for my tastes.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Tbey're also RTS's, completely different genre, pace, and feel.

Freakin
10-13-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsgroups bitches... It seriously took me like 50 minutes to download.

Freakin

stabn
10-13-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only knew how big a problem i have with this.

Freakin
10-14-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know. It could be any number of things.

You could
1) work at MS
2) have ethical problems with pirating
3) dislike newsgroups
4) prefer torrents
5) have gotten it faster
6) be jealous

I'm quite curious though. Please let me know.

Freakin

stabn
10-14-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could
1) work at MS
3) dislike newsgroups
4) prefer torrents
5) have gotten it faster
6) be jealous

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin
10-14-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could
1) work at MS
3) dislike newsgroups
4) prefer torrents
5) have gotten it faster
6) be jealous

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'd buy it now if I could. I play so few games now that I do buy them if I like them. It's kinda shooting yourself in the foot if you get everyone to pirate, because they game companies make less money, and the money they do make has to go partially towards better copyright protection...

I didn't worry about encouraging newsgroup use, because half the people on here don't have a decent free newsgroup service. Those that do probably don't know it. And no one is going to pay for a service just to pirate a game.

Sorry if I came across as an immoral pirate... I stopped that years ago.

Freakin

Blarg
10-14-2005, 12:11 AM
I enjoy a good game enough that I don't mind paying for it, myself. Game companies sometimes come and go, as do particular divisions and creative teams assembled just to make that game, so I like the idea of rewarding the ones who put out the non-sucky stuff. Plus, a really good game gives me so many hours of pleasure it comes out to practically nothing per hour of the game's lifetime, so a good game is pretty much a huge bargain.

cbfair
10-14-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with this assessment on the impact of Civ games. They're not a game, they're a lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea the degree to which we're a bunch of geeks here. I thought I was the only one who warned his wife months ago that the new Civ would be out soon. She knew immediately what that meant.

Also, to bdids, I'd agree that you may be looking for more of a simcity type building experience but don't write off civ3/civ4. There are lots of ways to rule a globe, I prefer (mostly) nonviolent ones myself. Found city, defend, build culture, expand, repeat. I've found cultural domination to be the most satisfying victory condition. I hope they continue to expand diplomacy and culture in civ4.

astroglide
10-14-2005, 12:20 AM
i downloaded the aoe3 demo when it came out, but i just don't have the patience to 'learn' these kinds of computer games anymore. i would have loved to play a colonial era rts with a basic tech tree.

mmbt0ne
10-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Sim Tower. I was never able to get to 100 floors to put the Wedding Chapel in though.

cbfair
10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sim Tower. I was never able to get to 100 floors to put the Wedding Chapel in though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss that one. Had it for Mac, was it ever released for PC?

Blarg
10-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Learning an RTS is nothing like as slow-paced as learning something like Sim City or a Civ game, Astro. Most people jump online immediately, to the great annoyance of everyone, without reading the manual or playing the single-player game first, or sometimes even taking a tutorial. They learn pretty quick, and it doesn't take much time.

It's playing the ones you wind up liking that eats up all the time.

ChipWrecked
10-14-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea the degree to which we're a bunch of geeks here. I thought I was the only one who warned his wife months ago that the new Civ would be out soon. She knew immediately what that meant.

Also, to bdids, I'd agree that you may be looking for more of a simcity type building experience but don't write off civ3/civ4. There are lots of ways to rule a globe, I prefer (mostly) nonviolent ones myself. Found city, defend, build culture, expand, repeat. I've found cultural domination to be the most satisfying victory condition. I hope they continue to expand diplomacy and culture in civ4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that Civ4 is going to give all cultures strategic resources, so you don't have to go to war just because you started in an area without saltpeter.

Freakin
10-14-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that Civ4 is going to give all cultures strategic resources, so you don't have to go to war just because you started in an area without saltpeter.

[/ QUOTE ]

But half the fun of that game is blood for oil!

Freakin

ChipWrecked
10-14-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
civ 4 comes out soon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But half the fun of that game is blood for oil!

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely part of the fun. I play kind of a 'hybrid' boomer style. I get annoyed if my plans are disrupted by lack of resources /images/graemlins/mad.gif and I have to attack before I'm ready. Also, my diplomacy is a little weak compared to the AI, so I have to remember to concentrate on trade or I fall way behind in tech.

whiskeytown
10-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Civ 4 is coming out this year - that could be even better.

Love Civ 3 -

RB

astroglide
10-14-2005, 01:39 AM
simcity games were doable without help. i 'learned' warcraft 3 by simply logging onto battle.net and playing until it made sense. it just looked like with aoe3 there were way too many options in the tech tree and it seemed like it was really straddling the fence between city-building and traditional attack rts gaming. i think i would like to play either games so long as they're simple enough to pick up and play, but if it's half of both i doubt it would be my bag. but it was just a first impression.

AngryCola
10-14-2005, 01:40 AM
While Civ3 is ultimately a better game than SC 4, they are obviously very different.

I think you'll be happier with SC 4, because that seems to be the kind of game you're after.

B Dids
10-14-2005, 02:03 AM
Update:

The Civ 3 that I umm... (stabn don't look) downloaded wouldn't work.

I played Sim City for a bit, but it's pretty boring. Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a compy of Civ 3.

jason_t
10-14-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Update:

I played Sim City for a bit, but it's pretty boring. Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a compy of Civ 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't regret. We can play together. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Update:

[/ QUOTE ]by now, Civ3 is probably really cheap. definitely worth it.

ChipWrecked
10-14-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Update:

[/ QUOTE ]by now, Civ3 is probably really cheap. definitely worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final patch edition, too.

AngryCola
10-14-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think you'll be happier with SC 4, because that seems to be the kind of game you're after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or not. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oski
10-14-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Update:

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me a PM, I'll mail you my CIV III and the expansion pack. I already ordered CIV IV, so I will not be playing Civ III anymore.

Reqtech
10-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Yesterday it was on sale at amazon for $5, too, in case anyone else is interested.