PDA

View Full Version : I should fold this turn right?

10-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Villain is 25/20/2.7 over 1.5k hands

I discussed this hand with a friend and he said I played it well, because villain might try to get me of a better hand here.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB

Entity
10-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Did you consider checking the turn?

I'd say get an extra bet in to 1: Get more information from the villain, and 2: take advantage of your position. If he caps the flop you know you are probably outkicked or he has a really good draw to the wheel. If he calls the 3 bet you will be able to take advantage of your position and check behind. He may also fear you have Ace rag and may have hit 2 pair w/ such a low board, and thus check down a good kicker.

(I suck at poker, so advice is likely wrong)

I would raise the flop, if you get 3 bet, he is showing something that he has something.

If you get 3 bet I would call, then fold to a turn bet.

If you get called on the flop and led into on the turn, it is a tough call, between calling and folding, I am leaning towards fold.

However, if you get called on your flop riase, and checked to on the turn I am betting out, and then folding to a check/raise, but if that doesn't happen I am thinking that I am ahead.

Margon

Lmn55d
10-13-2005, 11:46 AM
If you expect villain to raise or fold the turn after checking, entity's suggestion is optimal because you escape a checkraise and can induce a call on the river.

Him checkraising the turn is a definite possibility. Is him check/folding? He 3bet from the BB after you openraised from the button so his range isn't too narrow at this point. He could have KQ/KJ, but his most likely hands are a big ace or a pocket pair. If he has like 77/88 a good player would probably check/fold the turn because there's no draws and most players don't raise from the button with a hand that contains a 2 other than A2 which has 2 pair. If he has KQ/KJ he is gonna check/fold and he might bluff the river but probably not. This is all assuming he thinks you're decent by the way.

If he has TT-QQ he might be check/folding, however I think this is unlikely. You could have J9,T9,89, K9, or Q9 or be some donk who made a random flop peel. Thus I don't think many villains would check/fold. If they were gonna check/fold they probably would call a bet on the river. If they are gonna check/call, then why wouldn't they bet? The only reason to check/call would be to induce a bluff or prevent a bluff/semibluff raise from an aggressive player. Overall I think it's close because of the 9 on the flop. It really depends what he thinks of you. If you plan to call a checkraise, which is probably wise against an aggressive player but unwise against a typical solid player, I think checking is the best option.

10-13-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider checking the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't.
My first reaction is: Why would I give a free card/cheap showdown to someone who could have a worse hand than mine.
Not betting this turn when he has KK-TT, K9s would be terrible imo. ( Is it bad to give hands -which contain 2 spades or JT for the OESD- a free card? )
But after I think about it, I guess he would bet those hands again on the turn. So him checking means he's got a shitty hand that he will fold if I bet. Or he's got a good hand which he will raise if I bet.

So checking behind is the best option.. ?

I would like to know what others think about this.