PDA

View Full Version : Your middle round strategy?

10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I got this somewhere...
"
Mid-Level SnG Strategy
I've noticed that in the middle rounds most people adopt one of three strategies. Very rarely does one player use a combination of these strategies, which makes it easier to put them on a hand or to stay the hell out of their way. I think that many tournies are won or lost in these rounds (say from the T50/T100 - T200/400 blinds). I think that I can increase my ROI if I can play better in these rounds. Anyway, here's the three types of plays that I see

Limp-and-See. Especially in the middle rounds (say the 50/100 blinds), a lot of players love to limp and see the flop for cheap, the bet out strong (sometimes all-in) if they hit top pair or even a solid draw.

All-in every time. Some players love to only bet all in preflop from any position. This play is standard practice when you are short-stacked of course, but sometimes you'll see huge stacks go all-in from the CO or UTG with nothing in an attempt to steal blinds. As Sexton states, "This play works every time but once."

Raise and Represent. This is the most common technique used by players, and, in my opinion, the toughest to defend. The player raises anywhere from 1x to 3x the BB and then bets the pot after the flop. The player represents top pair no matter what the flop is (or obviously represents an over pair if the flop is all rags). "

I am using a limp and see strategy mostly if >13bb. Bet and represent rarely. What do you use?

10-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Depends on my cards and position. From early position I will limp with hands like AQ and 66. (you don't want to put a lot of chips at risk at this point with a hand you'll have to fold to a big re-raise) From late position I will raise with KJo or 10 9s. (like you said, it's tough to defend.)

FWIW, this scenario happens a lot to me: I have the same chips I had to start with 40 minutes into the tourney, then end up winning it without showing down more than 3-4 hands after that. So I think my strategy for the middle part works pretty well.

Paul Thomson
10-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I use all three and then some more. I limp when I'm in early position with middle pairs and AQ. And I only limp with the low to mid pairs if both I and the Blinds have deep stacks. Otherwise, I just fold them early.

I will Raise all-in with a big stack on the button or from the BB if folded to me and the BB has just less than 10BB. It puts them in a tough position. I will also defend by BB with raises all in if someone comes after my blinds from the button or CO but that's only if I or them has just less than 10BB.

I will ALWAYS raise from late position. Position is everything.

Last but not least, I try and pick on mid-stacks.

And protect my big stack by playing lots of small pots but not getting overly involved if I have missed.

small stack, I pick on the Middle stacks and do my best to find a hand to double up with.

housenuts
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
looking at my PT stats, albeit small sample size (74 $15+1 Turbos) I am winning chips at every level except 75/150 and 400/800. I can write off the 400/800 because that's only 10 hands.

at 75/150 I have 553 hands. yes, still a small size, but if i can figure out something, or at least think about something that will have an immediate effect on my results that would be great.

i figure at this stage i either:

a) have developed a decent stack
or
b) have just hung on and have around the original T1,500.

this leads me to 2 situations.

with a decent stack i'm probably making 3x BB raises only to be re-raised all-in by a desperate short stack. now sometimes i may feel i have the odds to call, and other times not and i just throw away T450. solution: be more selective with my raising hands. go after the mid-stacks.

the other situation is when i have a short stack and am desperate. although with 10BB i'm not really desperate yet it's getting close. i know i'm aggressive and probably start pushing mediocre hands too early. solution: be more selective? have more patience?

well...the sample size is small, but we'll see how this develops. any suggestions?