PDA

View Full Version : Pot control at the Commerce

10-13-2005, 09:53 AM
The last hand that I posted received a lot of criticism for failure to control the size of the pot with a marginal hand, and so I tried to apply that principle in my latest session at the Commerce 3/5 NL game.

First hand: Big Blind Special

I have about $1200 I'm dealt 82 off in the BB. Four or five limp (so pot is ~$30) and I check through. flop is T82 rainbow. I lead out for $20 and it's folded to the button (~$400 stack) who raises to $60. I call and my plan for the rest of the hand is to check-call - re-evaluating if villain makes a monster bet on the turn or river. Decent strategy or should I apply more preasure since the villain is short stacked? I this situation I don't think I'll get much action from hands that I have beat. Villain is an average player, not terribly aggressive - capable of this raise with AT/KT, open ended draw or two pair/set

Second hand: Another early position AJ

This one is from earlier in the session at the same 3/5 table. I only have $400 at the moment. I call BB from UTG with AJ. Multiple limpers. Pot around $30 for the flop. Flop is AKQ rainbow. I check. Player immediately to my left (with ~$700) bets $10. Three callers. I just call to keep the pot as small as possible with my marginal holding. Pot now $80 Turn is a 9 that matches the suit of one of the flop cards. Again I check. Player to my left bets $15. Folded to me. I call. Pot now 110. River is a blank. I check once more. Villain bets $60. I think for about 5 seconds and call, reasoning that two pair has to bet harder on the flop to sniff out a straight and that a flopped straight has to bet harder on the turn to push out potential flush draws. Decent?

mgsimpleton
10-13-2005, 12:00 PM
check calling is gross. there ar e better methods of pot control. hand 1: call flop, lead turn... if he raises then evaluate, probably muck. most likely he will just call you down... stay in control of the hand. hand 2: lead turn or check call is fine, lead river for 1/3 pot or so to get value from worse aces.