PDA

View Full Version : if you are anti-war and pay federal income tax...

10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
You aren't really anti-war.

(graphic image below)

http://www.thenausea.com/elements/usa/iraq2005/march/samara/samara_battle1.jpg

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 08:57 AM
What if you're just anti-federal income tax in general?

10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Well I'm anti-war. But there's no way out of legally paying taxes. I'd rather try to fix the problems through the proper avenues. If we could get a movement going that made sure the dollars we spend aren't going to a war, and say to the victims of hurricanes, I'd be part of that in a second.

BCPVP
10-13-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But there's no way out of legally paying taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it was you who was arguing in another thread that if you didn't want to pay taxes, you could just leave, was it not? By that reasoning, you really aren't anti-war because you haven't left yet...

jesusarenque
10-13-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But there's no way out of legally paying taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it was you who was arguing in another thread that if you didn't want to pay taxes, you could just leave, was it not? By that reasoning, you really aren't anti-war because you haven't left yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people say, "if you don't like it here, just leave." You do realize that other countries have immigration policies, don't you? You can't just up and move to another country. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get extended visas/citizenship in other countries.

BCPVP
10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Direct your post at timotheeeee, not me. It was he who made such an argument in another thread. If he's to be consistent, he should apply his "love it or leave it" principal here too.

jesusarenque
10-13-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Direct your post at timotheeeee, not me. It was he who made such an argument in another thread. If he's to be consistent, he should apply his "love it or leave it" principal here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't necessarily directing that at you. I just hear that a lot (in this forum and elsewhere), and it is just not realistic.

10-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I'll clarify. There's no way to legally not pay taxes and live in this country. It's not as if I can just be anti-war stop paying taxes and still live in the country whenever I want to. And I don't really see the leap from "you pay taxes" to "you're not anti-war". What if all my tax dollars happen to go to something else? It's not a logical inference to make. I pay the taxes required of me, the government does with it what it will. If I don't agree with what the government does with tax dollars, I'll protest and vote for someone else. Which is what I plan to (and did) do.

And I also don't agree with the "America love it or leave it" concept. There's a huge difference between me saying 'if you feel oppressed, and you have the right to leave, then you should' and 'if you don't love this country then leave'. All I did was point out he could leave if he wants to. I can hate America and still have every right to stay here. I can also do something about what I have problems with. There are plenty of ways to attempt to get what you want. If one does not want to pay any taxes, he can work inside the system (not equivalent to loving the system) or he can move. I understand there are immigration laws, but if you're 'oppressed' enough to want to move I'm sure you'll be willing to go through all the proper channels. Does your situation suck if you genuinely feel oppressed enough to move? Yes, it does. As it does for liberals who feel the country is being flushed down the toilet. I choose not to move, although I am aware of the right to do so. I'd rather stay and try to make a difference.

Anyways, I see a difference. If you don't then oh well.

stealyourface
10-13-2005, 03:42 PM
It's called CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.

hurlyburly
10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
What does the image do to further your cause? For all I know that guy had it coming.

I'm not anti-war because people die. I'm against the war in Iraq because I believe that our leaders should act rationally, ESPECIALLY during emotional times.

I have no problem with actions taken in Afghanistan, that was a valid response to 9/11. Iraq was an emotional vendetta.

QuadsOverQuads
10-13-2005, 06:20 PM
So, now you're trying to sell your agenda as being "antiwar"?

Please.

You people are against the income tax.

Attaching other causes is just sales and marketing.

q/q