PDA

View Full Version : Backing up DVDs

steelcmg
10-13-2005, 07:53 AM
So i have backed up a few movies that i have and have run all the test stuff that is in nero to make sure the burn worked. But i still get some of the movies that cannot play right. They still blip out and freeze up. I have no idea why they r doing this when nero says the burns are good. Im using some decent but not great Dvds (ridek dvd +R) I am lost on why they do this. The discs are clean and i do not see any scratches. Anyone have any ideas on whats causing this or what i can do to fix it. I have lowered my burn speeds and started making the files smaller by getting rid of stuff i dont need like extras and spanish audio.

ethan
10-13-2005, 08:17 AM
You may be having compatibility problems between your media and your player. Higher quality media's probably worth a shot - I've had good luck with Verbatim, you can get the 8x for <$0.50/ea and the 16x for around $0.80/ea.

You may have more luck at videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com/).

steelcmg
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Great thanks all the other sites i looked on dont have alot of active people on the forums so it takes forever.

10-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I have copied a lot of DVDs on my computer. I use DVD-R and never had any compatibility problems. DVD+R gave me problems too when I first started and tried them.

I also use a program called DVD Shrink (http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html) and it works beautifully. It can "shrink" a 8 GB DVD so it can be copied to a 4.7 GB DVD-R. You can't even notice the change of quality on your TV. Oh yeah, and it also overrides the copyright protection. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

steelcmg
10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Yea thats what i use im starting to think it has to do with the ridek dvds because they have changed there dye colors. I use the +R because i got a thing of the -R and most of them didnt work. I just bought some Taiyo Yuden +R today so ill see how they work once i get them.

I know that i have played some of these DVDs in my computer and everything works find but then my DVD player doesnt work fine so we will see if these DVDs are any better I hope they are because im sick of spending the time doing this then the dam thing doesnt work.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
I've used a huge number of Ridek -R's and had less than 1% problem disks. I also use DVD Shrink.

Some players just have idiosyncracies with certain brands of media. Ridek's are both great and cheap, but maybe they're not for you.

10-13-2005, 03:55 PM
I have used 5 or 6 different brands and seen no difference. However, I could only get DVD+R to play on certain DVD players. Never had a problem with DVD-R and I have made of 600 DVDs (almost all for myself). I have a nice collection.

ChipWrecked
10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
I have friends who do professional video production. Fwiw, they recommend -R for DVD stand-alone players, and +R only for archiving data for the computer.

butters
10-13-2005, 04:58 PM
i was having bad stuttering problems on my backups, especially towards the end of movies. recently, i've been turning off my firewall and virus scan programs before i burn, as well as keeping the size of the file below 4gb.

so far, so good.

fyi, my process is dvdshrink (rip dvd and copy files to harddrive) imgtool (create dvd image) dvddecrypter (write image to disc). all freeware.

Homer
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was having bad stuttering problems on my backups, especially towards the end of movies. recently, i've been turning off my firewall and virus scan programs before i burn, as well as keeping the size of the file below 4gb.

so far, so good.

fyi, my process is dvdshrink (rip dvd and copy files to harddrive) imgtool (create dvd image) dvddecrypter (write image to disc). all freeware.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use dvdshrink, then nero. You can get serial cracks for a certain version of nero (i forget which one) fairly easily, not that I would do that myself.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have used 5 or 6 different brands and seen no difference. However, I could only get DVD+R to play on certain DVD players. Never had a problem with DVD-R and I have made of 600 DVDs (almost all for myself). I have a nice collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like me. For what it's worth, I've read that more players are finicky about +R's than -R's. Doesn't matter if you watch on your computer, but if you're going to be putting the burns on different stand-alone players through the year, apparently -R is more likely to not be spit out by them.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so far, so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there some reason you use all those tools when dvdshrink does it all at once in an integrated fashion anyway?

ethan
10-13-2005, 06:14 PM
dvd rebuilder + dvd decrypter > dvd shrink.

If you need to compress the movie by more than 20% or so, the quality difference is noticeable. It will take longer, however. If you do get dvd rebuilder, I'd suggest paying the $10 to get the professional version.