PDA

View Full Version : The button is trying to steal, so can I semibluff here?

SoCalPat
05-28-2003, 10:32 PM
.5/1 at Paradise.

Loose-passive table, but on this hand, with J /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif in the BB, it's folded to the button, who raises. He seems like a reasonable player, so this perceived attempt at a steal seems like a reasonable move. I call, figuring this isn't a bad hand to go up against someone whom I believe is trying to steal the blinds.

FLOP K /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I check, button bets, I raise, button folds.

My reasoning (and tell me if this is good thinking): If he's trying to steal, he's going to pay a price against what should be for him, a scary board. As I've defended my blind against his raise, he should be putting me on a big card, and I can represent it.

Even though I don't have it, I've got nine outs to a flush (one of which gives me the nut flush), plus some gutshot options should a non-club 9, 10 or A fall (nine more "quasi-outs"). Can I consider the remaining six Js and 8s as outs here as well?

Finally, is worrying about the button having KK, QQ or KQ when he bets just a case of looking for monsters in the closet? Should I have been content to simply bet the turn, hope for improvement to the flush and get him for more expensive bets on later streets?

Thanks in advance.