PDA

View Full Version : I have Never. Seen this. Before. (some content)

private joker
10-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Especially at Commerce.

Live, $900/$1800. Standard table, as wild as usual. An aggro UTG open-raises. This means he has two cards that aren't total garbage. sLAG in EP calls. Fold to me in the CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif and I call. Horrible fish on the button calls, unknown in the SB calls, horrible fish in the BB calls.

6 to the flop for 6 BBs.

Flop comes: T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets out into the field. BB calls, original PFR calls, EP calls, I raise. Button cold-calls, SB 3-bets, BB calls, PFR now call-caps, EP cold-calls 3 more, I call, Button calls.

6 to the turn for 18 BBs.

Turn is 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Everyone checks to me. I think about this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=3622215 &Forum=,f3,&Words=A9s&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=3 622215&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=1&new erval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev= #Post3622215) and how everyone thought I was crazy to consider betting the turn. I think they were right, and I was right to check it. But now, I have 5 outs to the stone-cold nuts, and 8 more outs to the probable best hand. With that many great cards for me on the river, and 6 players still in the hand, I really think this is a value bet. So I bet. Button folds, everyone else calls. (This ends the content portion of the post)

5 to the river for 23 BBs. River brings the holiest of holies: A/images/graemlins/club.gif

Everyone checks to me, and I of course bet the nuts. Now something unbelievable happens. All 4 of my opponents fold.

The dealer pushes a 24 BB, $432 pot to me, and I slide my cards face down.

Has anyone EVER in a live cardroom seen anything like this? I mean -- what? There were 4 hands out there that were over 96% sure they were beaten? I mean, yeah it's gotta suck seeing that club on the river, and worse if it's an overcard to your pair -- but wha? Getting 24:1? At a place like Commerce, and virtually every cardroom in America, there's always a showdown in a medium-size pot and larger. In a pot of 10 BBs, some guy always says "Well I know you got me but the pot's big, so I'll keep ya honest." Sometimes they call with K-high.

Who lays down a hand in a 24 BB pot getting 24:1 after all the action up to that point? What hands are raising PF, what hands are check/3-betting and call-capping this flop?

I tried for the rest of the session to come up with 4 hands that weren't worth a call, and I couldn't do it.

I figured SB had 88, for the flopped OESD and mid-PP. This is a good hand to lead and 3-bet with. But since obviously nobody else had clubs (or I would have been called on the river), then what were the other hands? Does the original PFR have total crap and I had the wrong read on him? Maybe he had some Broadway overs with one club? KQ/QJ? Maybe there were 3 QJs out there. It's conceivable, but highly unlikely. And I can't fathom anyone laying down an A on the end there with top pair.

Anyway -- just weird. And I guess I was a bit mad that what I thought were implied odds were in fact not. I hit my draw and didn't get paid a penny more. Was K-high the best hand the entire time?

shant
10-13-2005, 06:04 AM
They all had 82o.

private joker
10-13-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They all had 82o.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you still hate live play? Think this would ever happen at Party 10/20?

TheHip41
10-13-2005, 06:24 AM
are you really playing 900-1800??

That's inconcievable to me.

JacksonTens
10-13-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means 9.00/18.00

JT

aK13
10-13-2005, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Especially at Commerce.

Live, $900/$1800

The dealer pushes $432 pot to me

[/ QUOTE ]

private joker
10-13-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever see this game at Commerce, with all the chips flying around, you'll appreciate my poetic liberties.

SoSo
10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Especially at Commerce.

Live, $900/$1800

The dealer pushes $432 pot to me

[/ QUOTE ]

rakes big in that game.

bugstud
10-13-2005, 07:39 AM
well, my best guess is that some combos of KQ, KJ, 8x, and maybe some pair+draw hands (JT?) are out there and the ones with pairs are the first to fold because they are squeezed.

toss
10-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Ah I thought you were going to say they check/capped the river for you. Nice pot there anyways. Is the game played with $3 chips?

private joker
10-13-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the game played with $3 chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 3/6 structure. 1/3 blinds. They keep it a hair under 10/20 because of the rule that 10/20+ has to comp food. Cheap bastards -- they spread a 9/18 so we have to pay to eat. But I love it; it plays like a micro-limit game because of the numbers. With $3 chips and a single-digit small bet, people psychologically feel like they're not playing 10/20. Saves us from the rocks and old nits.

toss
10-13-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 3/6 structure. 1/3 blinds. They keep it a hair under 10/20 because of the rule that 10/20+ has to comp food. Cheap bastards -- they spread a 9/18 so we have to pay to eat. But I love it; it plays like a micro-limit game because of the numbers. With $3 chips and a single-digit small bet, people psychologically feel like they're not playing 10/20. Saves us from the rocks and old nits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought about it that way. A single digit can have that much impact. Do they only comp booze for 10/20 and above too?

thesharpie
10-13-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You get free food at 15/30? I thought it was 20/40+.

[ QUOTE ]
Do they only comp booze for 10/20 and above too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they comp booze at any limit at Commerce. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

toss
10-13-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think they comp booze at any limit at Commerce. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

thesharpie
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Even bottled water is a buck + tip. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

toss
10-13-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even bottled water is a buck + tip. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They might as well start charging for the air too.

private joker
10-13-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You get free food at 15/30? I thought it was 20/40+.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the 15/30 is free food.

[ QUOTE ]
Do they only comp booze for 10/20 and above too?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is illegal to comp alcohol in the state of California.

onegymrat
10-13-2005, 04:35 PM
The club didn't kill your action, the ace did. For once, none of them had one.

private joker
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The club didn't kill your action, the ace did. For once, none of them had one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, getting 24:1 you'd think a Commerce gambooler would call with a pair smaller than aces.

What's up with the new avatar? The red chip stack has been around forever. I never knew you were this pretty in person!

onegymrat
10-13-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Still, getting 24:1 you'd think a Commerce gambooler would call with a pair smaller than aces.

[/ QUOTE ]True, and certainly you and I would make a crying call with any pocket pair, especially if we were to close the action. But the normal Commerce player is as silly as they are loose/aggressive therefore nothing surprises me anymore. So to answer your original question, yes, I have seen this before.

MaxPower
10-13-2005, 04:49 PM
You realy need to get out more. Yeah its a bit strange but these things happen.

peterchi
10-13-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But now, I have 5 outs to the stone-cold nuts, and 8 more outs to the probable best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 queens + Ac = 5 outs to the stone-cold nuts

4 8s + remaining 6 clubs = 10 more outs to the probable best hand

come on sk8er boi

private joker
10-13-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You realy need to get out more. Yeah its a bit strange but these things happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just since January 1, 2005 (when I started keeping exact records), I've played 131 sessions and 407 hours of B&M poker. How much more do you recommend I "get out?" Because I'd sort of like to have a life, too. I'd rather not cut into the time I also spend getting drunk, laid, and potentially arrested.

BTW Max, have you ever played the Commerce 9/18?

callmedonnie
10-13-2005, 05:53 PM
nice turn raise. tons of equity on w/ all those callers.

oh yea, and last night i ran real hot and picked up 100+ bets on party. ironically I won about three pots that were about 20 big bets w/out getting called on river for a single bet.