PDA

View Full Version : My Take On [censored]'s Actions

The Dude
10-13-2005, 04:34 AM
I used to post a lot in OOT. It was fun, the threads were new and interesting, my fellow posters were, with some exceptions, pretty cool, and I found myself here much more often than anywhere else on 2+2.

Now OOT sucks ass. Why? Because it's been flooded with millions of retarded infants who have no common sense, no guage of reality, no valid sense of humor, no dignity, no idea how to deal with women - really just no clue about anything. Put very simply, I have no desire to converse with them ever.

So I leave OOT. I occaisionally stop by, just to see if there's something interesting, but there never is. It's always some nonsensical bullshit about lame their girlfriend is, followed by countless responses of "SIIHP." But then one day I stumble on something about how [censored] is an [censored] and should have his mod privilegas revoked immediately. "Hmm. That's interesting, I always kind of liked [censored] (largelely because the first Ms. OOT was really cool), I wonder what's the problem."

So I do enough asking around, find out what's going on, and get a little excited. "Maybe there is hope for OOT," I say to myself. I think his plan is great.

Let me say quite frankly just how bad I think things are right now. Today's average OOTer is so lame, I'd be in favor of locking OOT from everybody who didn't have a post here before 6 months ago. Would we lose some good posters who have some valuable things to say? Sure. Would it be very unfair to them? Absolutely. But you know what? You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. If there's a little collateral damage, so what? It's for the greater good.

We're not talking about constitutional rights, people. If you're a retard, get the f*ck off my forum.

Any questions?

[censored]
10-13-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
locking OOT from everybody who didn't have a post here before 6 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take it under advisement. At the very least it is good know I can count on your support for the mass culling when it comes.

10-13-2005, 04:55 AM
I thought u loved me /images/graemlins/frown.gif Now that i dont have OOT i have to kill myself....thanks a lot

Vavavoom
10-13-2005, 05:04 AM
Why has everyone got some sort of ego on here....

Its a sub-forum, on a p*ker website that people drop by and read amusing stories/anecdotes etc etc...

I have no problem with [Censored] and his bannings but instead of cleaning the place up, its more cluttered with people criticising the bannings etc...

My problem is that some people are immune to the powers of the mods because they are mainstays of this forum...

For example, El Diablo makes a extremely valuable contribution to this forum and I imagine lots of people would agree with a lot of what he says. However, if another poster made a post about cufflinks and dress shirts, would the same response be generated if not completely ignored. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I lurked for 6-8 months prior to registering... I would be the first to admit that I may not start many, if any threads of any quality so I don't try to.

However the unecessary squabbling that has begun to occur since the new modding is getting tedious, and to suggest banning people who weren't here 6 months ago, is borderline stupidity.

Sorry, Reality Check time...this is a forum in which possibly 30% at the most don't play poker......So banning people who are regular posters on the other sub forums, doesn't make sense...Banning trolls, shills and other pests is not a problem with me....Just that all this whining between cliques is boring...

Apologies for the rant, but work has been boring this morning....

zephed
10-13-2005, 05:07 AM
Did you really have to make a new thread for this?

We've got 4 or 5 of these near the top of OOT, voice your opinion in there. This is why moderation sucks. Post after post about the "state of OOT" and moderation.

10-13-2005, 05:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now OOT sucks ass. Why? Because it's been flooded with millions of retarded infants

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it up with Mason. Tell him to keep new people from finding this site. It should be reserved for those of us who found it first.

Either that, or learn to live in a world of constant change. I know that can be tough on you old fogies, just take it one step at a time.

brassnuts
10-13-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now OOT sucks ass. Why? Because it's been flooded with millions of retarded infants

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it up with Mason. Tell him to keep new people from finding this site. It should be reserved for those of us who found it first.

Either that, or learn to live in a world of constant change. I know that can be tough on you old fogies, just take it one step at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of attitude is rude.

10-13-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?

Was I being rude to the old fogies? or was The Dude being rude to the newbies?

brassnuts
10-13-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like moving into a neighborhood of people who have lived on that land for decades, and being an ass, and then telling them to deal with it. It's flat out rude.

CardSharpCook
10-13-2005, 05:43 AM
I like reading the Dude's posts and imagining "The Dude" saying it. It is cool. however, whiny [censored] like this isn't. We should keep count of how many "whatever happened to OOT" or "[censored] is a [censored]" posts there in a given week. But seriously though, good job starting a new thread when you could have tagged it on to TSC's thread. No really, good job.

(vitriol aside, the dude is a good poster who is missed, but he must get off his high horse.)

10-13-2005, 05:57 AM
I've been perusing OOT for about a year now, and it's cool that people are concerned about the quality of this forum. But all of this drama and yearning for the good old days is getting a little tiresome.

My simple suggestion is to ignore posts you don't like, and focus your energy on contributing the sort of posts you like to see here.

That's all I'm saying on the subject, because frankly I think the subject sucks.

diebitter
10-13-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My simple suggestion is to ignore posts you don't like, and focus your energy on contributing the sort of posts you like to see here.

[/ QUOTE ]

brassnuts
10-13-2005, 06:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. As much as some people may bother me (and I may bother other people,) I personally am not in favor of bannings. I think I'm dabbling a little too much into pacifism.

DasLeben
10-13-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's like moving into a neighborhood of people who have lived on that land for decades, and being an ass, and then telling them to deal with it. It's flat out rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon...that's a serious overstatement. This is a public message board, where people can sign up and post as they please. This isn't The Dude's forum (though he seems to believe otherwise with his last remark), but rather is owned and operated by 2+2.

If they decide that they don't like what's going on in OOT, then they can do something about it. Until then, everyone (The Dude included) can just deal with it.

Just a note to the OP: I highly doubt more than 10% of this forum cares a whole lot about this post, or you in general. Leave, post, or do whatever. You're not going to cause a huge stir in OOT, no matter what you do. It may sound harsh, but hey, I'm just being realistic. Hell, this could be my last post on OOT, and I doubt anyone would give a [censored]. That goes for 99% of people in this forum.

brassnuts
10-13-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon...that's a serious overstatement. This is a public message board, where people can sign up and post as they please. This isn't The Dude's forum (though he seems to believe otherwise with his last remark), but rather is owned and operated by 2+2.

If they decide that they don't like what's going on in OOT, then they can do something about it. Until then, everyone (The Dude included) can just deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to make a big deal out of it. I just stated that that type of attitude is rude. And, it is. The forum doesn't literally belong to anyone. But, some people were here long before others. At one time, this forum was what they made of it. Now, it has changed. No reason to be rude about it.

aK13
10-13-2005, 07:12 AM
so what about us lurkers?

daryn
10-13-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, if another poster made a post about cufflinks and dress shirts, would the same response be generated if not completely ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about? that post is exactly what OOT should be all about! it's people with real issues and questions, asking other people who have real life experience. that one cufflinks post is the essence of OOT, and i didn't even read it. i'm just saying that's how it was in the "old days", just a bunch of smart people asking real questions.

Vavavoom
10-13-2005, 08:02 AM
But my point was just to illustrate that 1 persons cool post is another persons uncool post...

I wasn't having a pop at anyone...I just think the bitching on this website is silly...

So giving someone the power to ban at will is a dangerous tool on a public forum...

daryn
10-13-2005, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But my point was just to illustrate that 1 persons cool post is another persons uncool post...

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say that you are wrong. try coming up with a good question and posting it for proof.

[ QUOTE ]
So giving someone the power to ban at will is a dangerous tool on a public forum...

[/ QUOTE ]

"dangerous"? come on... you just said "dangerous tool" and "public forum" in the same sentence.

Vavavoom
10-13-2005, 08:19 AM
People view OOT as a realease from reading strategy etc...

Then they post something and get flamed by all the regulars...and now they can get banned f they are too new and ask too much of a silly question.

I for one can't be bothered to start defending what I said...I still think its quite sad how some people hide behind their PC screen on some sort of Power Trip...

I stick by my original statement, that giving a person the power to ban at will is dangerous...

This is getting silly though and away from the point....OOT is for other other topics....not topics that 1 mod finds acceptable...

hyde
10-13-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you some type of commie? You just described the American Way. Rude rules.

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
locking OOT from everybody who didn't have a post here before 6 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take it under advisement. At the very least it is good know I can count on your support for the mass culling when it comes.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about making a single ban/mod/bitch thread and sticky it and if anyone posts a ban/mod/bitch post outside of that thread, well, you know what happens to them.

daryn
10-13-2005, 09:55 AM
i think this is a good idea...

then, ban everyone who posts in it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

just kidding idiots

Zeno
10-13-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At the very least it is good know I can count on your support for the mass culling when it comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The throbbing masses need culling. This starts soon, right?

-Zeno

4_2_it
10-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I guess if the mass culling includes everyone was signed up in the last months I will be swept away with the dregs.

I request that [censored] utilize the five point palm-exploding heart technique for my culling as I would like to exit in dignity.

Of course, I would like to stay and be a productive member of OOT, but I understand that hard times sometimes call for hard measures.

Zeno
10-13-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so what about us lurkers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should be doing something useful like reading a good book.

-Zeno

Zeno
10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

None at all.

Good Post.

-Zeno

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess if the mass culling includes everyone was signed up in the last months I will be swept away with the dregs.

I request that [censored] utilize the five point palm-exploding heart technique for my culling as I would like to exit in dignity.

Of course, I would like to stay and be a productive member of OOT, but I understand that hard times sometimes call for hard measures.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the type of attitude more people need to have.

If I got banned for something, I'd be annoyed but oh well. I'd probably ask to be unbanned and/or open a new account or just quit posting here. Big deal.

I wish everyone would get over themselves. Yesterday had a lot of funny/interesting topics and I don't recall off the top of my head any of them being about bannings or the quality of OOT. All of the sudden today we have like 5 bitch threads. I of course blame Mbenhoe.

Ulysses
10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, if another poster made a post about cufflinks and dress shirts, would the same response be generated if not completely ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it very likely would have generated a good response, because it was a fundamentally solid thread. Also look at the "Best SNL commercial" "Best post-SNL career" "Books I've read lately" and "Songs you are embarrassed to like" for examples of other good threads.

They all share common characteristics.

Voltron87
10-13-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it very likely would have generated a good response, because it was a fundamentally solid thread. Also look at the "Best SNL commercial" "Best post-SNL career" "Books I've read lately" and "Songs you are embarrassed to like" for examples of other good threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

el d, the cuff links thread definitely had the good fundamentals of a succesful thread but there is no doubt in my mind that threads you start will get more attention then other peoples threads. the cuff links thread would have been good from anyone, but the person has a point.

Vavavoom
10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said - i wasn't having a dig...i was just saying that the more respected posters get a lot more leeway than people who are new....At some point everyone must have been new....

That was all I was saying....

I read most threads and don't hardly start any - I'm ashamed to admit that...My contribution is a lot less impressive than someone like yours....However, My original point was along the lines of :

"if your face doesn't fit, a mod can arguably ban you....", and there are a lot of solid posters on this forum who are saying there are certain cliques on here !

However, this is a silly argument anyway...."

I understand that those threads all have similar traits...

However, For example....The "beedog thread" was almost deleted my [censored]...yet it generated a lot of amusement for several other posters.....Thats what I'm trying to get at...One persons cool is anothers uncool and vice versa !

vulturesrow
10-13-2005, 11:17 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
but there is no doubt in my mind that threads you start will get more attention then other peoples threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why might this be the case? Maybe because El D has a history of making good posts? I know for sure there are threads that I will click just because certain posters made them. El D is one of them, because he is a good poster.

Ulysses
10-13-2005, 12:09 PM
The beedog thread was a great link, but of course not a great poll/discussion. [censored] messed up and did not notice the link. Without the link, that was stupid. Just a misunderstanding.

Ulysses
10-13-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flip side, "Who has a printer at home poll" ? Yuck.

Sponger15SB
10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, I must have missed that one. Can anyone post a link or bump it for me? Thanks.

bwana devil
10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Today's average OOTer is so lame, I'd be in favor of locking OOT from everybody who didn't have a post here before 6 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive been on 2+2 for a year and half ever since then everyone's been talking about the glory days of OOT. six months ago you had just as many knuckleheads in OOT as today. that's probably when every other post was something about pooper or a picture of that stupid burning moutain of dung.

that being said i think [censored] is out of control and if i was a mod my first act would be to ban him. im tired of seeing him here. i just found out yesterday that the ignore function does not work on mods. balance is a wonderful thing. learn to use it [censored].

bwana

istewart
10-13-2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.musicforamerica.org/files/images/aggression_shirt_front-36825_640x480.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Agreed.

Slow Play Ray
10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I need to understand this. You may be amazed to find that I posted this poll, not for the amusement of everyone in OOT, but to satisfy my own curiosity as to what percentage of people actually bother to own a printer. So if my intention was not to amuse everyone, but instead to have a question answered for me, what difference does it make?

Darwin's theory of natural selection dictates that the "weak" threads will quickly fall of the front page and lose out to the stronger threads. So would someone, please tell me why you are all wasting SOOO much time trying to "fix" OOT? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Darwin's theory of natural selection dictates that the "weak" threads will quickly fall of the front page and lose out to the stronger threads. So would someone, please tell me why you are all wasting SOOO much time trying to "fix" OOT? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]for some reason darwins theory currently does not apply here.

Slow Play Ray
10-13-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"strong" vs. "weak" in this case are based solely on the participants' opinions, as opposed to actual physical ability. If it's on the front page, people are reading it - plain and simple.

Ulysses
10-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Mainly, it's a volume issue. If a lot of people post crap threads, then good threads get pushed off the front page and potentially don't get read or die away prematurely.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"strong" vs. "weak" in this case are based solely on the participants' opinions, as opposed to actual physical ability. If it's on the front page, people are reading it - plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]the fact that people are responding to a thread does mean it is a good one.

Slow Play Ray
10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
what about to the people responding???

and for the record, there are now 4 threads on the front page about "cleaning up" OOT. how is this a good thing?

by the way, do you guys realize you can make the "first" page as big as you'd like? just change the "total parent posts to show per page" in your display preferences to whatever you'd like. mine is set to 40.

imported_anacardo
10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by the way, do you guys realize you can make the "first" page as big as you'd like? just change the "total parent posts to show per page" in your display preferences to whatever you'd like. mine is set to 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I've seen anybody mention this. Looks like the "secret" is out... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2planka
10-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Seems like we go through this "clean up OOT" phase about twice a year. Usually happens around the beginning of college semesters for some reason... coincidence?

Meh... it'll pass.

The Goober
10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The basic problem is that OOT has turned into a nasty place where everyone is a wanna-be bully looking for a weak target. When someone makes a crappy post, a bunch of people jump all over it because it gives them a chance to insult another poster and make themself feel stronger. Just look at this thread - half of the posts are somewhere between condescending and downright vicious.

Everybody is too wrapped in all the hating to have any interesting discussions. That's why the [censored]'s mass-culling isn't going to fix anything - it's like trying to bring about peace by starting a war.

Aloysius
10-13-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The basic problem is that OOT has turned into a nasty place where everyone is a wanna-be bully looking for a weak target. When someone makes a crappy post, a bunch of people jump all over it because it gives them a chance to insult another poster and make themself feel stronger. Just look at this thread - half of the posts are somewhere between condescending and downright vicious.

Everybody is too wrapped in all the hating to have any interesting discussions. That's why the [censored]'s mass-culling isn't going to fix anything - it's like trying to bring about peace by starting a war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goober - those are some very nice sentiments you're making. But as an infrequent poster on OOT, or any internet forum, even I can see that it's fairly ludicrous sentiment (unless you're being sarcastic and I'm totally missing it). Are there really these type of "power" dynamics occuring between weak and "strong" posters - who don't know each other at all?

Isn't 2+2 / OOT a public forum with anonymous users contributing? If that's the case - how is anyone being impacted by a condescending post, a ridiculing post, or a "nasty" one? Unless they are friends with the poster, like, you know, in the real life, why is there any problem here?

Unless you are saying that nasty / condescending posts have no value on public forums such as these. And I say - clearly they do as they serve as an important policing function for the forum. For example - I just posted somethign stupid this morning. Someone pointed out that it was dumb. It was! I'm OK with that...

The Goober
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
All I really meant was that people are more interested in pointing out why posts are dumb than just ignoring them. Then we get these retarded little OOT wars with people picking sides and flaming each other and then the whole forum is just people pointing at each other and saying "you ruined this forum!" I don't think that mass banning is going to fix this because someone is always going to be around to complain about who got banned and why, and thus start the whole thing over again.

I agree with you that no one should have any emotional investment in what strangers say about them on the internet. The level of vitriol that I see here sometimes, though, makes me think that maybe this isn't always the case.

Aloysius
10-13-2005, 07:53 PM
I think that when people are rude to each other on this forum it's hilarious and instructive - it's like tough love. Setting a standard of forum excellence.

I can't imagine the people being vitriolic are actually taking this too seriously - seems like it's in good fun.

If there's actual antipathy between posters they must know each other outside of this forum and use it as a vehicle to upset one another, which, to your point Goober, seems unfair to the forum as a whole.

Oh - and if one is filled with lots of anger at a poster they know only inside the forum - I mean - couldn't that person be some bored 15-year old kid with alot of time on his hands looking to piss people off?

2+2 wannabe
10-13-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's like making your own little cliquey group after being fortunate enough to find this forum before many others, and telling everyone that comes after you that they're douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP