PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to look cool wearing a bike helmet?

Go_Blue88
10-12-2005, 10:46 PM
I feel like anyone who wears a bike helmet looks ridiculous. It's like drinking out of a straw on a date--there's no way to do it in a cool way. The chick sitting next to me in the computer lab just put one on and she was pretty cute, but the helmet just ruins everything. Also, one of my buddies always wears one around, which causes him to look like one of those guys who plays Dungeons and Dragons.

Thoughts?

Vote4Pedro
10-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Nope

CardSharpCook
10-12-2005, 10:48 PM
agreed. That plus the sweaty head factor lead me to not wear one when I ride. But most people do, and it might actaully save their life one day. I'm a tool for not wearing a helmet and so are you.

toddw8
10-12-2005, 10:51 PM
In the french alps wearing a yellow jersey?

CardSharpCook
10-12-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the french alps wearing a yellow jersey?

[/ QUOTE ]

NH, sir!

Skipbidder
10-12-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like anyone who wears a bike helmet looks ridiculous. It's like drinking out of a straw on a date--there's no way to do it in a cool way. The chick sitting next to me in the computer lab just put one on and she was pretty cute, but the helmet just ruins everything. Also, one of my buddies always wears one around, which causes him to look like one of those guys who plays Dungeons and Dragons.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lance Armstrong looks cool in a bike helmet.

Otherwise, no. You will look like a dork.

On the other hand, one of my patients right now looks very uncool because he had no helmet. Actually, the foam heel protectors that he wears now are pretty spiffy. (These are to try to prevent the ulcers from forming on his heels because he can't move them any more.) The pulsations you can see in his head where one part of his skull used to be are also pretty interesting looking.

10-12-2005, 10:55 PM
http://anand.mindvelocity.ca/albums/album03/PDRM0846.jpg

Bleeding and still not cool

fluxrad
10-12-2005, 10:56 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/armstrong_lance050719.jpg

Meh. Pretend the man above did not win 7 Tours De France. He would look like a tool.

gorie
10-12-2005, 10:57 PM
this is absurd. drinking out of a straw always looks cooler than not drinking out of a straw.

Go_Blue88
10-12-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lance Armstrong looks cool in a bike helmet.

Otherwise, no. You will look like a dork.

On the other hand, one of my patients right now looks very uncool because he had no helmet. Actually, the foam heel protectors that he wears now are pretty spiffy. (These are to try to prevent the ulcers from forming on his heels because he can't move them any more.) The pulsations you can see in his head where one part of his skull used to be are also pretty interesting looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah...that was sorta a downer.

Go_Blue88
10-12-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is absurd. drinking out of a straw always looks cooler than not drinking out of a straw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. I always have the habit of leaning my head down to the table like some weird animal to drink from the straw. This looks very uncool. And if you pick up the glass to drink from the straw, then you may as well just drink without it. Drinking through a straw makes people look like 5 year olds.

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Why the hell was a girl wearing a helmet in the computer lab?

gorie
10-12-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. I always have the habit of leaning my head down to the table like some weird animal to drink from the straw. This looks very uncool. And if you pick up the glass to drink from the straw, then you may as well just drink without it. Drinking through a straw makes people look like 5 year olds.

[/ QUOTE ]

please stop hating straws.

10-12-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to look cool wearing a bike helmet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Riding next to a biker wearing spandex helps.

When driving past these guys I usually yell "FAGGOT SPANDEX!" or some variant at the top of my lungs. Shakes'em out of their Lance Armstrong fantasies and gives'em something to think about while they're tooling around.

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Drinking through a straw on a date can only be cool if you deliberately try to look like a tool doing it and make a joke out of it.

FWIW, I always take the straw out of my drink when I get it at a restaurant.

gorie
10-12-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I always take the straw out of my drink when I get it at a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you eat brown m&ms or do you just throw those away too ?

everyone should drink from straws.

theben
10-12-2005, 11:26 PM
there is absolutely no way for a dude to wear a bike helmet and not look like a loser. the only time you can get away with it is as a JOKE

however, a cute girl can get away with it just fine. if shes attractive without the bike helmet, she'll still be hot with it on. just in a strange, geeky sort of way

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Bicycle helmets are for losers. You should wear a football helmet everywhere you go.

gorie
10-12-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should wear a football helmet everywhere you go.

[/ QUOTE ]
at least we agree on this.

MikeNaked
10-12-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When driving past these guys I usually yell "FAGGOT SPANDEX!" or some variant at the top of my lungs. Shakes'em out of their Lance Armstrong fantasies and helps repress my surging, homoerotic desires.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Dominic
10-12-2005, 11:40 PM
i think it's cooler-looking than wearing your bloody brains on the outside of your head after you crash with no helmut on.

bosoxfan
10-12-2005, 11:43 PM
It's like a bike helmet only cooler

http://cool3design.hadgama.co.il/cool3design/pictures/centurion_helmet01.jpg

bwana devil
10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When driving past these guys I usually yell "FAGGOT SPANDEX!" or some variant at the top of my lungs. Shakes'em out of their Lance Armstrong fantasies and gives'em something to think about while they're tooling around.

[/ QUOTE ]

lockhart, texas. so close to austin yet so far away...thankfully.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 11:49 PM
When did all this noinsense with bike helmets get started anyway? Growing up we never even heard f such a thing. We rode bikes everywhere and I never knew anyone that hurt his head. We sure as hell did more dangerous stuff than just riding down the street. What's the deal with this crap?

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When did all this noinsense with bike helmets get started anyway? Growing up we never even heard f such a thing. We rode bikes everywhere and I never knew anyone that hurt his head. We sure as hell did more dangerous stuff than just riding down the street. What's the deal with this crap?

[/ QUOTE ]

riding without a helmet is 10x more dangerous than with one, if youre at a significant speed. huge safety benefit.

oh yeah, [censored] seatbelts too.

kyro
10-12-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are the man. seriously. I WANT TO BE YOU.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
riding without a helmet is 10x more dangerous than with one, if youre at a significant speed. huge safety benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious difference being that I've never heard of anyone dying on a bike. I'm sure it happens with or without helmets but I've never heard of anyone, whereas i know of any number of people that have died in car wrecks. I think people just go around looking for [censored] to be afraid of nowadays.

10-12-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, actually it's the Austin riders that I yell at. We don't have spandex wearing queers in Lockhart. I think you'd get your ass kicked for wearing something like that here.

bwana devil
10-12-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that reminds me of a story...

i was dating a girl and her mom's telling me this story about when the girl is just an infant and the parents are newly married. theyre driving through the mountains and come around a corner and a semi truck has crossed the lanes and headed right at them.

so the mom says she quickly picked up the infant girl off the dashboard and tucked her in her arms and the husband hugged the shoulder...

i cut her off and said "excuse me you had your daughter on the dashboard?"

the mom was just so matter of fact and said oh yeah that's what everyone did w/ babies in the 70s.

bwana

MikeNaked
10-13-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, actually it's the Austin riders that I yell at. We don't have spandex wearing queers in Lockhart. I think you'd get your ass kicked for wearing something like that here.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEEEEEEEHOOOOO!
http://www.thundercountry949.com/articles/images/redneck%20swimming%20hole%201.jpg

10-13-2005, 12:03 AM
The only way to look cool wearing a bike helmet is if you're one of those disabled people who wear it because they hit themselves in the head all the time....Well I take that back it isn't as cool as much as I find it funny.

Voltron87
10-13-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious difference being that I've never heard of anyone dying on a bike. I'm sure it happens with or without helmets but I've never heard of anyone, whereas i know of any number of people that have died in car wrecks. I think people just go around looking for [censored] to be afraid of nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

its the difference between brain damage and a bump on your head. i agree with you have people going apeshit over improbable accidents but this is legitimate.

i wasnt implying you dont value seatbelts, i just think theyre pretty comparable.

bwana devil
10-13-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps maybe you should stay in lockhart where youd feel more comfortable then. we'd both appreciate it.

ive read posts by you on here before and you scare me. keep your ford pick up truck w/ the confederate flag bumper sticker in lockhart please.

bwana

10-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Really? I've read your posts before but I can't remember any of them because you're such a bland crybaby.

bwana devil
10-13-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Really? I've read your posts before but I can't remember any of them because you're such a bland crybaby.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man, im from austin. being a crybaby is my thing.

bwana

ChipWrecked
10-13-2005, 12:56 AM
I ride a bike to and from work every night and morning. I wear one o' them helmets because I avoid brain damage that way; the kind I get from my wife going upside my head for not wearing one.

Seriously, I lurk on a large cycling forum (I used to post there but the shrillness of the whining pussies hurt my ears) and whether or not helmets do any good is probably the major debate among cyclists. One guy linked to a study that stated in the abstract that they drew a line between skull fractures and brain damage. I'll wear the helmet, thanks.

BTW, Doc. I personally don't pay any attention to anything said by somebody in a motor vehicle. If it's not solid and winging toward my head, it's not worth it. I have noticed, however, that "Hey, Lance!" is what I hear just before a bottle comes my way. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, yeah. I wear mountain bike shorts and a T-shirt. Wool sweater in winter. Spandex is for faggots.

10-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Like the old saying goes, "Sticks and stones may break bones but words only hurt me if I truly am a spandex wearing queerbo aberration against nature."

dibbs
10-13-2005, 01:37 AM
I think the root question is "is there anyway to look cool riding a bike?"

I'm half kidding.

Go_Blue88
10-13-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm half kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I considered this. But I don't think bikes make people look dorky unless they're struggling to get up a hill. On the other hand, I think rollerblades make most people look like idiots. I played hockey for 15 years, and even I look stupid when I rollerblade.

Go_Blue88
10-13-2005, 01:51 AM
To those of you who keep bringing up the protective benefits of wearing a helmet---

Ya, obviously. I was just saying that they make people look funny; I wasn't advocating not wearing one.

ChipWrecked
10-13-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm half kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Females enjoy the ass that regular cycling will build on you. I'm not kidding.

On second thought, you don't want to look like a dork. Keep sitting in front of your computer.

dibbs
10-13-2005, 02:08 AM
No need to get defensive.

gamblore99
10-13-2005, 02:15 AM
A friend got in a bike accident recently. Was going down a small hill. She picked up a little speed and hit a rock or something and went flying. Broke both wrists, huge bruise on leg, and would have cracked her skull open if she had not been wearing a helmet. This wasn't mountain biking on some crazy path or anything, it was on a regular bike path.

The moral of the story is wear a helmet.

Also, if you do get in an accident without a helmet, you will look like a huge tool because you didn't wear a helmet. Especially if your reason was "it looks dorky".

Go_Blue88
10-13-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you do get in an accident without a helmet, you will look like a huge tool because you didn't wear a helmet. Especially if your reason was "it looks dorky"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all are aware of this man.

10-13-2005, 03:03 AM
We dont get any "helmet's are cool" posts from dead people

ddollevoet
10-13-2005, 10:18 AM
This guy thinks it is cool to wear a helmet...

http://www.hawkesbaymtb.co.nz/gallery/matt_jump.jpg

RollaJ
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ya, I considered this. But I don't think bikes make people look dorky unless they're struggling to get up a hill. On the other hand, I think rollerblades make most people look like idiots. I played hockey for 15 years, and even I look stupid when I rollerblade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop lowering your sholder when you get near other roller bladers and you'll be fine

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gildwulf
10-13-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas sounds just like I pictured it in my mind.

ChipWrecked
10-13-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas sounds just like I pictured it in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus the old saying, "If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas."

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend got in a bike accident recently. Was going down a small hill. She picked up a little speed and hit a rock or something and went flying. Broke both wrists, huge bruise on leg, and would have cracked her skull open if she had not been wearing a helmet. This wasn't mountain biking on some crazy path or anything, it was on a regular bike path.

The moral of the story is wear a helmet.

Also, if you do get in an accident without a helmet, you will look like a huge tool because you didn't wear a helmet. Especially if your reason was "it looks dorky".

[/ QUOTE ]
Between the ages of 7-13 I and my friends did some really dumb [censored] on bikes sans helmets and we all at one time or another took some horrendous wipeouts. Yet strangely none of us ever injured our heads.

The worst is the kids wearing helmets these days that don't have them on right. If you're going to make your kid wear one, at least make sure they're wearing it in such a way that it will actually do something in case of accident.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98062w.jpg
http://www.nfpa.org/sparky/images/cool/bike_safety/ritebike.gif

FrankStallone
10-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Dan druff wore one growing up and he is super cool

B Dids
10-13-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have hard time understanding how a moron like yourself was able to understand The Watchman at all.

It's hard to look cool with a bike helmet, but it's harder to look cool with a head wound.

Victor
10-13-2005, 12:43 PM
i know 4 ppl who have been seriously messed up from bike accidents. 2 died. 1 is a paraplegic and 1 went crazy.

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i know 4 ppl who have been seriously messed up from bike accidents. 2 died. 1 is a paraplegic and 1 went crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unclear whether this post si a joke or not, but here goes...

1) Would a helmet have prevented the broken spine that caused him to be paralyzed?

2) Is insanity a common result of bicycle accidents? Wtf?

3) Who the hell knows four people that have been messed up in bike accidents? You're either a troll or a member of the Bicycle-Riding Retards of America.

namknils
10-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Jake, I'm surprised you're so seemingly against cyclists and helmets. I'll just go ahead and say it's dumb of you to say that the whole helmet craze is just people looking for things to be scared of, or whatever your quote was.

As for me. I bike often, and I race too. I don't care what the helmet looks like to others, I always where one no matter what.

And as for spandex, yes I do wear it! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I wear it for every race of course, because it is much faster. As for training, I'll usually wear it for a hard work out, but if I'm just commuting to work or something I'll opt for basketball shorts.

Cycling is awesome, I love it. I wonder how many of the people here bashing it are fat asses that would break a bike if they sat on it? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I don't care if people just don't like the sport, but throwing things at and yelling at cyclist is just stupid.

Victor
10-13-2005, 01:10 PM
motorists are very mean to bikers. this thread displays some such actions.

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, I'm surprised you're so seemingly against cyclists and helmets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not at all against cyclists or helmets. People can wear whatever they want. I'm against people telling me I should or have to wear something I personally find silly. As for the spandex, why don't you people just pad your bicycle seats instead of wearing those funny pants? I mean, I don't care what your ass looks like, namkills, but there are some bicycle-riding asses that shouldn't be covered up with a layer of foam. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Victor
10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, I'm surprised you're so seemingly against cyclists and helmets. I'll just go ahead and say it's dumb of you to say that the whole helmet craze is just people looking for things to be scared of, or whatever your quote was.

As for me. I bike often, and I race too. I don't care what the helmet looks like to others, I always where one no matter what.

And as for spandex, yes I do wear it! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I wear it for every race of course, because it is much faster. As for training, I'll usually wear it for a hard work out, but if I'm just commuting to work or something I'll opt for basketball shorts.

Cycling is awesome, I love it. I wonder how many of the people here bashing it are fat asses that would break a bike if they sat on it? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I don't care if people just don't like the sport, but throwing things at and yelling at cyclist is just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

i will add that the spandex shorts much easier on the ass.

LALDAAS
10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"FAGGOT SPANDEX!"

[/ QUOTE ]

AKA Grape smugglers

namknils
10-13-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, I'm surprised you're so seemingly against cyclists and helmets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not at all against cyclists or helmets. People can wear whatever they want. I'm against people telling me I should or have to wear something I personally find silly. As for the spandex, why don't you people just pad your bicycle seats instead of wearing those funny pants? I mean, I don't care what your ass looks like, namkills, but there are some bicycle-riding asses that shouldn't be covered up with a layer of foam. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My ass looks good, really good. The wife LOVES spandex. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ok, your post makes good points, and the original post to is only about looking dorky. That's fine, I don't think they look cool necissarily (sp?) but I wear it for safety. The rest of the thread though has gone off from looking dorky and poking fun, to people proudly bragging that they yell "Faggot!" out the window while passing a biker.

namknils
10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

AKA Grape smugglers

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny! I've never heard this before.