PDA

View Full Version : Short term investments for $30K

Rooster71
10-12-2005, 06:06 PM
My girlfriend has an online account paying a little over 3% which contains about $30,000 which she plans to use for down payments on investment property within the next few years. No deals are currently in the works, but the funds need to be accessible within 30 days notice (that is why they are in a savings account).

Any ideas on short term investments that may provide better than 3.5% return and that can be accessible within 30-60 days without penalty or substantial chance of loss of capital?

Thanks

Sniper
10-12-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or substantial chance of loss of capital?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define your risk level? (ie what does substantial mean to you?)

Peter666
10-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Ok, I want to hear your pick. I am willing to lose 50% of my investment, if it has to potential to make great interest withing the next 4 months. Let's hear it.

lastsamurai
10-14-2005, 02:52 AM
put 3 K a year in a roth ira. If you are a first time home buyer* you could put a down payment of 10K w/o without penalty

* the defination of a first time home buyer is if you havent own a house in two years.

Rooster71
10-14-2005, 03:48 PM
It's pretty much impossible to clarify "significant" without some sort of example. I am thinking something along the lines of tax lien certificates. These are not necessarily quickly redeemable, but if they are spread out in amounts between $500 and $1000 each, there would most always be some capital available as they are redeemed. She is pretty flexible.

In response to another post, she already owns a home. And these funds are non-401k savings.