PDA

View Full Version : Renting/Buying a cel phone for Europe?

kenberman
10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I go to Europe a decent amount for work, but not enough to justify me getting a work cel phone (I don't think). but, it would be nice to have a phone while I am over there. I'm a Verizon customer, and really don't want to switch to any GSM provider (Cingular, T Mobile), b/c Verizon has much better service where I live.

I suppose I could buy one of the Verizon World phones, but I don't really like those, and I don't want to be stuck at home with a phone I don't like. for Europe usage, I'm not particular.

so, are there any good options for me?

mason55
10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Just get a pay as you go plan. You can buy the phone the first time you're over there and refill the minutes whenever you need them.

kenberman
10-12-2005, 05:17 PM
any suggested providers? I don't know much about SIM cards/ European providers.

mason55
10-12-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea, I'm an American.

partygirluk
10-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Buy a pay as you go phone over here. It will work anywhere in Europe, and you will not have monthly charges. It means that the per minute charges are fairly high, but it sounds like the best deal for your needs.

SammyKid11
10-12-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an American, too...but I've worked over there a lot. I believe Orange has a pretty good pay-as-you-go plan (oh wait, that's UK...dunno if you're on mainland Europe). Any electronics shop in major European cities will have lots of options for you, all laid out by price, etc. Should really be an easy event, especially considering you've travelled extensively over there.

partygirluk
10-12-2005, 06:03 PM
You won't have a prblem getting a phone - for pay as you go you do not have to register, you just buy the phone, charge it up, buy credit and go. There are tonnes of mobile phone shops.

daveymck
10-12-2005, 06:09 PM
If you are travelling round europe then I am not sure PAYG is the right option for you call charges outside of say the UK would be pretty high eg if calling the states all the time.

There may well be mainland europe services that offer better roaming packages but as far as I know the uk tends not too we dont get out as much. Vodaphone has some offers but I suspect they are for calling back to the UK.

Just checked Oranges prices and payg calling from france is over $2 a minute and just over $1 a minute to receive calls. Seems to be a pretty much standard price for mainland europe so getting a UK phone probably isnt worth it.

kenberman
10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
bump.

I indeed travel to most of Western Europe, so I need a rate/plan that will be reasonable in all countries. are all PAYG plans > $1/minute? that doesn't seem very practical. I guess it's fine as an 'emergency' phone, but I wouldn't use it for, you know, actual conversations.

are there any other solutions out there for me?

TheCroShow
10-13-2005, 01:52 PM
cingular OWNS, they have some decent int'l roaming packages that lower your roaming charges. only suggestion i have, but you don't want cingular so this post is pointless =/

InchoateHand
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
The right answer was already given. Please stop sucking and bumping bad threads, where correct answers have already been given. And nobody should have loyalty to a cellular service such that they would write "Company XXX OWNS," ever.

TheCroShow
10-13-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And nobody should have loyalty to a cellular service such that they would write "Company XXX OWNS," ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

u should stop posting

irishpint
10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

last year virgin was the best/cheapest for me. cheap phones, good rates, etc. pay a you go certainly.

daveymck
10-13-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

last year virgin was the best/cheapest for me. cheap phones, good rates, etc. pay a you go certainly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Virgin still getting on for $2 a call once outside the uK though

Virgin Tariff (http://www.virginmobile.com/mobile/services/abroad/payasyougo/tariff_coverage.jsp)

kenberman
10-13-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The right answer was already given. Please stop sucking and bumping bad threads, where correct answers have already been given. And nobody should have loyalty to a cellular service such that they would write "Company XXX OWNS," ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the correct answer. plenty of people have helped out though, ironically, except yourself.

InchoateHand
10-13-2005, 05:15 PM
The right answer was given. Walk into one of the thousands of cellphone shops, and they will get you a pay-as-you-go phone thats cheapest/most practical for your needs.

And that isn't irony.

kenberman
10-13-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The right answer was given. Walk into one of the thousands of cellphone shops, and they will get you a pay-as-you-go phone thats cheapest/most practical for your needs.

And that isn't irony.

[/ QUOTE ]

please don't reply to my posts anymore, tx.

InchoateHand
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Sure, won't happen again.