PDA

View Full Version : weird movie coincidence

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 04:50 PM
I went to see two for the money today, and it sucked bad. real real bad, don't see it. But during the previews there were two that stuck out. the first is for "Annapolis". Its about a kid at the naval academy. The preview is a lot of loud music, pushups in the rain, running, sargents yelling the typical macho stuff about duty and honor and serving your country. The kid is some 20 year old white kid played by some guy who has been in a bunch of movies but I don't know his name. Now, theres this sargent/teacher there who puses the kid real hard and the movie is about the sargent being rough on him "because i see myself in him". He's played by Tyrese Gibson (is that his last name? I know the first is tyrese), very black.

Second movie: Jarhead. This time Jake Gyllenhal is the white kid recruit, in the marines this time. Preview opens: loud music, pushups in the rain, running, sargents yelling the typical macho stuff about duty and honor and serving your country. running over obstacle courses and getting dirty. Eventually the movie takes place in iraq during desert shield. This time: black superior is Jamie Foxx (black). Exact same relationship.

I just thought this was really weird, there are two movies coming out in the same month with extremely similar settings (boot camp) and extremely similar actors, one white recruit and a black superior who seem fairly identical. They both opened exactly the same way and had the exact same feel, voice overs about being picked to be badass and everything.

swede123
10-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I have seen both previews and don't think they are at all similar. The Anapolis preview featured lots of shots of the leading female, and the entire movie seemed (to me) to be a romantic drama type movie, with young, hip actors and stuff.

On the other hand, Jarhead came across as a no-nonsense story about a soldier and his life during the gulf war. No girls, pretty straight forward.

You are right about both previews featuring lots of music and fast music video-like shots, which I guess is what the MTV generation of today like in a preview. Personally I'm kind of tired of most movies being marketed this way nowadays. They show too much of the story, and make every movie seem like an fast paced adrenaline rush. Bleh.

Swede

samjjones
10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
I enjoyed this movie the first time when it was called "An Officer And A Gentleman"...

swede123
10-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Yes, this was my feel as well. An Officer and a Gentleman with young, hip actors.

Swede

MonkeeMan
10-12-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, this was my feel as well. An Officer and a Gentleman with young, hip actors.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Gere and Debra Winger were young and hip once.

samjjones
10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/d/unbranded-debra-winger-photo.jpg

MonkeeMan
10-12-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/d/unbranded-debra-winger-photo.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. how hip is that!

samjjones
10-12-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.joblo.com/images_movie_reviews/2-officergentleman.jpg

tdarko
10-12-2005, 05:38 PM
jarhead: the book was really pretty good and it has made me really anticipate this movie, i hope its a quarter as good as the book was.

10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
At the History of Violence preview I saw a preview for a movie with Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger as childhood friends who take a yearly trip to go hunting/fishing, or something...

anyway, it paints them as these real macho cowboy rugged guy types, then there is a scene where they are in a tent and they lean in to apparently kiss and this guy in the audience says, out loud, "What the..." HAHAHA. It was so funny. I think this guy was getting excited b/c it was a movie about buddies goin to rope some cattle or whatever and then turns out they are gay. This guy was crushed apparently.

It was just funny knowing that he couldn't suppress his "What the.." in a full room of people. For some reason I kept laughing at this guy. He came SO CLOSE to seeing a movie that was right up his alley! Then bam! Gay kissing! Poor guy. hahaha.

swede123
10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the History of Violence preview I saw a preview for a movie with Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger as childhood friends who take a yearly trip to go hunting/fishing, or something...

anyway, it paints them as these real macho cowboy rugged guy types, then there is a scene where they are in a tent and they lean in to apparently kiss and this guy in the audience says, out loud, "What the..." HAHAHA. It was so funny. I think this guy was getting excited b/c it was a movie about buddies goin to rope some cattle or whatever and then turns out they are gay. This guy was crushed apparently.

It was just funny knowing that he couldn't suppress his "What the.." in a full room of people. For some reason I kept laughing at this guy. He came SO CLOSE to seeing a movie that was right up his alley! Then bam! Gay kissing! Poor guy. hahaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, the "what the..." was totally my gut reaction to that preview. Girls making out = hot, boys making out = not.

Swede

10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Me, too. But not to the point where I said it aloud. This was like a 35-40 year old guy in a room full of 100 people or so. It was so funny. I felt bad for the guy...like I said, the movie was THIS CLOSE to being right up his alley, save a few M&M smooching scenes and perhaps one or two circle-jerks.

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha thats awesome