PDA

View Full Version : wireless + cable ethernet at the same time

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm sitting in my school's library, and I'm getting a wireless signal and theres an ethernet jack. Should I connect to both networks, can they run simultaneously? or will i only get use out of one at a time?

Freakin
10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
You'd have to do some special stuff to 'shotgun' your connection to work simulataneously.

Freakin

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'd have to do some special stuff to 'shotgun' your connection to work simulataneously.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

how hard is this? im computer fluent, if i found instructions i could handle them. if its too much of a pain i can pass.

10-12-2005, 06:07 PM
In my office I can make a hard connection or a wireless connection. Since a hard connection is more reliable and faster, I disable the wireless connection. Click on "Start" then "Settings" and then "Network Connections." Right click on "Wireless Connection Network" and disable. Since I take my Notebook back and forth from Home & Office and Home is a wireless network, I put a Network Connections shortcut on my desktop.
dx

Freakin
10-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Nevermind, I must have been mistaken. I know there were dual-port NICs available for computers that allowed this, but it appears that all you can do w/ windows & wireless+wired connections is change the default behavior. Doing some advanced work with that might allow you to specify different hosts to use different cards for (allowing you to download a large file while surfing the net on another connection) but it would likely be more trouble than it is worth.

Here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0405.mspx) is an article to get you started. I'm sure some other tech forums would have more useful information. There is probably some custom software out there that can do it, but when I first posted I was thinking of the dual-port nics with proper drivers/software.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 09:18 PM
thanks for the link