PDA

View Full Version : mouse issues

StinkWater
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
About a month ago I began to notice signs that mice had infiltrated my apartment. It began with finding droppings and ended with seeing two of them in my kitchen – one of which I caught in a spaghetti sifter. I rigged up a crude trap to go after the other, but had no success, so I purchased some mouse poison. I set it out and have not seen a mouse since.

The problem is that I didn’t really think this through. There is now an odor in my kitchen that though bearable is quite unpleasant. I have to figure that this is the mouse carcass and it is in a wall or a cabinet. So what do I do? Will the mouse simply decompose and will the odor just go away on its own? Or is it only going to get worse and am I eventually going to have to search for it?

Soul Daddy
10-12-2005, 04:24 PM
You could also be smelling mouse poop.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Couple to three weeks tops and it'll be gone.

2planka
10-12-2005, 04:35 PM
You should have read the instructions on the poison.

D-Con works well, but you have to eliminate water sources within your home. Mouse eats the D-Con, mouse gets thirsty, mouse goes outside to drink, mouse dies... outside.

Snap traps work well. Just dab some peanut butter on the trip and dispose of the carcasses.

I actually use have a heart traps and release the rodents, but I'm a nature boy. I drive 'em a couple miles away and let them go in a field.

To prevent them from reinfesting my house, I spread some used cat litter (from my mother's cat) around the perimeter of the foundation. I just mix it in with the loam. Haven't seen mouse scat in over a year.

As for your odor problem, it'll go away in a little while. Just light a candle for now.

swede123
10-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Short term, it will go away in a few weeks like Jake said. For a longer term solution, how about this...

http://www.sundstrom.org/photographs/birds/images/refuge/snowy_owl_1_2002-07-10.jpg

Swede

peachy
10-12-2005, 11:34 PM
uumm find it b/c its unsanitary?? and will bring harmful bacteria into ur home??? and spread!?!?!? wtf! Im sure u can find the general area its coming from...if u rent that apt they should have to pay for/fix this problem...thats freakin sick

ChipWrecked
10-13-2005, 01:50 AM
Start blasting the heater round the clock. It'll mummify the little guy.

send_the_msg
10-13-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have read the instructions on the poison.

D-Con works well, but you have to eliminate water sources within your home. Mouse eats the D-Con, mouse gets thirsty, mouse goes outside to drink, mouse dies... outside.

Snap traps work well. Just dab some peanut butter on the trip and dispose of the carcasses.

I actually use have a heart traps and release the rodents, but I'm a nature boy. I drive 'em a couple miles away and let them go in a field.

To prevent them from reinfesting my house, I spread some used cat litter (from my mother's cat) around the perimeter of the foundation. I just mix it in with the loam. Haven't seen mouse scat in over a year.

As for your odor problem, it'll go away in a little while. Just light a candle for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know more about mice control than i know about anything

Brainwalter
10-13-2005, 03:01 AM
What is the deal with this owl??

swede123
10-13-2005, 08:39 AM
What do owls eat? There you go, sport.

Swede

MelK
10-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Mouse issues belong in the Computer Technical Help forum.

MrTrik
10-13-2005, 10:29 AM
DCon has a new No Touch trap that looks cool. I looked for a pic out there but didn't find one. Didn't look hard, but did find desctiptions.

I saw it on a tv commercial and it looks like a large hockey puck. You screw it open and put it someplace. Mouse is attracted to it, goes inside through a hole in the side. Once in there it rotates shut and you then just throw it out. Around $7 for two of them.

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DCon has a new No Touch trap that looks cool. I looked for a pic out there but didn't find one. Didn't look hard, but did find desctiptions.

I saw it on a tv commercial and it looks like a large hockey puck. You screw it open and put it someplace. Mouse is attracted to it, goes inside through a hole in the side. Once in there it rotates shut and you then just throw it out. Around $7 for two of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will it lure the dead stinky mouse out of his wall?

MrTrik
10-13-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Will it lure the dead stinky mouse out of his wall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no. I realize that is one of the problems he has. He also probably still has a live mouse problem still.