PDA

View Full Version : Clear Edge Pill

Anadrol 50
10-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Any opinions?
http://www.focusonpoker.com/pokerstore.php

cokehead
10-12-2005, 05:04 PM
looks like creative product marketing attempting to take advantage of the poker boom.

anyway, none of the 'supplements' in that will cause an effect even close to modafinil or any of the other hot 'poker enhancing drugs'

Jordan Olsommer
10-12-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any opinions?
http://www.focusonpoker.com/pokerstore.php

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - $50 for 13 servings of a concoction you can pretty much get in any $2 energy drink. I'll pass.

Anadrol 50
10-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the tip. I tried to get modafinil online but no place had it. I called up the foreign pharmacy and the lady told me that Adderall would be just as good. It will be here on Friday.

cokehead
10-12-2005, 09:35 PM
adderall is stronger than modafinil. it's also a controlled substance, amphetamine. essentially it is speed.

Jedster
10-12-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip. I tried to get modafinil online but no place had it. I called up the foreign pharmacy and the lady told me that Adderall would be just as good. It will be here on Friday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adderal is addictive. You really shouldn't use it unless it has been prescribed by a medical doctor for ADD/ADHD. For someone who has ADD/ADHD, Adderal can help them achieve a level of focus that any normal person would have. Although it's true that adderal can also help a normal person focus more, it can also make you feel jumpy, interfere with your sleep, screw with your brain chemistry, impact your heart function, and a bunch of other stuff.

Stay away from these drugs unless you need them. And if you have had any past addictions to things like booze, smokes, or drugs, be especially aware that you don't get hooked on adderal.

I think modafinil is also a controlled substance but it is different than adderal; they actually don't really know how it works for sure.

If you think you have ADD/ADHD, go to a doctor or psychiatrist. I'd suggest trying strattera first -- it's a non-stimulant and works 24x7.

Skipbidder
10-12-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think modafinil is also a controlled substance

[/ QUOTE ]

Modafinil is a schedule IV controlled substance.

dogsballs
10-13-2005, 12:09 AM
coffee's cheaper and prolly tastes way better

Jedster
10-13-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. And it's FDA-approved purpose is to promote wakefullness in people with sleep disorders, though it has been used by some people to deal with ADD.

I don't know if it is addictive like adderal/ritalin/dexedrine.

benkahuna
10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Jedster, thank you for giving such excellent and responsible advice. You've saved me the time.

Adderall is not speed. Speed is methamphetamine and Adderall is a mix of dextroamphetamine and basic amphetamine. Even though amphetamines have their issues, it's not on the same level as methampehtamine. Speed is among the only psychoactive substances in studies that causes cellular level damage (in addition to the psychosis it also causes sometimes). Speed has greater CNS specificity than other amphetamines and greater potential for addiction through its strong activiation of the middle striatal reward pathway.

That said, Adderall has a strong potential for addiction and is certainly dangerous. Taking it to just improve your poker is taking a very serious tradeoff.

I'm very open-minded about psychoactive substances too. I don't assume all exogenous substances necessarily ruin you (such dogmatic nonsense) or that all illegal drugs are dangerous (many cause no physical damage or risk of addiction, particulary tryptamine and phenethylamine psychedelics (MDA and certain mescaline analogues notwithstanding primarily because they have an LD50 meaning you can die from overdosing)). I go with what the clinicial data supports.

If you're going to self-medicate to stay up or attempt to improve your poker, I'd recommend starting with Strattera, Modanafil (sic), Concerta, or caffeine instead.

Skipbidder
10-13-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. And it's FDA-approved purpose is to promote wakefullness in people with sleep disorders, though it has been used by some people to deal with ADD.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I've ever written for modafinil is for fatigue related to multiple sclerosis. This is off-label, but supported by clinical study.

There has been at least one study done to see if modafinil improved cognition in non-sleep-deprived people. (Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, April 2005) The study was disappointing in terms of proving beneficial effects. My personal choice will remain caffeine. No hassles about acquiring it, either.

Jedster
10-13-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I've ever written for modafinil is for fatigue related to multiple sclerosis. This is off-label, but supported by clinical study.

There has been at least one study done to see if modafinil improved cognition in non-sleep-deprived people. (Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, April 2005) The study was disappointing in terms of proving beneficial effects. My personal choice will remain caffeine. No hassles about acquiring it, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to provigil.com (a brand name for modafinil): "PROVIGIL is indicated to improve wakefulness in patients with excessive sleepiness associated with narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome and shift work sleep disorder."

I've just heard of people using it for ADD on an off-label basis, sort of like Wellbutrin (isn't that also an off-label use?).

benkahuna
10-13-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've just heard of people using it for ADD on an off-label basis, sort of like Wellbutrin (isn't that also an off-label use?).

[/ QUOTE ]

People use all sorts of drugs for all sorts of off label uses. Look up Wellbutrin on rxlist or some other web site with extensive drug profiles and you can see what condition the drug is FDA approved to treat. I'm pretty sure its use as an ADD/ADHD treatment is off label at this time.

Many off label uses were serendipitously discovered. A patient reports that taking x drug for condition y helps them, doctors pay attention and word of mouth spreads the idea. It happened with an antihistamine used for surgery that they found was useful as an antipsychotic and when a weird Australian guy decided to try the components in urine to treat bipolar disorder (which led the discovery that Li is a useful treatment for bipolar disorder in some people). Word of mouth may lead to later clinical studies by drug companies to get a new lease on life for a drug or to increase sales to use the drug for more purposes than originally designed.

With intractable migraine headaches, doctors often just opened up their PDR and prescribed whatever they came up (assuming it wasn't some insanely difficult or dangerous drug like cyclosporine, etc.). They had no other options other than telling a patient they couldn't help them.

Particularly with neurological/psychiatric drugs, off label usage is very common. If a doctor thinks it can work for whatever you have going, they can prescribe it for you (though it is more complicated with scheduled substances, particularly schedule II).

Unless a substance is FDA approved to treat a particular condition, if prescribed for a condition it's an off label use. The newer antidepressants (SSRIs, the NE reuptake inhibitors and a few others) are very popular for just about everything neurological and psychiatric in part because they have no LD50 (you can't die from overdose) and at least with short term use and no rapid withdrawal period, they tend to have very limited side effects.

I also wanted to mention that Concerta is a time-release methylphenidate, the same compound in Rytalin. It's a stimulant and more dangerous than caffeine, Modafinil and Strattera. It's safer than Aderrall though.

cokehead
10-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Concerta sucks. way too hard to crush up and snort, unlike ritalin.

benkahuna
10-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Good to know. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif