Hero: bets $18
qiklearner: calls $18
Folder: folds

*** RIVER *** [Ad 8s Ac Kc] [Td]

Hero: bets $30
qiklearner: raises $131 to $161
Hero ?

10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Considering your villian was the CO in my hand that managed to fold his last 65 bucks on a $700 pot on the flop I would say he is peddling the nuts here most likely. He is also pretty passive from what I remeber.

Wintermute
10-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Shouldn't he have raised the turn w/ AK to prevent lows from drawing?

Drizztdj
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Good catch, but what if he already had the nut low draw and didn't have to worry about a low card falling?

10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Maybe not if he had AK23 and thinks he could get another low and a weaker A to put in alot of money on the end. I am not really sure what his line is here unless he also has AT with you which makes some sense but I am not sure if he would pot the river with AT there after you bet into him.

Wintermute
10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Well, I guess I was on the right track. I put him on AK w/ two low cards, maybe even 23 (although he definitely should've bet the flop in that case, unless he's trying to be super-tricky). Best I could hope for is a split w/ AT. So I folded.

In retrospect, at the river I should've check-called. That would allow naked Aces and missed lows to bluff, and if I do run into the nuts, it's relatively cheap.

DyessMan89
10-12-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking about typical PLO8 3/6 players here, right? Most of them dont know what protecting a hand means.

Wintermute
10-12-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking about typical PLO8 3/6 players here, right? Most of them dont know what protecting a hand means.

[/ QUOTE ]
Congrats on adding another to your bursting portfolio of bonehead statements.

emptyshell
10-12-2005, 04:59 PM
If you know that the villain is normally a passive player that doesn't bluff, a fold may be correct. In general, though, I think it is a very weak play. You're betting screamed weakness from the flop on. If I was villain, I may very well decide to bluff the river, putting you on a dry ace that couldn't call. The fact that the low didn't make it makes the bluff even more appealing.

Against typical competition, I simply can't fold a 2nd nut boat on the river. Not sure if that's a leak in my game or not.

Wintermute
10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
This was essentially my concern... when he raised it really smelled like bluff, especially when I realized that I had shown nothing but weakness on each street. But I set him up to make a huge raise w/ the top boat that would look to me like a play since I bet like a dumbass at the river.

It was really a very poorly played hand on my part, but I didn't think I could call that bet because AKxx w/ xx low could certainly play the hand that way, and maybe even another AKxx could have misplayed his hand... Also I unfortunately had zero read on this player (Stars). Would you agree that optimal play at the river here is check-call? Sometimes I fall prey to that bad habit of just throwing a weak-looking bet out there on the river w/ 2nd or 3rd nuts or whatever, which gives my opponent the ability to fire a raise w/ the nuts that looks like it could be a bluff.

I'm not sure whether never folding 2nd boat to a raise is + or -EV in the long run. Close call I suspect.