PDA

View Full Version : OOT May Have Saved My Life And The Lives Of My Family Last Night!

Mars357
10-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Yesterday, My wife, me, and our two children were driving home to Wimberley, TX from a funeral in Amarillo, TX (about 550 miles). We got a late start so the last 200 miles or so was in the dark. About 10:30 we were on a little two lane road that runs between Luckenbach and Blanco. The road was empty and I was in a hurry so like a dumb ass, I was speeding up to 80 - 85 on the straight parts.... About half way through a straight, a deer jumps out into the road about 100 yards a head of us. I figured the deer would keep running and be off the road in plenty of time so didn't hit the breaks right away but I did let off the gas. When I realized the deer had stoped in our lane and didn't appear to be going anywhere, I was within 25 yards of it and doing about 70. Normally, I would have reacted naturally by slamming on the brakes and swerving to miss the deer. At 70, this would have been catastrophic. I would have almost certainly lost control, gone off the narrow road, and ended up flipping God knows how many times.

But, as I realized the deer wasn't moving, I recalled a recent thread on OOT that discussed the best thing to do when faced with this kind of situation. I kept the wheel straight, and pressed the breaks, but not hard enough to go into a skid. I hit the deer dead center at about 65 miles per hour.

I drive a suburban with a big ass Ranch Hand grill guard on the front of it so while Bambi was scattered all over the road (I turned around to look...sick bastard!) the suburban came out un-scathed. I'm sure in a smaller car, this would have been an ugly accident. I am also sure that had I not read that post, I would have over reacted and had a horrible accident...

Thanks OOT!

Mars

M2d
10-12-2005, 01:34 PM
OOT, saving lives since October 2005.

imported_anacardo
10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Good play.

How's your kids' therapy coming along?

ChipWrecked
10-12-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Daddy just needs to find Bambi's loin, you kids hang tight...."

whiskeytown
10-12-2005, 01:37 PM
no [censored]...

RB

Asufiji2004
10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Your avatar really makes this story funny.

Mars357
10-12-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Daddy just needs to find Bambi's loin, you kids hang tight...."

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO! Actually, the kids were sleeping and stayed that way through the entire thing. I wouldn't have turned back if they had been awake. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LeatherFace
what a dumb deer!

vulturesrow
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
so while Bambi was scattered all over the road (I turned around to look...sick bastard!)

[/ QUOTE ]

A true Texan wouldve gone back and picked up the pieces and brought them home for consumption.

Seriously, glad you and the family are ok. I have seen some nasty accidents of this sort.

samjjones
10-12-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOT, saving human lives since October 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

4_2_it
10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Damn, somebody needs to reset the number of days since last accident sign back to zero!

theweatherman
10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
that sounds a lot like my encounter with a deer in my nissan altima, oh wait I skidded off the road into a field and the deer ran head first into my drivers side door. But since I ve started reading OOT I have had no trouble with deer. Thanks OOT!

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, somebody needs to reset the number of days since last accident sign back to zero!

[/ QUOTE ]
We seriously need one of these.

Also, it was only at 1 anyway (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3641875&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;vc=1), so it's not a big deal.

peachy
10-12-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahah i was thinking the same thing!!!! poor kids!!! jeez!!!

samjjones
10-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Isn't it two? Didn't one poster "commit suicide" last year?

offTopic
10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Whew. I thought you were all kidnapped, drugged, and then woke up in a gymnasium full of five-year-olds...

steelcmg
10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was within 25 yards of it and doing about 70.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I hit the deer dead center at about 65 miles per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man u must have really shitty brake or u really just didnt brake much. Either way atleast u didnt try and dodge it.

I had something like this happen before but the dear didnt stop do i didnt slow down and he bounced off my hood no major damage

10-12-2005, 02:28 PM
This is way better than the moose hunting thread

peachy
10-12-2005, 02:30 PM
i had to learn to just plow things over, namely from pulling trailers - espeically ones with my horses in them. Its still a reaction for a second sometimes, but its not worth my life or my horses in the back /images/graemlins/frown.gif And its saved my life while driving alone - i dont think i would have handled it correctly without the expericnes with pulling various trailers

TheBlueMonster
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OOT, saving human lives since October 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, stupid deer.

10-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Assuming the road is straight, and you could get away with it, if you were to turn your lights off for 3-5 seconds, then back on, would the deer have left by then?

lighterjobs
10-12-2005, 04:13 PM
too bad you're from texas.

astroglide
10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
this is a hollow victory if you didn't celebrate your new lease on life by sticking it in your wife's pooper.

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 04:28 PM
For future reference, if you're on a straight road, apply light pressure to the breaks, keep going forward but turn your lights off. The reason that deer stop in the road is because they're afraid of the lights on your car. If you turn them off, they should continue on across the road.

10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For future reference, if you're on a straight road, apply light pressure to the breaks, keep going forward but turn your lights off. The reason that deer stop in the road is because they're afraid of the lights on your car. If you turn them off, they should continue on across the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or... you could just continue to plow them over for being dumb. Darwinism woohoo!

dtbog
10-12-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, as I realized the deer wasn't moving, I recalled a recent thread on OOT that discussed the best thing to do when faced with this kind of situation. I kept the wheel straight, and pressed the breaks, but not hard enough to go into a skid. I hit the deer dead center at about 65 miles per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is classic. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dominic
10-12-2005, 04:51 PM
see, now if you were to EAT the deer, I don't think there's anything wrong with "Suburban hunting."

brassnuts
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The road was empty and I was in a hurry so like a dumb ass, I was speeding up to 80 - 85 on the straight parts....

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!! DANGER DANGER!!!

[ QUOTE ]
About half way through a straight, a deer jumps out into the road about 100 yards a head of us. I figured the deer would keep running and be off the road in plenty of time so didn't hit the breaks right away but I did let off the gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't exactly a smart assumption.

But seriously, I'm glad you at least didn't swerve, and I'm very glad everyone in your family came out safe and unscathed. And, next time, slow down earlier.

swede123
10-12-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The road was empty and I was in a hurry so like a dumb ass, I was speeding up to 80 - 85 on the straight parts....

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!! DANGER DANGER!!!

[ QUOTE ]
About half way through a straight, a deer jumps out into the road about 100 yards a head of us. I figured the deer would keep running and be off the road in plenty of time so didn't hit the breaks right away but I did let off the gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't exactly a smart assumption.

But seriously, I'm glad you at least didn't swerve, and I'm very glad everyone in your family came out safe and unscathed. And, next time, slow down earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to the haters. For next time, install a snowplow and speed up, not slow down when you see Bambi. Take pictures.

Swede

Xelent
10-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Turn off your headlights to make it move

bwana devil
10-12-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and while youre at it make sure that your tray tables are in the upright and locked position, and please return your seat backs to their full, upright position...

all im trying to do is prevent myself from crapping my pants.

bwana

ps post 999!!!

UCF THAYER
10-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Let's all just hope kurosh doesn't read this...

kurosh
10-12-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's all just hope kurosh doesn't read this...

[/ QUOTE ]I'm confused.

DarkForceRising
10-13-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a hollow victory if you didn't celebrate your new lease on life by sticking it in your wife's pooper.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be nominated for the funniest goddamn response of the year. Someone call in the ROFL copter.

Stu Pidasso
10-13-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Or... you could just continue to plow them over for being dumb. Darwinism woohoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Occassionally the driver or a passenger gets impaled with antler. What were you saying about Darwinism?

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/moerewa/Pages/deer%20in%20car.jpg

Stu

Sponger15SB
10-13-2005, 01:18 AM
So what did the deer do, run full speed and jump through the windshield? Why are there no dents on the front of the car at all? I call BS

Xelent
10-13-2005, 03:13 AM
LOL, it looks like it fell out of the sky onto the car. Maybe it jumped from a tree... lol.