PDA

View Full Version : Borders/B&N question

istewart
10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
I had to buy Smoke Signals yesterday from Borders so I could watch it for a class, but I really don't want to own it. Can you return it for another DVD at these places?

Asufiji2004
10-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I assume you kept the receipt? Just put a small scratch on it and tell them there was a disc read error.

The Yugoslavian
10-12-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had to buy Smoke Signals yesterday from Borders so I could watch it for a class, but I really don't want to own it. Can you return it for another DVD at these places?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't want to own it either.

I hope you can return it!

Yugoslav

miajag81
[ QUOTE ]
I assume you kept the receipt? Just put a small scratch on it and tell them there was a disc read error.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like a classy individual.

PoBoy321
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the Borders website:

[ QUOTE ]
Returns to Borders Stores
Merchandise presented for return, including sale or marked-down items, must be accompanied by the original Borders store receipt. Returns must be completed within 30 days of purchase. The purchase price will be refunded in the medium of purchase (cash, credit card or gift card). Items purchased by check may be returned for cash after 10 business days.

Merchandise unaccompanied by the original Borders store receipt, or presented for return beyond 30 days from date of purchase, must be carried by Borders at the time of the return. The lowest price offered for the item during the 12 month period prior to the return will be refunded via a gift card.

Opened videos, discs, and cassettes may only be exchanged for replacement copies of the original item.

Periodicals, newspapers, out-of-print, collectible and pre-owned items may not be returned.

Returned merchandise must be in saleable condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess it looks like you're SOL. You can always try EBay.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I highly doubt it. They'd have to be pretty stupid to allow you to return an opened DVD for another title. Scratching it and claiming it came like that, as was suggested in the previous reply, won't work either, because they'll just give you another copy of the same title. Also, make sure you don't have blank DVDs on the same receipt when you return it.

Asufiji2004
10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah because I'm sure this will devistate their bottom line

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This kind of [censored] drives prices up for everybody. It's called fraud. It won't even work, anyway.

vulturesrow
10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me angry.

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not devastate it, but it will certainly affect it. Why don't you just walk in to the store, pick up a DVD, break it in two and walk out? It's essentially the same thing.

daryn
10-12-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt it. They'd have to be pretty stupid to allow you to return an opened DVD for another title. Scratching it and claiming it came like that, as was suggested in the previous reply, won't work either, because they'll just give you another copy of the same title. Also, make sure you don't have blank DVDs on the same receipt when you return it.

[/ QUOTE ]

but if they just give you another copy of the same title, won't that be unopened, and then can't you return that for a new whatever?

i do think the idea of scratching it and returning is scumbaggish though

M2d
10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returns to Borders Stores
Merchandise presented for return, including sale or marked-down items, must be accompanied by the original Borders store receipt. Returns must be completed within 30 days of purchase. The purchase price will be refunded in the medium of purchase (cash, credit card or gift card). Items purchased by check may be returned for cash after 10 business days.

Merchandise unaccompanied by the original Borders store receipt, or presented for return beyond 30 days from date of purchase, must be carried by Borders at the time of the return. The lowest price offered for the item during the 12 month period prior to the return will be refunded via a gift card.

Opened videos, discs, and cassettes may only be exchanged for replacement copies of the original item.

Periodicals, newspapers, out-of-print, collectible and pre-owned items may not be returned.

Returned merchandise must be in saleable condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess it looks like you're SOL. You can always try EBay.

[/ QUOTE ]
why can't you return the opened product for a new one then return the new one for credit (say it was a gift).

Asufiji2004
BAAH you guys are overreacting. Borders gets a credit from the vendor, it will get lumped with the defective products. But you should have rented if you didn't want to own it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but if they just give you another copy of the same title, won't that be unopened, and then can't you return that for a new whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]
This may or may not work, depending on how strict they are about you having the receipt, because they (should) give you a receipt that indicates that you already traded this one in. At this point, though, is it really worth it anyway?

miajag81
10-12-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BAAH you guys are overreacting. Borders gets a credit from the vendor, it will get lumped with the defective products. But you should have rented if you didn't want to own it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone still pays for the DVD. And "oooh, but Borders is a big evil corporation" is not an excuse for fraud.

vulturesrow
10-12-2005, 01:05 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I dont like scummy tactics like that.

Asufiji2004
10-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Enron was fraud, now this may be the same by definition but gimme a break we're talkin about a $10 DVD.

miajag81
10-12-2005, 01:10 PM
So at what dollar amount would it no longer be OK to do something like this?

Paluka
[ QUOTE ]
Enron was fraud, now this may be the same by definition but gimme a break we're talkin about a $10 DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are dishonest and scummy. Stop trying to justify it.

daryn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This may or may not work, depending on how strict they are about you having the receipt, because they (should) give you a receipt that indicates that you already traded this one in. At this point, though, is it really worth it anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

right but couldn't you then just throw away that receipt, and return the movie with no receipt? don't they just give a store credit in that case? we used to do that back in the day at compusa.

is it worth it? no. but if you are contemplating this whole scratch the dvd business in the first place.. then...

Asufiji2004
10-12-2005, 01:11 PM
$11

codewarrior
10-12-2005, 01:13 PM
You're a little cvnt, and a part of what's wrong with this country. But mostly you're a little cvnt.

If [centard] wants to ban me for bypassing the filter, be my guest.

Asufiji2004
10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
haaha..you guys must own stock in Borders

Asufiji2004
10-12-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're a little cvnt, and a part of what's wrong with this country. But mostly you're a little cvnt.

If [centard] wants to ban me for bypassing the filter, be my guest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I'll agree it's dishonest, but the problem with this country? R U kidding me? Yeah murderers, rapist, molesters, DVD scam artist..yes yes I see your point.

Claunchy
10-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm gonna hijack a bit since it seems the OP's question has already been answered.

Regarding the act of returning items for personal gain, I have a "friend" who does marketing for an electronics/computer company. The company sends him games so he can demo them in stores; however, some of these games suck. Is returning the unopened, totally resellable games in exchange for non-sucky games, cds, etc. wrong?

B Dids
10-12-2005, 01:20 PM
The better question for this thread?

Have you like heard of Blockbuster?

To the scummy guy, stop being scummy.

miajag81
10-12-2005, 01:21 PM
If part of his job is to demo all of the games, then exchanging some of them for his own gain without even opening the sucky ones is wrong. I see nothing at all wrong with selling them for profit after he has tested them, though.