PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Quads, confused...

10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Did I play this right? I checked the turn to hope CO would his hand/flush and get a 4bet on the river.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB

tor
10-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Bet the turn. Please bet it. With your flop play, slowplaying the turn isn't an option in a pot this large, because it's so large he's calling anyways. Build it up. That river card is great for you. Don't stop at all.

If anything, I think the only question here is your flop raise. It's only gonna scare out other flushes which you want around to call if the turn card is favorable for them. Given the size of this pot as is, it's more attractive for callers to call that 1 BB on turn than 2 SB on the flop because of the size of the pot.

PS don't worry how to play flopped quads, or quads at all. it happens so rarely it couldn't possibly be much of a leak at all.

bozlax
10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Don't 3-bet the flop. Better to get 2 bets from the PFR's overcall (and maybe you'll get lucky and HE'LL 3-bet, giving you or CO a change to cap) than 1 from CO's call of your 3-bet. You've crippled the deck, and the pot is getting big. If there's a place to slow-play this is it.

You must, must bet this turn. Flush draw isn't going anywhere, nor is any other hand.

Oh, and put on your fire-proof suit. Most people don't much like "how do I extract the most with my monster hands" posts.

aces_dad
10-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Meh, you could open fold the tunr on flopped quads and it isn't as important as the marginal decisions you make every time you play ...

I'd bet the turn you're lucky villian had a high flush or the river would have killed your action anyway.

10-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, ya, I mean I was just curious how I played it. It makes sense to do what you suggested to keep more people in the pot.

10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
You should only call that flop raise. After that you lead the turn and hopefully they have a fullhouse and the Ac.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Reqtech
10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Welcome to microlimits and congrats on your quads. Bozlax was right about putting on your fireproof suit, but I'll go ahead and tell you why. It's because these hands occur so infrequently. You could've folded on the flop, and longterm it really wouldn't affect your win rate.

Here's an excellent thread on the subject.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=smallholdem&amp;Number=862129&amp; fpart=&amp;PHPSESSID=

Good luck with learning the game and moving on up! /images/graemlins/spade.gif

10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to microlimits and congrats on your quads. Bozlax was right about putting on your fireproof suit, but I'll go ahead and tell you why. It's because these hands occur so infrequently. You could've folded on the flop, and longterm it really wouldn't affect your win rate.

Here's an excellent thread on the subject.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=smallholdem&amp;Number=862129&amp; fpart=&amp;PHPSESSID=

Good luck with learning the game and moving on up! /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, makes sense. Learning from my mistakes /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Webster
10-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Congrats!!

1. fold the flop UNLESS you are pretty sure you can get 3 others in the hand which you didn't.

2. I think after the 1st gaffaw you played it fine. Sure you could have bet the turn but the risk of losing your tag along was worth the gamble. It looks like he hit his flush and was tryign to check raise you. That didn't work so he went after you on the river.

The only worry is the straight flush but I can't see that from a UTG+1 raiser.

Grinders sometiems entertaining Poker/Life Blog (http://grinderswarehouse.blogspot.com/)

bozlax
10-12-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. fold the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Even if I change "flop" to "preflop" this sentence just doesn't make any sense.

Reqtech
10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. fold the flop UNLESS you are pretty sure you can get 3 others in the hand which you didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant preflop. I don't think that it's too big of an assumption for him to make that either the SB or BB will call the raise, considering it's a nickel/dime game.

Taxmanrick
10-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't like the flop raise. You want everyone in. I think if you call here instead of raise, UTG+1 calls and CO leads the turn. Since yo raised, gotta bet the turn. River play is good.(Of course)