PDA

View Full Version : John Frusciante

JoshuaD
10-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Anyone else listen to his solo work? He's absolutely amazing. One of the best musicians of our time.

He's the guitarist from the chili pepper, back with the band for the last two albums after a heroin recover. He's probably why they made the recovery they did.

On break between their last album and their next, he recorded and released six albums in six months, and it's some of the best music I've ever heard.

My favorite album is Inside a Break, literally every song is a hit, no filler. It's a sort of grungy/rock album, with the last song, scratches, having a floyd-ish feel.

He's got some songs on his website (http://www.johnfrusciante.com/), check it out.

Roybert
10-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah, he's pretty amazing. His stuff is definitely out there, and he's so head-scratchingly talented. Awesome musician.

I only have his first 3, but I'll definitely check out the rest.

zephed
10-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I was going to buy one of his albums awhile ago.

lem45216
10-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Hmm, i'm a huge chilis and frusciante fan, but the 6 he released in the short space of time were strictly to fund his heroin habbit and all the reviews i've read say they were rather poor. His last album was meant to be good though.

goodguy_1
10-12-2005, 11:20 AM
good call-listening to "Shadows Collide with People" samples and I really like it. I've always liked his voice- I had no idea he was so prolific.

zephed
10-12-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, i'm a huge chilis and frusciante fan, but the 6 he released in the short space of time were strictly to fund his heroin habbit and all the reviews i've read say they were rather poor. His last album was meant to be good though.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's back on the drugs?

JoshuaD
10-12-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got four of those albums and they range between "pretty good" and "best rock album I've ever heard".

I'm pretty sure he's kicked the heroin.

tpir90036
10-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Very good call. "Shadows Collide with People" is one of my favorite albums of all-time. Yet most of my musically inclined friends have never heard his solo stuff. Some of the werid experimental crazy ambient stuff gets old after a while, but the tracks like "Every Person" make it way worth the price of admission (and/or downloading time /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

JoshuaD
10-12-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very good call. "Shadows Collide with People" is one of my favorite albums of all-time. Yet most of my musically inclined friends have never heard his solo stuff. Some of the werid experimental crazy ambient stuff gets old after a while, but the tracks like "Every Person" make it way worth the price of admission (and/or downloading time /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Omission from that album. That song is amazing.

lem45216
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah he came off the drugs before Californication, but was into them big time before then, when he realeased a lot of solo albums.

Also i think i might be confused, i know he released loads earlier in his career, did he do the same very recently? everything he's done since californication he's been clean, andn that's generally considered his best work. All the 90s stuff was considered poor because he made the albums to finance his habit.

Boris
10-12-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everything he's done since californication he's been clean, andn that's generally considered his best work. All the 90s stuff was considered poor because he made the albums to finance his habit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. Most rock'n'rollers make their best music when on a massive drug binge. sad but true.

JoshuaD
10-12-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah he came off the drugs before Californication, but was into them big time before then, when he realeased a lot of solo albums.

Also i think i might be confused, i know he released loads earlier in his career, did he do the same very recently? everything he's done since californication he's been clean, andn that's generally considered his best work. All the 90s stuff was considered poor because he made the albums to finance his habit.

[/ QUOTE ]

He released 6 albums the last months of 2004 and January 2005.

The Will To Death
ATAXIA Automatic Writing
DC EP (produced by Ian MacKaye)
Inside Of Emptiness
A Sphere In The Heart Of Silence
Curtains

I guess "Shadows Collide with People" is one of his heroin albums, but it's amazing. The other two I have -- From the Sounds Inside and To Record Only Water for Ten Days -- are pretty good, but not stellar like Inside of Emptiness.