PDA

View Full Version : Defense against a guy that goes all in literally every hand..

Toddy
10-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Last night on my quest to play 500 $6.50 SNGs I ran across a table where I guy went all in every single hand. He kept sucking out and was up to 7000 w/ 5 people left. He went all in w/ 37 Q5 etc.. I wanted to call but didn't want to get knocked out by this. What kind of hands would you make a stand with and risk your tourney?

nyc999
10-12-2005, 10:06 AM
This depends on your stack size relative to the blinds. If villain is really pushing every two, I think any ace, pp, K8+, Q10+ would be good. Obviously, if you are less than 5 BB's, you are going to have to make a stand with almost any two.

Edit: Didn't read correctly, thought you were heads up. I would tighten my range depending on my stack size relative to the other 3 short stacks. Very situation dependent.

schwza
10-12-2005, 10:10 AM
once the guy has a ton of chips relative to everyone else and there aren't too many people left (4-5), the guy is accidentally playing close to correctly. if you're in 2nd place, just wait for shorties to take stands and hope they miss their 60/40's. if you're one of the shorties, take a decent hand and go, preferably with few people left to act behind you. if you get a monster and he hasn't acted yet, limp /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lorinda
How are the other people playing?
How big is your stack compared to theirs?
Do the first two answers lead you to believe that you likely will get ITM by folding?
Are the other players whining that they're going to call in a minute?

Just some questions for you to think about, answering these will probably help you draw your own conclusions.

Lori

schwza
[ QUOTE ]
Do the first two answers lead you to believe that you likely will get ITM by folding?

Just some questions for you to think about, answering these will probably help you draw your own conclusions.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post.

Toddy
10-12-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This depends on your stack size relative to the blinds. If villain is really pushing every two, I think any ace, pp, K8+, Q10+ would be good. Obviously, if you are less than 5 BB's, you are going to have to make a stand with almost any two.

Edit: Didn't read correctly, thought you were heads up. I would tighten my range depending on my stack size relative to the other 3 short stacks. Very situation dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all right away at the beginning of the tourney.. I had 1500 chips and the blinds were 10/20 or 15/30..

Toddy
10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone had between 14-1500. i had a pair of deuces i wish i acted on

lorinda
10-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Sit back for a few minutes and see how the other players react.

Maybe a tighty will get all the chips and you can bully him to get them off him later. Maybe the nutcase will knock everyone else out and you'll take second place.

Maybe you'll get in a folding war with someone else for the bubble and look like losing, so you'll have to take a stand.

You can't formulate a decent strategy without finding out how the others are playing, so concentrate hard, watch everything and try to predict the future.... it's easier than it sounds with a bit of practice.

Lori

lorinda
10-12-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were almost certainly correct to fold.

Lori

unfrgvn
10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to think long and hard about why this is SO wrong.

Toddy
10-12-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to think long and hard about why this is SO wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I no the reason. It's because im a coinflip or WAYYY behind. I just said that because I couldn't catch and ended up getting eliminated later on, but came in 3rd.. SMall payday.

splashpot
10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just said that because I couldn't catch and ended up getting eliminated later on, but came in 3rd.. SMall payday

[/ QUOTE ] This is the wrong way to be thinking about poker.

lorinda
10-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Just to put this into perspective.

You came 3rd and nearly doubled your money,and you want to hop back in time to a point where nobody was yet out, and call an all in with a pair of 2s......

Think about it a while /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lori

microbet
10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
His taking everyone chips and knocking people out left and right helps you.

Cactus Jack
10-12-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His taking everyone chips and knocking people out left and right helps you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. What's the bad news? Autofold and go watch TV, or better yet, go outside and get some fresh air.

Most people do not have the patience for this game.

CJ

beeyjay
10-12-2005, 01:44 PM
There was no defending me when i did this one time. I took the whole dam tourney. people were so pissed. but no if you're defending against it just fold. people were calling me with 10 high because "i was going all in every hand." just wait them out.

beeyjay
10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
that would have no doubt been close to the worst hand you could have chosen.

valenzuela
10-12-2005, 02:03 PM
The only defence is to fold.

10-12-2005, 02:46 PM
If the others at the table start calling him way too frequently, I try and fold into the money here. If not, call him with hands that you normally would open with from your position given the stack sizes and blinds.

ChrisW
10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
The important thing to realize when playing against a maniac is that you must tighten up signifigantly. The biggest mistake you could make against this guy is to pick up e.g. 77 or AQ and say "Darnit, I'm not going to let this idiot talk me out of playing my hand!" If the blinds are low, you should fold these hands. Each is slightly less than 2/3 against two random cards, not good enough when

a) Someone might pick up a monster behind you after you call all-in.

b) The big stack may get lucky against other players and allow you glide risklessly into the money.

c) The blinds are low enough that you rate to get a better chance. You'll pick up AA through TT (all of which are 75%+ against two random cards) about 1 time in 43, so if you have about 20 hands left until the blinds get high (50/100 being the first high blinds level), you have a good chance of nailing this guy with a truly premium hand.

Of course, once the blinds get high, you can loosen up your standards somewhat if you haven't nailed him yet.