PDA

View Full Version : Yom Kippur...

JMP300z
10-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Today we reflect on our transgressions and seek forgiveness....

Happy fasting!

-JP

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 09:20 AM
I had a BK double croissanwich for breakfast. It was good. I wish they had real hash browns though instead of those tater tot things.

samjjones
10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I actually like the differentiation that the tater tot provides. For more "traditional" hash browns, I'll go to McDonalds (probably the best thing on their menu).

steelcmg
10-12-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a BK double croissanwich for breakfast. It was good. I wish they had real hash browns though instead of those tater tot things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate those crappy taters at BK i like McDs hash browns much better.

BTW what the hell does ur location mean?

10-12-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second. Didn't you leave? Did I miss the melodramatic posts that caused you to make your return? Or is this the way you atone for your sins, by posting in OOT after making a flowery exit? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

JMP300z
10-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Its easier to eat the smaller ones. Plus I much prefer hash browns to tator tots.

So far fasting since last night sundown....so far im still full from that General Tso's Chicken for dinner. Kinda feel like vomiting really.

-JP

10-12-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Happy fasting!

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

What planet are you on that celebrates Yom Kippur a day (actually a half day) early? Here in the center of the world, the holiday is tonight and tomorrow.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing at all. That's the point.

daryn
10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Happy fasting!

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

What planet are you on that celebrates Yom Kippur a day (actually a half day) early? Here in the center of the world, the holiday is tonight and tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he's in australia

steelcmg
10-12-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing at all. That's the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok makes sense now i thought we had another abv. for something i missed.

JMP300z
10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
[censored] maybe i got it wrong....Still fasting today.

-JP

JMP300z
10-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Yup got it wrong. Whatever, its the thought that counts.

-JP

samjjones
10-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Isn't it possible to atone for one's sins without having stomach rumblings? Would God be offended if you ate a cheesy gordita crunch? How about some red licorice? What exactly is the ideal food/forgiveness ratio?

daryn
10-12-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup got it wrong. Whatever, its the thought that counts.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly not true. if it were you could have the good thought while having a nice hash brown from mcdonalds.

4_2_it
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is the ideal food/forgiveness ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the Torah exactly but I think it's close to this:

Breath/mint, tic tacs --- All sins up to murder, rape and incest atoned
Light snack, Powerbar --- You're still good for the most part unless you have committed a felony or two non-drug related misdemeanors
Meal --- The day-to-day sins are still atoned, but you are still on the hook for the major stuff
Three full meals followed by dessert -- Not that you care at this point, but you are destined for a very warm place that does not have air conditioning

Hope this helps.

tek
10-12-2005, 10:13 AM
I like the efficiency/wholesale aspect of Yom Kippur. None of this confession every week crap...

Once a year in one fell swoop and yer dun...

astroglide
10-12-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually like the differentiation that the tater tot provides. For more "traditional" hash browns, I'll go to McDonalds (probably the best thing on their menu).

[/ QUOTE ]

arby's potato cakes are amazing

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the efficiency/wholesale aspect of Yom Kippur. None of this confession every week crap...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but then you have to carry the guilt around all year before you get to dump it.

Amid Cent
10-12-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but then you have to carry the guilt around all year before you get to dump it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Catholics hold the monopoly on guilt.

I'm happy to go hungry for a couple of hours one day a year, then pig out on deli meats for 5 hours straight.

Gamblor
10-12-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it possible to atone for one's sins without having stomach rumblings? Would God be offended if you ate a cheesy gordita crunch? How about some red licorice? What exactly is the ideal food/forgiveness ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, you are first judged on the new year (Rosh Hashana) - 10 days ago - but the judgement is sealed and the sentence complete on Yom Kippur. As in, it is your last day to atone.

The idea is that you should be so worried about the day of judgement and so worried about properly accounting for and apologizing and praying for forgiveness that you don't have time to eat.

Quick Yom Kippur (http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday4.htm)

gamblore99
10-13-2005, 12:47 AM
ya, happy fasting guys!