PDA

View Full Version : Raising 72o UTG

Nottom
05-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Paradise 2/4

Folded to MP who raises and folded around to me with QQ in the BB. I smoooth call.

Flop: 7s Tc 9s
I check, he bets, I call

Turn: Kd
I check, he bets, I check-raise, he calls.

River: 6s
I bet .... (results coming soon)

Comments?

Joe Tall
05-27-2003, 11:39 PM
Nice title nottom...consider me 'fished in'

River: 6s I bet....

he raises and shows J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and takes it down?

(I'm overtired)

JTG51
05-28-2003, 12:42 AM
I'd be much more likely to make this kind of play with position and with KK or AA than out of position with QQ. In your spot I'd go ahead and 3-bet preflop the vast majority of the time.

The fact that he called you check raise when the K hit the turn would worry me a little bit. If he raises the river, you have an easy fold. Did you lose to a flush?

KJS
05-28-2003, 03:50 AM
Why risk giving a free card on the flop? You gave up 2SB (one not 3 betting pre-flop and one playing the flop so weakly) to win what? One extra BB on the turn by checkraising. That's a net gain of...zero. If you must play fancy, which I never recommend at LL, then smooth call pre-flop but use that as an way to get a checkraise in on the flop.

If he passed on the flop and then hit his flush, at the moment you went for your fancy c/r, then you would feel very very foolish indeed.

Keep it simple,

KJS

Nottom
05-28-2003, 10:56 AM
First, let me start of by saying that this is likely the first time I have ever tried to slow play a big pair. If there were more than one person in the pot I would have never even considered it, but figured this would be a good time to change up my play a bit as opposed to my normal more aggressive style.

I called the raise pre-flop with the intention of check-raising the turn the whole time. I know its probably better to wait for AA or KK but I figured I was often in pretty good shape here against an MP open raiser and he wasn't going to likely go anywhere before the turn anyway.

The King on the turn, obviously wasn't the card I was looking for, but I figured I had to stick to my guns here and see how it played out. When he called the turn check-raise, I wasn't exactly happy but figured I still had as many as 6 outs if I was behind to a K.

On the river, I got yet another card I didn't really want to see, but that one probably scared my opponent too, since my play up till now could certainly be a flushdraw. It certainly didn't help him since he folded.

It will probably be a while before I try to get tricky with QQ again.