PDA

View Full Version : 3 problems with my computer...

tonypaladino
10-12-2005, 05:56 AM
1 year old Compaq Presario R3000 Notebook.
Win XP Home sp2, AMD Athalon 800 mhtz, 256 ram

1. My computer starts making hard drive spinny noises like crazy, slows down dramatically and sometimes feezes up, at random times.

Here is the task manager shot when it happens:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8012/comp3mb.th.jpg (http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comp3mb.jpg)

I reformatted my hard drive a few weeks ago because my computer kept freezing for no reason, and I had way to much [censored] with adware installed. I've not donloaded anything since then except for poker software, pokertracker, and ipod updates.

These happen more frequently after a hibernate.

2. When I have multiple Firefox windows open (I dont like tabs, ok) the window icons disappear and reapear off the taskbar. Sometimes I will have 3 firefox windows open, and only two will be on the taskbar, and I have to alt-tab to find the other one.

3. Everything takes too damn long to load. I used to be able to click on firefox and it would open right away. Now, after the computer has been started, no matter how long I wait after windows starts up, it takes a good 30-60 seconds for the browser window to open. This happens with other software as well.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on with it???

Thanks
TONY

TheTROLL
10-12-2005, 06:45 AM
These are all symptoms of the same problem. The hard disk noise is Pagefile use (essentially using diskspace to make up for lack of RAM).

I've criticised people on here before for saying more RAM is the panacea for computer problems, but here you are a bit light on RAM for your usage pattern. Limewire (P2P software), MSPaint and your browser are using a big chunk of the available memory.

The processor's a bit dated too, for the amount of applications you're running simultaneously, but if a new PC isn't an option at the moment, increasing the RAM to 512 or 1024MB should show a noticeable improvement.

tonypaladino
10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These are all symptoms of the same problem. The hard disk noise is Pagefile use (essentially using diskspace to make up for lack of RAM).

I've criticised people on here before for saying more RAM is the panacea for computer problems, but here you are a bit light on RAM for your usage pattern. Limewire (P2P software), MSPaint and your browser are using a big chunk of the available memory.

The processor's a bit dated too, for the amount of applications you're running simultaneously, but if a new PC isn't an option at the moment, increasing the RAM to 512 or 1024MB should show a noticeable improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, i figured I needed more ram anyhow, but I didn't know if that was the cause of everything.

MS paint was only open so I could take the screenshots, but I usually am running either party poker or both aboslute and bodog when it happens. will these cause the same problem?

Right now, I can't use limewire and 4-table at the same time, will upping my memory allow me to do it?

Also, how do I know what kind of ram to buy for a laptop?

thanks a lot

tony

TheTROLL
10-12-2005, 07:47 PM
You can take a screenshot, then open Paint/whatever to paste it into afterwards, but it's pretty clear from the rest of the list that RAM is the issue.

Most of the hardware websites have some sort of "find your RAM type" form - eg www.crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com) - otherwise call the manufacturer's helpline for advice/supplies.

In the meantime, try scrapping Limewire while you play, and running it while you sleep!