PDA

View Full Version : Button Fly Jeans... Whats the deal?

gmrankin
10-12-2005, 05:27 AM
This has been starting to annoy me. Not badly, but just enough to make me question why do most of my jeans have button flies. I don't really pay attention when I buy them; I am just looking for the ones on the clearance rack in my size. But I would probably say that 90% of the jeans that own now have buttons vs. a zipper.

1) I don't see a fashion benefit to them, I mean there are only a few people that actually get close enough to tell whether My jeans have a zipper fly or buttons.

2) I don't see a ease of use factor to having buttons vs. a zipper. The reason I started thinking about this was because I find my self hobbling over to the sink in the bathroom at work, trying to get the buttons closed, and hoping no one walks in and wonders why I am playing with my self in the middle of the bathroom. You know there is always that one that is a bitch to close. IMO it is so much easier and quicker just to zip it up.

3) I guess you could argue for a safety aspect, if you recognize "franks and beans" you know what I am talking about, but that is only really an issue on free-ball Friday.

So what’s the deal with button fly jeans? I see no benefit but as some marketing ploy. Is a button really an advance over a zipper? Man I wish I had better things to worry about. But its 5 in the morning and I am at work, so I don’t. Thanks OOT. Over and out.

Ulysses
10-12-2005, 05:32 AM
I prefer them. I am not sure why, though.

goofball
10-12-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer them. I am not sure why, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it because that's the one place in your wardrobe you don't care to have sharp interlocking metal teeth?

Tron
10-12-2005, 05:39 AM
This might be a result of jeans getting slimmer and tighter... It is much easier to button a button that is under stress than it is to zip a zipper that is under stress. It doesn't seem like jeans have gotten THAT tight, though.

Also, unbuttoning is much, much faster for me.

gmrankin
10-12-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This might be a result of jeans getting slimmer and tighter...

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine havent, they just keep getting bigger!!

[ QUOTE ]
Also, unbuttoning is much, much faster for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unbuttoning and unzipping is a wash, Its the buttoning that i can't stand.

Tron
10-12-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unbuttoning and unzipping is a wash, Its the buttoning that i can't stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I suppose it is pretty trivial that unbuttoning takes half the time of unzipping when unzipping only takes 1/5 of a second anyway /images/graemlins/confused.gif

thatpfunk
10-12-2005, 07:44 AM
i prefer them. you don't have to worry about breaking zippers, pinching skin, etc.

also, you don't have to unbutton all of them when you're just taking a piss. buttoning up 2 or 3 is no problem and quick.

10-12-2005, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) I don't see a fashion benefit to them, I mean there are only a few people that actually get close enough to tell whether My jeans have a zipper fly or buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're kinda sexy

benza13
10-12-2005, 08:40 AM
90%????

I have never owned a pair of button fly jeans, in fact I dont think I have even tried one on. To those that claim it is a safety issue, are you retarted? If you can't zip up without pinching skin then you definitely should stick to sweatpants.

samjjones
10-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Have never liked them. I go out of my way to get zipper.

diebitter
10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I prefer buttons, but only on really good cuts/designs, otherwise the buttons seem to make the bulge look odd.

codewarrior
10-12-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
also, you don't have to unbutton all of them when you're just taking a piss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jaydub
10-12-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
90%????

I have never owned a pair of button fly jeans, in fact I dont think I have even tried one on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever spent more than $30 on a pair of jeans? Shopped anywhere besides walmart and target? Live in a flyover state?

daryn
10-12-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
90%????

I have never owned a pair of button fly jeans, in fact I dont think I have even tried one on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever spent more than $30 on a pair of jeans

[/ QUOTE ]

no

krimson
10-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Meh, never had old pants where the zipper doesn't stay up properly?

danzasmack
10-12-2005, 10:12 AM
a) opening them up is really easy, buttoning them doesn't take very long

b) your fly is never open when it shouldn't be.

tek
10-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I remember them in the late 60's/early 70's. Fashion designers have limited imagination and therefore must recycle ideas every 25 years.

Get ready for something called the
L E I S U R E S U I T.

imported_The Vibesman
10-12-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't own any now, but have before. It seemed to me that button-flys fit a bit better, that the fly was more flexible than a zipper, especially when wearing jeans that are very tight.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh, never had old pants where the zipper doesn't stay up properly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but on old button fly jeans, the buttonholes get kinda stretched out eventually and don't stay closed.

joecash
10-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I think it has to do with sex somehow. I think it is the thought of a chick slowly unbuttoning your fly to give a bj.

rusellmj
10-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I think I prefer them for the "old school" factor. Other than that I don't have an answer. I have some zippers now but way back when it was button fly or nothing.

imported_The Vibesman
10-12-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it has to do with sex somehow. I think it is the thought of a chick slowly unbuttoning your fly to give a bj.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever watch a chick try to get your fly unbuttoned? Almost as bad as the first time a guy tries to remove his girl's bra.

rusellmj
10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever watch a chick try to get your fly unbuttoned? Almost as bad as the first time a guy tries to remove his girl's bra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I actually started to add zippers to the wardrobe because of this.

I should also add that buttons were what everyone wore when I was a teenager.Proably why I'm so fond of them.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You may have something here. Now that I think of it, I am very uneasy during the .35 seconds while she is working the zipper.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I actually started to add zippers to the wardrobe because of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has it helped?

On another note, I was in a bar with an extremely drunk friend who wanted to show a girl his hog right there in the bar. We were all very glad he was unable to get his button fly open before she quickly walked away.

M2d
10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
they're the original style. when levi's started making jeans (btw, some claim that only levis are "jeans", all others are denim trousers), they had button flies.

benfranklin
10-12-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they're the original style. when levi's started making jeans (btw, some claim that only levis are "jeans", all others are denim trousers), they had button flies.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I believe they had button flies because zippers hadn't been invented yet. So as zippers became available, traditionalists probably stuck with the button models, no doubt making fun of zipper users as unmanly.

poker-penguin
10-13-2005, 04:10 AM
Because sheep can hear zippers.

Mr_J
10-13-2005, 04:33 AM
Zippers are definately more convenient. Pants come off quicker (if they don't already slide off without a belt), and easer access for when you have to whip it out.

BUT, buttons are definately safer. Not that it matter anymore, I think any guy who's seen something about mary will take his time.

With buttons you don't have to worry about broken zippers, or f'cked up zippers (that damn pair of jeans where the zipper keeps sliding down, forcing you to check it every 30 secs).

With buttons I don't do em all up anyway.

I think I prefer buttons.

Escape
10-13-2005, 05:48 AM
El diablo has it right once again.