PDA

View Full Version : 54s preflop decision

DavidC
10-12-2005, 01:44 AM
x-posted in the micros.

Because I jumped all over a newwer poster just a few moments ago, I decided to post something I wasn't really sure of... mock away.

I FEEL that this may be a close decision, but that it wouldn't be too rotten to let this hand go.

---

Party 2/4:
call, fold, call, call, MP2 raises, I cold-call with 54s.

---

hands, vpip, pfr

mp3 & button unknown

utg: (30) 50/5
utg+2: (33) 36/0
mp1: (38) 55/11
mp2: (50) 36/10 *** raiser ***
sb: (17) 47/12 *** very small sample ***
bb: (29) 66/3

--------

Now, I have "interesting" relative position here, vs the raiser.

I mean, there are technically worse spots for me to sit with this hand. However, the only hand that I could see myself raising to cut people out of the pot with in this hand would be if the flop were something like 754 or something like that. Most of the time this hand is going to perform well in multiway flops, turns and rivers, when I get some sort of draw and hopefully massive hand, meaning I'm looking to be sitting directly to the right of the PFR, rather than his left.

So, my position would be much better if I had a hand like AQo, where I'm going to be making vulnerable hands with a chance of winning more often.

Also, AQs is a reraise in this spot, right?

How about AQo, is this a reraise or a cold-call? I think re-raising will give people not in the pot (and the SB) a strong incentive to fold, and that it will perhaps fold one preflop caller.

--Dave.

Edit: other raise-worthy hands in my position would be stuff like pr+gs+bdf, or something like that, hoping that the raiser has overcards and that I can get some hands like QT and stuff like that to fold... I don't know...

shant
10-12-2005, 03:08 AM
I've had conversations about this sort of thing with Jason before becaue I'm a fish and love doing stuff like this, but Jason has made good points against it and mainly the one I like to follow is "There has to be a limit." I think you could do this with like 89s, maybe 78s, but at some point you need to draw the line.

DavidC
10-12-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had conversations about this sort of thing with Jason before becaue I'm a fish and love doing stuff like this, but Jason has made good points against it and mainly the one I like to follow is "There has to be a limit." I think you could do this with like 89s, maybe 78s, but at some point you need to draw the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense.

Thanks man.

mack848
10-12-2005, 04:50 AM
I was reminded of this classic yesterday - see no.3 (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=321233&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1)