PDA

View Full Version : men nguyen in LA weekly

mike l.
05-27-2003, 07:59 PM
didnt notice it till today but he was the cover star of last weeks LA weekly a huge free weekly in this area.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/26/features-kaplan.php

Rick Nebiolo
05-28-2003, 04:29 AM
mike,

for a liberal city street rag free paper i thought the piece was real good. usually they get it all wrong but this story impressed me.

Card Player would never do this story.

~ rick

scalf
05-28-2003, 07:06 AM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif quite a qualifying description of that paper rick...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

HDPM
05-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Good article. Rick is right, we won't be seeing that in Card Player. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Lurker
05-28-2003, 03:53 PM
*Great* article. I'm amazed that Men was that willing to let a journalist peer into his finances. I'm guessing he wanted to try to clear the air a little bit by giving out some details about his stable of players and their shared bankroll. I wonder who the "Former World Champion" might be...

andyfox
05-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Pretty good article, I agree. I suppose Men allowed the reporter "inside" because he felt he could handle him. The tone of the article, I think, shows that Men was correct in this.

baseball38
05-30-2003, 05:41 AM
Great article. I very much enjoyed the reading.

baseball38 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

offTopic
05-30-2003, 05:15 PM
I wonder who the "Former World Champion" might be...

Based on past posts on RGP, I'd guess it was Dan N.

Lurker
05-30-2003, 05:43 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I wonder who the "Former World Champion" might be...
Based on past posts on RGP, I'd guess it was Dan N.

[/ QUOTE ]

The article says former WSOP champion...can't be Dan.

offTopic
05-30-2003, 07:39 PM
The article says former WSOP champion...can't be Dan.

The article didn't specify the Main Event...if we assume the quoted player was a Main Event winner, then there wouldn't be much point in his remaining anonymous, as there would be a pretty limited number of players to choose from.

Still, though, a guess is just a guess...

mike l.
05-30-2003, 11:09 PM
having interned at the la weekly when i was in college where most of my work was fact checking articles before printing, i can say that it'd be easy for a detail like this to get past the fact checkers. basically they were probably referring to dan n.

also i thought the article was pretty good, i like the la weekly in general though. i like how men bascially tried to bribe the writer and the writer detailed that encounter in the article.