PDA

View Full Version : I'm Afraid To Play

10-12-2005, 01:28 AM
I just hit a rush, and am now 'afraid' to play, because I don't want to lose the sweet feeling I have right now, being up X dollars.

Any tips for me to stop being a pansy? I've noticed myself do this before, I'll take a day or two off untill it settles in, do I can really enjoy it. But at the same time I'm frustrated with myself just a little.

Subfallen
10-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Results don't matter n00b.

10-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Logically I know that

But if you just say, doubled your bankroll (not that I did, just an example), are you gonna tell me you would feel the same as if you had broke even?

Subfallen
10-12-2005, 01:56 AM
This is just another opportunity to practice divorcing your emotions from your game-time decision-making. Take advantage of it!

orange
10-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Are you referring to one session, in which you are up x ammount of buy-ins? If you are afraid of playing deep stacks, you should buy-out and re-buy with a normal stack.

Yes, these feel-good feelings are frequent when we are up alot. But the best idea is to just go right back in it and play your best poker. These are the times when variance isn't a bitch, so savor the feeling.

bernie
10-12-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just hit a rush, and am now 'afraid' to play, because I don't want to lose the sweet feeling I have right now, being up X dollars.

Any tips for me to stop being a pansy? I've noticed myself do this before, I'll take a day or two off untill it settles in, do I can really enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to another form of tilt. I wouldn't play until you get a grasp on that feeling.

Tip? Experience playing alot while winning. Sorry, there's no magic pill.

b

10-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Come on man, if you said that 50 hands ago you wouldn't have won X more than you did. You going to have your hot streaks and your bas streaks. Just keep playing your best poker and let the luck take its own course, taking a break isn't going to change anything

4_2_it
10-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I am sending my associate over to beat some sense into you, you pansy!

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/9445/hamster5es.jpg

PLOlover
10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
One of the benefits of being able to play many games well is that you can take advantage of all the games offered online and play a lower variance game for a while, like a split pot game, until you are back in grinder mode.

10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
After I made the OP, I took a shower, read the first few responses, played some more poker and quickly won 2 more buy-ins. woot.

10-12-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After I made the OP, I took a shower, read the first few responses, played some more poker and quickly won 2 more buy-ins. woot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results still don't matter.

DyessMan89
10-12-2005, 02:00 PM
You have to think in the long-term. Each seassion is just one lone session ... you are going to play hundreds, thousands, or millions of them in your poker career. Your next session is just as importantas the last.

SNOWBALL138
10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Hotpants,

This is normal. The only real solution for this is to get experience. The more you play, the less your results matter.

I was having my worst (in BB and in dollars) week ever last week, so it affected me a lot. However, next time I have a week thats bad, it will affect me less. Incidentally, I did a great job of playing through my bad week, and turned the whole thing around to show an above average profit. So, basically, I had 5 pretty bad days, and then two totally awesome days. I rule.

Needless to say, we're talking about probably 15k hands. I have no life.

Cheers,
Snowball

FrankStallone
10-12-2005, 07:29 PM
play cheaper games, or play some trivial persuit oh wait you have been playing that game as long as you have been playing poker.

10-13-2005, 02:21 AM
If I had quit when I doubled my BR, I wouldn't have 30x that BR now.

Divorce yourself from the results and concentrate on your play.

Python49
10-13-2005, 02:59 AM
I suffer from this disease too, can we get meds for it or what?

FreakDaddy
10-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Learn to meditate. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

No really though, finding away to not be attached to winning or losing is the key imo. Whether you when or lose poker comes down to making good decisions. Just take each of those one at a time and make the best one possible. Don't worry about the past or future.

bohemian
10-13-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Any tips for me to stop being a pansy? I've noticed myself do this before, I'll take a day or two off untill it settles in, do I can really enjoy it. But at the same time I'm frustrated with myself just a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go ahead. Quit the game altogether.

TheCroShow
10-17-2005, 06:06 AM
i went through this a long time ago, felt bullet-proof, got cocky, then went through a MAJOR downswing! could be experiencing the climax of the variance curve, brace yourself because nobody stays there ALL THE TIME, we all get beat back down at some point. =P

*edit* my advice, keep playing the way you always play at the same limit obv, and like han solo said, "Great kid, don't get cocky!"

diebitter
10-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Just play. Variance can be liberating.