PDA

View Full Version : Earrings on small children

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:04 AM
My wife just got our almost-two-year-old daughter's ears pierced today. In the past, I had made known my dislike for ear piercing on little kids, especially < 7-8 years old. And she mostly agreed with me. Then out of nowhere she calls me today and says "You'll probably be mad but..." Well yeah, I'm mad. Mostly because she went behind my back which is very out of character for her. Aside from that part of it, though, I still don't like it. I can't really articulate exactly why. Am I being dumb?

(I'm probably risking being banned with this topic. All I ask of [censored] is to consider that I very rarely start a thread, so please go easy on me.)

[censored]
10-12-2005, 12:09 AM
yes you have every right to be mad. Women who do this are basically turning their daughters into little dress up dolls. It's selfish and tacky.

point #2. Ok all I ask is that when you start a thread you put some real thought into starting a discussion, this clearly fits that criteria. You had an experience, shared it, provided your opinions and then requested other opinions. Thats's all it takes people, not every topic you start will be a hit, what counts is effort. For example of what doesn't fly see boxtree's uncle thread and then see his loc.

tonypaladino
10-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Are you sure your daughter didn't want them? When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

Also, I hope she had either a pediatrician or a major jewelry store do it. Those little kiosks in malls shouldn't be trusted with a small child

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes you have every right to be mad. Women who do this are basically turning their daughters into little dress up dolls. It's selfish and tacky.

point #2. Ok all I ask is that when you start a thread you put some real thought into starting a discussion, this clearly fits that criteria. You had an experience, shared it, provided your opinions and then requested other opinions. Thats's all it takes people, not every topic you start will be a hit, what counts is effort. For example of what doesn't fly see boxtree's uncle thread and then see his loc.

[/ QUOTE ]
*sniff* thanks man <wipes tears>

tdarko
10-12-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't see the correllation between a 2 year old wanting her ears pierced and a 2 year old having her ears pierced.

there is a middle man in there somewhere, the two year old doesn't know how to operate the gun.

InchoateHand
10-12-2005, 12:18 AM
I agree with the original poster.

Not to hijack, but why would a pediatrician pierce ears? Its not rocket science, and that seems like wasting your/your insurers money.

Swab. Sharp object. Hypoallergenic metal.

OP--
Especially since you'd talked about it, I would be upset. In general it doesn't bother me a great deal, but like circumcision, its an unfair choice to make for an infant. Unlike circumcision, it doesn't really have any health/staying power redeeming qualities.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure your daughter didn't want them? When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

Also, I hope she had either a pediatrician or a major jewelry store do it. Those little kiosks in malls shouldn't be trusted with a small child

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife doesn't wear them and I've never heard my daughter so much as acknowledge the existence of earrings.
I don't know where the procedure was performed.
Oh, and the official reason was "I'm tired of people thinking she's a boy."
I think that's dumber than if she just said she wanted to do it.

tonypaladino
10-12-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't see the correllation between a 2 year old wanting her ears pierced and a 2 year old having her ears pierced.

there is a middle man in there somewhere, the two year old doesn't know how to operate the gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have elaborated. I don't think its wrong for a 2 year old to have pierced ears, but you do, and she's your daughter, so you have every right to be upset with your wife.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:22 AM
I should clarify my OP. The part about my wife going behind my back - I guess I was just venting. I know it was a "dick move on her part."

The main intention of my post was to find out if I was in the minority in thinking the earrings in general on a 22 month-old are weird/inappropriate.

tdarko
10-12-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think its wrong for a 2 year old to have pierced ears

[/ QUOTE ]
ahh i see, thank you.

SuitedSixes
10-12-2005, 12:25 AM
My (soon to be ex-)wife is from Mexico. There it is customary for the girls to have their ears pierced before they leave the hospital.

My daughter had hers pierced before she was one month old. I didn't think I would like it, but I did and never had any of those awkward, "Your son is so cute," problems.

Blarg
10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
This is done purely for the benefit of the parent, not the kid. Even if the kid wants it, it's because the parent put the idea in them or allowed it to flourish.

I'd feel bad too. For the kid, being turned into your wife's barbie doll, first. And for you, because your wife went behind your back. There's nothing healthy or respectful about that in a relationship, especially as pertains to the most important thing between you, which is not even your love, but your child. That above all things should be off limits for screwy stuff, and should be aground for agreed upon things, not trickery.

You're owed an apology, and your kid is owed the right to grow up without having to be a fashion model or a conformist.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is done purely for the benefit of the parent, not the kid. Even if the kid wants it, it's because the parent put the idea in them or allowed it to flourish.

I'd feel bad too. For the kid, being turned into your wife's barbie doll, first. And for you, because your wife went behind your back. There's nothing healthy or respectful about that in a relationship, especially as pertains to the most important thing between you, which is not even your love, but your child. That above all things should be off limits for screwy stuff, and should be aground for agreed upon things, not trickery.

You're owed an apology, and your kid is owed the right to grow up without having to be a fashion model or a conformist.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha! My rage is justified!
I can now go to bed, remain angry, and feel not a shred of guilt. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

(In the interest of fairness - my wife is GREAT. This was so atypical of her. Maybe she was drunk.)

vulturesrow
10-12-2005, 12:37 AM
No problem with earrings. Big problem with the wife doing it behind your back.

rusellmj
10-12-2005, 12:59 AM
I hate crap like this. My baby doesn't need decorations.
My daughter has older sisters so I knew I wouldn't be able to put the kibosh on this forever. I finally relented earlier this year. I was okay with it by then. My daughter is soon to be 7. I embrace the fact that being a girl often means the wearing of rings, bracelets and other trinkets. If she wants anymore than one though she'll have to wait til she can get them herself.
Like the other poster said, I think the biggest problem is the wife.

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 01:07 AM
I don't have a problem with it. Granted, the fact that your wife did it behind your back if awful, but it's a completely separate issue from the pierced ears themselves.

As a quick aside, for all the people who are saying "It is so terrible that your wife is treating your daughter like a dress up doll," do you have a problem with parents who dress up their kids for church on sunday? Or make them wear nice clothes to school? I think that it is perfectly normal for a parent to inflect their sense of style on their child as it is just one more aspect of the parent passing what they think is right or wrong on to their child. I don't see the difference between a parent wanting the child to have earrings, or wear a shirt and tie to church.

sexdrugsmoney
10-12-2005, 01:12 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

(I'm probably risking being banned with this topic. All I ask of [censored] is to consider that I very rarely start a thread, so please go easy on me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why your wife doesn't respect you.

Isura
10-12-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No problem with earrings. Big problem with the wife doing it behind your back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. In my culture, girls have their ears pierced when they are infants.

peachy
10-12-2005, 01:27 AM
im going to pierce my daughters ears when she is young...of course i wont if she doesnt want it...but i see no problems with it

[censored]
10-12-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im going to pierce my daughters ears when she is young...of course i wont if she doesnt want it...but i see no problems with it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the entire point. I don't have a problem with it if that is what the daughter wants. What I have a problem is doing it at an age where no such desire could exist.

[censored]
10-12-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a problem with it. Granted, the fact that your wife did it behind your back if awful, but it's a completely separate issue from the pierced ears themselves.

As a quick aside, for all the people who are saying "It is so terrible that your wife is treating your daughter like a dress up doll," do you have a problem with parents who dress up their kids for church on sunday? Or make them wear nice clothes to school? I think that it is perfectly normal for a parent to inflect their sense of style on their child as it is just one more aspect of the parent passing what they think is right or wrong on to their child. I don't see the difference between a parent wanting the child to have earrings, or wear a shirt and tie to church.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why am I not surprised that you are not able to discern the difference between having ears pierced and dressing up in church appropriate clothes?

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why am I not surprised that you are not able to discern the difference between having ears pierced and dressing up in church appropriate clothes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why am I not surprised that you didn't read my reasoning for it?

They're just different aspects of what a parent thinks is appropriate for their child to wear. Some parents think it's appropriate for a young girl to have earrings, some don't. Some think that a young child should dress up for school, some don't. I don't see how it's that hard to understand.

It's not like they're tattooing their children. A pierced ear can easily close up if the child decides that they don't want it when they're old enough to make that decision. Until then, it's up to the parents.

2+2 wannabe
10-12-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've come to the conclusion with this post (and many others prior) that you are just a troll who says things against the norm to piss people off

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because theyre both examples of parents defining what their kid should be wearing

[censored]
10-12-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why am I not surprised that you didn't read my reasoning for it?

They're just different aspects of what a parent thinks is appropriate for their child to wear. Some parents think it's appropriate for a young girl to have earrings, some don't. Some think that a young child should dress up for school, some don't. I don't see how it's that hard to understand.

It's not like they're tattooing their children. A pierced ear can easily close up if the child decides that they don't want it when they're old enough to make that decision. Until then, it's up to the parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think the act of piercing a child's ear lobe with needle is different than wearing clothes? Seriously?

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've come to the conclusion with this post (and many others prior) that you are just a troll who says things against the norm to piss people off

[/ QUOTE ]

how does that post suggest what youre saying?

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You don't think the act of piercing a child's ear lobe with needle is different than wearing clothes? Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I don't. It's not going to scar the child for life and it's a common practice. If the parent decides that it is appropriate for a young girl to have her ear pierced, that's acceptable and completely up to the parent. I don't get why that's so hard to understand.

Granted, I understand why you're being contary for the sake of being contrary, but do you seriously expect me to believe that you're so dense you can't understand my position?

[censored]
10-12-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I don't. It's not going to scar the child for life and it's a common practice. If the parent decides that it is appropriate for a young girl to have her ear pierced, that's acceptable and completely up to the parent. I don't get why that's so hard to understand.

Granted, I understand why you're being contary for the sake of being contrary, but do you seriously expect me to believe that you're so dense you can't understand my position?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being contrary I think you are wrong or rather I disagree. I do however understand your position as weird to me as it is.

2+2 wannabe
10-12-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a common theme with her posts is the voicing of her opinion (which no one cares about) in a thread clearly showing an opposite view of everyone in the thread - just to piss them off

if she agrees she doesn't post - she gets no attention that way

peachy
10-12-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

everything i say is what i truely think...how can what i said be considered "trollish"?!??! Its an accessory for girls and as a lil girl i always wanted mine done and had to wait til i was in high school which sucked. If my daughter doesnt like hers she can always take them out...no harm done...its not like im cutting her hand off and she cant have it back! Its my child, im not doing irreversible damage mentally or physically....there is no problem with pericings a small childs ears. If someone peirced thier childs tongue or belly button at a young age then id stay thats going a lil over board...but come on now its her ears!

I dont think not letting ur husband know is a great thing....but when i got mine done it was a spur of the moment thing while i was shopping in the mall...maybe this is the same case with his wife - the opportunity arose and she was there and decided to do it - some choices in life can be made independently! Im not saying dont NOT make decisions with ur spouse but sometimes its ok for those decisions to be made heat of the moment alone, that person is ur "other" half and hopefully u wouldnt have married them if u didnt respect/trust thier judgement and understand the majority of what they do - or at least i wouldnt marry someone who i didnt trust and understand for the most part, thus making this issue irrelavent. Now if my "husband" went out and blew 400k on a new house and 100k on a new car without "talking" it over with me or asking me what i thought id be more inclined to be like what the hell?

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a common theme with her posts is the voicing of her opinion (which no one cares about) in a thread clearly showing an opposite view of everyone in the thread - just to piss them off

[/ QUOTE ]

a chick like peachy saying shes wants to have her daughters ears pierced is not outrageous, youre overreacting. its not a hugely controverial position or anything, a ton of women are the same.

2+2 wannabe
10-12-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being contrary I think you are wrong or rather I disagree. I do however understand your position as weird to me as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with [censored] here - they're two totally different things, with totally different social implications

peachy
10-12-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uummm MOST threads i reply to before reading...i dont read the whole thing and then post b/c then it wouldnt be my 1st initial feeling/thought. Also most threads i dont have the time to read through.

I dont care if noone cares about my opinion...i have just as much right to say what i think as anyone...just b/c someone doesnt care u shouldnt speak?? what kind of dark age are u living in? or how insecure are u? if everyone followed a norm and had the SAME ideas the world would be a very boring place with all the same people

ive agreed with things in the past...its not about attention...its what i think...if u dont like how i think dont read what i say

[censored]
10-12-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a chick like peachy saying shes wants to have her daughters ears pierced is not outrageous, youre overreacting. its not a hugely controverial position or anything, a ton of women are the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm tempted to say most women, atleast the ones I have talked to about this. This is actually a pretty common disagreement between men and women. Perhaos there are some underlying power issues dealing with child rearing at play.

peachy
10-12-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm tempted to say most women, atleast the ones I have talked to about this. This is actually a pretty common disagreement between men and women. Perhaos there are some underlying power issues dealing with child rearing at play.

[/ QUOTE ]

its b/c we were "little girls" once...and we know what kind of things they love. To dress up, have jewelry, wear makeup....not ALL the time but sometimes...i see nothing wrong with allowing her pierced ears

2+2 wannabe
10-12-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

uummm MOST threads i reply to before reading...i dont read the whole thing and then post b/c then it wouldnt be my 1st initial feeling/thought. Also most threads i dont have the time to read through.

I dont care if noone cares about my opinion...i have just as much right to say what i think as anyone...just b/c someone doesnt care u shouldnt speak?? what kind of dark age are u living in? or how insecure are u? if everyone followed a norm and had the SAME ideas the world would be a very boring place with all the same people

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying you don't have a right to say what you think - I'm saying that you go out of your way to make sure what you say gets the most attention it can, which is MY opinion

I agree with almost everything you say in your post, although I feel pretty secure myself

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that most women feel that their daughters should have their ears pierced young? This isn't a discussion I've had outside of this thread, so I'm not really sure what common feelings are about this.

I think that saying that there are underlying power issues is a bit of a stretch, I just think that men and women look at the issue differently. My guess is that men most likely tend to see earrings as a step towards maturity and that giving them to a girl when she's too young is trying to make her grow up too fast. I have a feeling that women tend to look at earrings as just another way for their daughter to look nice.

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its b/c we were "little girls" once...and we know what kind of things they love. To dress up, have jewelry, wear makeup....not ALL the time but sometimes...i see nothing wrong with allowing her pierced ears

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree that is the female side but why is it that I and many other men seem to be oppossed. Perhaps an issue beyond that of ears getting pierced, (especially considering this is more than likely going to happen anyways). I'm thinking something stemming from a similar experience for most men at a very young age. Think below the belt.

2+2 wannabe
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not if you want to keep on having society portray women the way it has been

10-12-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what happened to pink outfits?

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you proposing that girls should be asexual until they're in their teens?

[censored]
10-12-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean that most women feel that their daughters should have their ears pierced young? This isn't a discussion I've had outside of this thread, so I'm not really sure what common feelings are about this.

I think that saying that there are underlying power issues is a bit of a stretch, I just think that men and women look at the issue differently. My guess is that men most likely tend to see earrings as a step towards maturity and that giving them to a girl when she's too young is trying to make her grow up too fast. I have a feeling that women tend to look at earrings as just another way for their daughter to look nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your right about the female perspective. maybe power issues were off but what about something deeper like a shared experience? Could being circumsized as an infant be in play here?

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 02:01 AM
So now you're comparing pierced ears to circumcision? I guess I can understand what you mean, but circumcision is much more permanent, and I don't think that any young men who weren't circumcised at birth want to get circumcised when they're in their teens the way that young girls do.

PoBoy321
10-12-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could being circumsized as an infant be in play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Pierced ears are much less permanent and much more desirable for girls than circumcision is for boys.

[censored]
10-12-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So now you're comparing pierced ears to circumcision? I guess I can understand what you mean, but circumcision is much more permanent, and I don't think that any young men who weren't circumcised at birth want to get circumcised when they're in their teens the way that young girls do.

[/ QUOTE ]

not comparing, but asking if the expeirence of being circumsized could subconsciously influence men to be against having there infant (&lt;3?) aged girls from being pierced.

peachy
10-12-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree that is the female side but why is it that I and many other men seem to be oppossed. Perhaps an issue beyond that of ears getting pierced, (especially considering this is more than likely going to happen anyways). I'm thinking something stemming from a similar experience for most men at a very young age. Think below the belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i know...and this is where it starts with things like ear piercings and makeup at a young age - its the beginning of the father knowing hes gonna SUPER flip out when boys come into the picture and its HIS daughter...honestly if u handle this in the way most men do ur daughter will rebel against u and do THOSE things which u fear most. If u treat her like and adult and understand her wants and needs and comply within reason...help her grow as a person, etc - u will have alot less to worry about when boys become a major issue. yes of course ur always gonna be like "i know what those boys want", but there is not much u can do besides let her make her mistakes, hope she makes few b/c u raised her correctly, and be understanding no matter what. Women sympahtize more with thier daughters b/c they went thru this with thier fathers, so often moms will take them out shopping and u kinda just dont show dad that one top or that semi short skirt, its a mother daughter type bond. It doesnt mean that niether dont love thier husband/father, its just an understanding b/w mother/daughter and there is a bond there (no matter what age) just like the bond of marriage. It shouldnt be looked at as a someone picked a side over anothers - it should try to be understood and met on middle ground. I wont ever hide from my husband what i buy/get her (b/c i wouldnt marry a man that wouldnt understand my reasoning or at least listen) but im sure shes not going to want her "daddy" to see them right off the bat. Like a girls 1st bikini - ur excited but of course ur dad freaks and if he freaks too much u move from feeling semi bad to feeling like F u i can do what i want!

To this day i wont kiss a bf in front of my father, i just feel like its disrespectful to him (some fathers are TOTALLY different im NOT saying everyone should do this) But my dad is a very traditional southern gentlemen. If i was to even KISS a guy in front of my dad i know my dad would start thinking "hes having sex with my daughter" and i just dont want to do that to him - and im 25!!! To a father ur always daddies little girl and even when your married its hard for some fathers to completely let go. yeah my dad being this way sometimes is overly annoying, but i love him for it and i know hes just worried about me cause he was a "young man" once and when he goes "darling, hes no good, i was that age once...." i stop him and go "daddy its ok....ill always be your little girl, trust me". In his mind im still perfect even though deep down he knows im 25 and have probably done my fair share of all types of things in my life. The worst thing was when i got my tongue pierced and he flipped - everytime i was around him he would be like "take that thing out when your around me...its just silly...i dont see a reason for those things...what is the use of it!??!" I so wanted to answer his question...but i couldnt do that to my DAD!

its ok guys....its peirced ears....u arent laying ur daughter out half nude for a male to come confiscate

peachy
10-12-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way society has portrayed woman has been the same for 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years...in my life time this will not change. It has come a long way recently, but me dressing how i wanna dress, and my daughther doing the same is not something i am willing to give up. It is a freedom i will never give up. If people wanna think im a whore, slut, golddigger, tramp, etc for being who i am than so be it, but at least in this day and age u can be who u want to be without being "owned by a man" or having to be a "prostitute" to have ANY rights or a HIGHER place in society b/c way back when it was the prostitutes that were above the "normal" women - they were the only ones that were educated, had policital knowledge, owned houses, had money, etc - so i think we have come a long way. Its men like u who think the opposite that r the downfall of our society, not us. I can be miss cultured proper bell when i "have" to be, but in this society i can be anything else i want to be as well

sexdrugsmoney
10-12-2005, 02:24 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way society has portrayed woman has been the same for 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years...in my life time this will not change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pity you didn't do Sociology at University, but then again who has the time with all the law and medicine you were studying.

Skip Brutale
10-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Earings on small kids are alright if they are trying to attract business in the Phillipines, but otherwise, could get ripped out. Then your kid cant hear you yell at him. Liability...

peachy
10-12-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way society has portrayed woman has been the same for 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years...in my life time this will not change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pity you didn't do Sociology at University, but then again who has the time with all the law and medicine you were studying.

[/ QUOTE ]

uuummm i took sociology, social psyc, social biology...im gettin a PhD in PHYCHOLOGY....one of my main undergrad papers was on women throughout history....what are u talking about?!?!

sexdrugsmoney
10-12-2005, 02:36 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uuummm i took sociology, social psyc, social biology...im gettin a PhD in PHYCHOLOGY....one of my main undergrad papers was on women throughout history....what are u talking about?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bullshit Peachy you are a liar.

If you had really taken Sociology you'd know how deep and broad the issues of gender and identity are, not only for women but also for men.

2+2 wannabe is right, you are a troll, and I stand behind my original statement that [censored] should ban you.

peachy
10-12-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This is bullshit Peachy you are a liar.

If you had really taken Sociology you'd know how deep and broad the issues of gender and identity are, not only for women but also for men.

2+2 wannabe is right, you are a troll, and I stand behind my original statement that [censored] should ban you.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are u talking about!??!?! i stated how womens roles were the same in society for 1000s of years and u talk about issues with gender and identity?? HOW IS THAT RELEVANT HERE!! haha im in 500 lvl psych classes...i THINK id know what i was talking about! What u said has no RELEVANCE NONE to what i stated about my place in soceity as a woman in our current day and age....please elobarate

would be pasting my transcript here make u feel like ur dick was a lil bigger?

im talking HISTORY here...not even psychology....but we can talk that if u want...

InchoateHand
10-12-2005, 02:46 AM
500 lvl, oh my!

I'm sorry, I have to step on this one...because you are blowing your cover. You have convinced folks for some time that you are not a troll, and I'd be really disappointed if they caught on.

So step back---the "peachy" these guys believe in may be rock-stupid, but s/he doesn't think that "gender" is a) a static, transhistorical ontologically existant identity, b) unrelated to "society," especially a particularly erroneous rearward projection of said "society." Please keep your cover.

sexdrugsmoney
10-12-2005, 02:49 AM

WTF are u talking about!??!?! i stated how womens roles were the same in society for 1000s of years and u talk about issues with gender and identity?? HOW IS THAT RELEVANT HERE!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You said:

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way you would have passed an introduction to Sociology, let alone be well versed in it. You would know how gender and identity have had dramatic changes on men and women in the postmodern society, yet to you women are still living in the dark ages, and feminism never happened.

Yet, I suppose the "trailer park world" is far removed from civilization isn't it?

haha im in 500 lvl psych classes...i THINK id know what i was talking about!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in 5th level psych ward.

peachy
10-12-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

WTF are u talking about!??!?! i stated how womens roles were the same in society for 1000s of years and u talk about issues with gender and identity?? HOW IS THAT RELEVANT HERE!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way you would have passed an introduction to Sociology, let alone be well versed in it. You would know how gender and identity have had dramatic changes on men and women in the postmodern society, yet to you women are still living in the dark ages, and feminism never happened.

Yet, I suppose the "trailer park world" is far removed from civilization isn't it?

[ QUOTE ]

haha im in 500 lvl psych classes...i THINK id know what i was talking about!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in 5th level psych ward.

[/ QUOTE ]

the issue im an talking about that WILL NOT CHANGE IN MY LIFE TIME - is the WAY in which women are viewed...he said that i was the reason for societies views of women etc etc. For 1000s of years the views of women have being nothing high - property, sex slaves, money, etc etc. We are still seen negative even TODAY - sluts, money hungry, using sex to get what we want. This will NOT change anytime soon, and me piericing my daughters or not doing this WONT change society or its views. How can what i said be even attacked or my "academic standing" be questioned?!?! PLEASE!

The way women are viewed WILL NEVER BE CHANGED, its programmed into us, women bear children - they need care - men control us getting pregant (we need sperm last time i checked), we marry men - they somewhat provide for us, YES u have a few cases of totally independent self reliant women, but as a SOCIETY women are still seen in the same light as ALWAYS - something to fuk, own, and show off

i stated NOTHING about gender and idenity in my statement which u pulled our yourself and attacked...i stated a PERCEPTION that WONT change...

i dont live in a dark age...i do what i want and dont rely on "men", yes i might be hindered in a CORPORATE world, etc but boo hoo ill get over it and climb as high as i can go in whatever i do....so no darling...we arent stuck there...but societal views of women still are...and it WONT CHANGE in my life time

sexdrugsmoney
10-12-2005, 03:10 AM

the issue im an talking about that WILL NOT CHANGE IN MY LIFE TIME - is the WAY in which women are viewed...he said that i was the reason for societies views of women etc etc. For 1000s of years the views of women have being nothing high - property, sex slaves, money, etc etc. We are still seen negative even TODAY - sluts, money hungry, using sex to get what we want. This will NOT change anytime soon, and me piericing my daughters or not doing this WONT change society or its views. How can what i said be even attacked or my "academic standing" be questioned?!?! PLEASE!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so apparent that you are a troll now, I'm not even wasting time on you peachy. Have your fun, if this is how you like to spend your time, so be it, but I won't entertain you.

The way women are viewed WILL NEVER BE CHANGED, its programmed into us, women bear children - they need care - men control us getting pregant (we need sperm last time i checked), we marry men - they somewhat provide for us, YES u have a few cases of totally independent self reliant women, but as a SOCIETY women are still seen in the same light as ALWAYS - something to fuk, own, and show off

[/ QUOTE ]

There is so much wrong with this paragraph from a sociological P.O.V that I can't even begin to start. All I will say is that your view of women in society does not use your 'sociological immagination' and more closely resembles the biased view of an uneducated female commoner.

Cheers peachy, I don't hate you, but if [censored] is serious about cleaning up OOT, he has to start with trolls like you IMHO.

peachy
10-12-2005, 03:13 AM
its sad that thier are close minded/oblivious people in the world like u...its people that didnt understand my point that will forever keep our society in the place it has always been - what i said made perfect sense...but i guess it is just typing...who knows u may have missed the point - either that or most of u are pretty dense - or so wrapped up in attacking me b/c of the person u think i am that u skip in logical thing i say and go off on a tangent about something that i never implied...im used to it by now

imported_anacardo
10-12-2005, 03:36 AM
Every time I hear the word "postmodern," particularly in the context of a social science, I get the urge to hit something.

What's that say about me?

-Skeme-
10-12-2005, 03:38 AM
When you say things like, "I've never made a mistake,” how do you expect people not to think you're a moron?

SCfuji
10-12-2005, 03:41 AM
when i was in college i volunteered for junior achievement as a teacher for nearby elementary schools and would go give one hour lessons five times to a class throughout a one month period. i taught a 4th grade class once and there were more boys with earrings than girls. quite a shock.

peachy
10-12-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Every time I hear the word "postmodern," particularly in the context of a social science, I get the urge to hit something.

[/ QUOTE ]

hit him?? i didnt say it!

peachy
10-12-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you say things like, "I've never made a mistake,” how do you expect people not to think you're a moron?

[/ QUOTE ]

get OVER the way i view my life people...ur not gonna change it...PUT ME ON IGNORE...b/c noones gonna be banning me anytime soon...i can assure u /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sexdrugsmoney
10-12-2005, 04:01 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

That you obviously don't like the term "postmodern", and perhaps don't like the social sciences in general?

Why do you feel like hitting something when you hear the word "Postmodern" BTW?

Cheers.

daveymck
10-12-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get OVER the way i view my life people...ur not gonna change it...PUT ME ON IGNORE...b/c noones gonna be banning me anytime soon...i can assure u /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are [censored]?

I dont know about the studying part but your description of the father daughter relationship is pretty much spot on. My daughter loves dressing up loves putting makeup on and is pretty much a girlie girl. She also loves Shaun and thinks she is going to marry him, in computers last week he told her that he loved her too, she has drawn hearts in her diary with I love shaun and other stuff too.

She was saying the other night she didnt want to goto school I said you need to if you are going to have a good job and get money, her response oh its ok my husband will give me money.

Bear in mind she is 6 I am shitting myself about how she is going to be when she is a teenager.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could being circumsized as an infant be in play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Pierced ears are much less permanent and much more desirable for girls than circumcision is for boys.

[/ QUOTE ]
I compare it to putting makeup on her, which I think most people would agree is inappropriate for a 2 year old. To me earrings are the same as lipstick. Borderline Jon Benet creepy.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why your wife doesn't respect you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha touche. That was pretty pussyish.

Voltron87
10-12-2005, 10:13 AM
honestly, on page 6, peachy makes much more sense than you do. i dont see how shes trolling in this thread at all.

vulturesrow
10-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I have to agree with Voltron here. I find great amusement in the fact that people get so wound up by peachy. I am guessing there is some sort of a latent rejection issue going on with these people, but I am not sure.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree with Voltron here. I find great amusement in the fact that people get so wound up by peachy. I am guessing there is some sort of a latent rejection issue going on with these people, but I am not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a somewhat common phenomenon known as Peachy-tilt.

ChipWrecked
10-12-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this. I believe she probably is close to 600 lbs. as she claims, but this doesn't jibe with most posters' fantasy peachy so they jettison this info and continue to rub 'em out while staring at that pixie avatar.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I think earrings should be left until the girl is old enough to make her own decision about mutilating her body. The comparison of earrings and circumcision isridiculous because girls are pretty much, "like wow! ok! totally poke the hole in me already!" It's a relatively painless thing.

Whereas many guys are glad they are circumsized but if they weren't would never consider going and having their dick cut on. In other words, it's better done when it's done.

edit: also if my wife did this behind my back, i would be extremely pissed.

schwza
10-12-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's a great reason, personally. it makes your daughter feel like [censored] when someone thinks she's a boy, and she's not going to say "hey, can i get some earrings so people can tell i'm a chick?"

obviously your wife was wrong to do it w/out talking to you, esp if you've said you don't like it.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's a great reason, personally. it makes your daughter feel like [censored] when someone thinks she's a boy, and she's not going to say "hey, can i get some earrings so people can tell i'm a chick?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid is two. Are you worried about her developing gender issues? She has no idea she looks like a boy. This is ridiculous. In six months her hair will grow out and it won't be a problem. Or you can put a dress on her or bow in her hair. This is purely for the parent's ego so she doesn't have to think her little girl looks like a boy. This is an extremely selfish reason to do this. Nothing like a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid is two. Are you worried about her developing gender issues? She has no idea she looks like a boy. This is ridiculous. In six months her hair will grow out and it won't be a problem. Or you can put a dress on her or bow in her hair. This is purely for the parent's ego so she doesn't have to think her little girl looks like a boy. This is an extremely selfish reason to do this. Nothing like a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Goddammit that's what I'm talking about.
Now I'm getting mad again.

I can't wait for the following conversation:
"I know I screwed up. I'm sorry. But it was 3 weeks ago. Get over it."
"Yeah but I rehash it daily on 2+2."
"WHAT?"
"Just be glad I didn't do a poll."

daryn
10-12-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
honestly, on page 6, peachy makes much more sense than you do. i dont see how shes trolling in this thread at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

page 6? what poor settings you use

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you keep them on their leash while it's being done it's ok.

webgator
10-14-2005, 01:17 AM
I for one have 2 earrings in my left ear, my wife has her ears double pierced as does my oldest daughter. So, when our youngest daughter was about 6 months we got hers pierced also. However, my son (who is 8) has no interest in getting his done, even though he has been given the option, but we never forced this on him.

I think it is just "standard" that little girls get their ears pierced and boys do not.