PDA

View Full Version : If GCA Could Live His Life Over(& BillM's Status)

02-21-2002, 03:06 PM
He posted a nice thread on RGP. Here's the link.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=fe4b9b6.0202202303.39d09d07%40posting.goog le.com&prev=/groups%3Fnum%3D25%26hl%3Den%26group%3Drec.gambling .poker%26start%3D25

Here's my reply below, which might not be up yet due to Google's slowness.

Incidentally, for those who may have been wondering, I started drinking on Christmas Day(after 66 months on the wagon), and by Feb. 9th I was starting a three-day stint in a neuro-psych/rehab hospital, completely broke. Thank God for my family & friends or I'd be sleeping in the park.

But, as Stephen King once wrote, what's been made to happen once can be made to happen again, so I'll see you all at the Bellagio for the 2003 WSOP.

BillM billm75@hotmail.com

Sklansky wrote recently wrote in CP about $70K a year pros. My

accounting professor recently told me that a CPA can make 150-200K/yr

in SALT LAKE FREAKING CITY!! Plus, health insurance, etc.

Two of the biggest suckers I ever played with were a heart surgeon and

a fellow with LOTS of exclusive merchandise licensing deals with the

NFL.

Best post ya ever wrote, Russ. I believe that Johnny Moss(of all

people, and in an entirely different context, of course) said

something about it being better to be a sucker than a cheater.

Poker can be a helluva fun/profitable hobby/part-time job, though. /images/smile.gif

Alan Schoonmaker has a nice chapter on this in his book.

I'm gonna stick to accounting, make my $38/hr on the weekends(and find

a safe to hide it in! /images/smile.gif ), and play the occasional tournaments on

vacations(lifetime winner<SMALL> after 100+ entered).

02-21-2002, 04:23 PM
I saw Russ's post too and liked it. I also remember Moss's comment. I want to be a sucker too. But I want to play OK for a sucker.

Keep going on the more important thing you wrote about. I might start getting down to the Wendover games, if we meet I won't buy you a drink.

02-21-2002, 05:00 PM
It'll be awhile before I've rebuilt a bankroll for Wendover, but I'm shooting for their May tourney when they'll be opening the expanded room.

Hope to see you there.

02-22-2002, 05:59 PM
I thought Russ's post was terrific, which I found surprising given his usual poor writing and egocentrism. A person can be a "sucker" or "fish" in one small aspect of his life and be a big winner in the more important facets of life.

A lot of people I see who always seem to be in the poker room don't appear to be very happy to me.

I don't know you, sir, but it pained me to read your post. We all battle our individual demons, I hope you win your battle. I think your perspective on life makes you a winner. Good luck.