PDA

View Full Version : Complete Calvin and Hobbes arrived

Blarg
10-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Woo hoo!

These are big beautiful books, three of them. Thick, glossy paper inside. The color prints look great, and there are single drawings in full color dropped here and there at intervals between the cartoons as extra treats. Some are from the covers and backs of previous Calvin collections, but I'm not sure if all of them are; it would be great if we got a new surprise or two. A Watterson essay starts it off.

As the first reviewer on Amazon.com notes, these look like hardbound books but in a sense are not, because the pages are glued rather than sewn. This could lead to the heartbreak of having such a beautiful(and expensive) collection succumb to wear and tear fairly quickly. I wouldn't be too quick to let kids handle such a beautiful piece, unless I was willing to deal with the disappointment of the ruination of something so nice. And I wouldn't read it while eating or in a position where the heavy volumes could tumble and ruin pages. It's expense and delicacy warrants treating it with care, as does its beauty.

Paging through the first volume for a couple of minutes got me so delighted I actually felt like I had to put it down, so I could appreciate it properly rather than in the middle of chores the mailman had interrupted. This monster of a collection is going to be savored uninterrupted in the proper setting with due reverence over a deliciously long time. Hooray! I have been blessed by Calvin and Hobbes! I envision many nights of very sweet dreams.

HtotheNootch
10-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Does Waterson whine as much in this one as he did in the 10th anniversery edition?

Blarg
10-11-2005, 09:52 PM
I haven't read the essay yet.

I liked his essay in the 10th anniversary edition a lot. I thought it showed him to be a smart and interesting person, and I admire his not wanting to sell out his creation and his respect for the art form. I'm very much looking forward to reading this new essay.