PDA

View Full Version : trip queens facing massive river overbet

10-11-2005, 09:36 PM
hand history doesn't work at this site so it's in plain text.
.25/.50 table

Villain who is unknown to me has about 100$ I just joined so he has me covered.
I pick up KQo in MP and limp in with a few limpers ahead of me.
flop comes QQ7 2 spades (suits are not important as the board is rainbow)
SB min bets .50 I raise to the pot (3.5)
he min reraises me I call
(now the typical player (moron) at these tables would slowplay a hand like mine. and they would almost certainly slowplay a AQ/Q7/77 so I'm pretty sure I'm ahead here so I decide to let him continue what I think might be a bluff.

turn is a T
he checks
This kinda puzzles me. This usually means they wanted me to go away on the flop and now has given up or that they just made a boat so I check behind
river is a 9
he checks again. At this point I'm pretty sure my hand is good so I value bet 5 into the 15~ pot
he instantly moves in on me
this massive overbet surprised me. At first it looked like he didn't want a caller, but players at these levels often move in / bet some insane ammount when they made their hand.
Any thoughts?

wdeadwyler
10-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Logically, he could have q9 or q10. If he has qk you split, and aq you lose. You are only beating q8 and worse. Because the pot is such a massive overbet, I fold. I expect to see q10 a huge portion of the time. You are realitically only beating qj, and q8 and worse, and most players dont limp in with q2-q8. There are just too many hands beating you. I prob bet the turn after he c/r then checks again, is he c/r me twice I seriously consider folding, or I push (leaning towards fold). Again, I think this river is an easy fold (though I doubt I could do it in the heat of the moment)

10-12-2005, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and most players dont limp in with q2-q8.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was in the SB though

10-12-2005, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this river is an easy fold (though I doubt I could do it in the heat of the moment)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and laying this sort of hand down in the heat of the moment is a bit of a leak I want to improve on. When you sit back and think about it, there's very little you beat here. And the pot is relatively small compared to his huge overbet.

Only problem is, because you checked behind on the turn he may also think you have nothing and his all-in could be a bluff. I like to bet 2/3 of the pot on the turn which helps me find where I am in the hand. It also means I can check behind on the river if I want to whilst taking down a decently sized pot aswell.

Everything looks good enough to me until the turn. On the river, you should fold IMO.

fuzzbox
10-12-2005, 07:59 AM
If he wanted to bluff the river, he would have to bet out, as he cannot assume that hero will bet, since hero checked the turn. Thus, it is extremely unlikely that he is bluffing.

I fold here, but I would have gotten involved for far more on the flop (probably my stack).

10-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Qx isn't impossible (though the way it's played is weird). I also think he might have 99 or TT, but I wouldn't rule out a bluff here.

djoyce003
10-12-2005, 10:44 AM
personally, I think he has a busted spade draw and is trying to steal the river. That being said, river checkraises are extremely rare, especially after the turn was checked through. I think u are ahead enough here to call...the only hand I can see playing this way is 77 or QT.....those hands are worried about the flush....the others are. I'd expect a busted draw a large amount of the time here. There is $20 in the pot, plus whatever he has that you can match so you are getting ~2-1 on the call...i think you are ahead often enough here for that to be a profitable call.

10-12-2005, 04:08 PM
you were right. Timer almost ran out but I just couldn't believe he had a boat the way he played it so I called. He showed T7 for 3 pairs /images/graemlins/grin.gif
thanks for the replies

10-12-2005, 11:16 PM
this hand is pretty easy to figure out when you have plenty of time. in the heat of the moment, though, ow.

First, this is not a bluff, per se. He showed too much strength on the flop to have nothing but air. so credit him with something. bluffing at a paired flop is pretty standard stuff, so his raise likely means that he has at least a piece of the flop and has reraised to force a pure bluff to fold. Maybe he has a Q, maybe he has a 7. When you call his reraise you basically tell him you have a Q.

When he checks the turn, this means what it looks like. You have said you have a q, he checks, saying he doesn't. you surprise him and check behind.

River comes, he checks, assuming you have him beat, but he wants to check it down. You bet 5 at 15. He thinks this looks weak, and starts thinking you don't have a Q after all, and maybe he can bluff you off. so he pushes.

bottom line--he has a hand with a 7 most likely, possibly a small or medium pocket pair, but most likely a 7.

If I could do this in 20 seconds at the table, I'd be rich.

Simplistic
10-12-2005, 11:33 PM
min bet then min re-raise spooks me and i end up checking the hand down. well played to call.