PDA

View Full Version : A Question Concerning A-2os

dondale56
05-27-2003, 01:38 PM
I hope that Mr. Slansky sees fit to answer this question along with many of you others.

In another thread the question was posed concerning KQ vs. A2os. While not going into what went on in that thread, I have this question. I have played at tables (truepoker) where a person playing A2os would have gotten beaten, berated and generally told they had no business even playing in a game of poker as they were too stupid to live. Now they always site Slansky as the final authority. They say that Slansky says you never ever play those cards. My question is this... What would Slansky do? Is it position... people in pot... knowing the players? Please give me the criteria. I tend to play extremely tight because of the chit I have heard in the distant past. I play with people who don't yell at me now, but I still think about it, so any wisdom ya'll can give me would be most appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Dondale56

RockLobster
05-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi Don--

First off, you should spell his name correctly if you'd like a response (it's Sklansky).

As far as your question goes, A2o stinks. However, people should never berate someone for playing bad hands, but that's a different subject altogether.

When would you want to play A2o?
- When stealing from the CO or Button (opponent-dependent).
- When in the BB, unraised.
- When in the BB defending a steal attempt.

That's about it, others may have different opinions...

Andy B
05-27-2003, 03:23 PM
It is quite reasonable, especially when playing no-limit, to raise first in on the button with any two cards as long as the blinds fold too often. I presume that the Sklansky example is from a tournament, as one wouldn't sit in a $200/400 NL cash game with only $3800. In that case, the button has every reason to believe that the BB will fold all but his very best hands because survival is on his mind. His hand may as well have been 72o.

Sklansky/Malmuth advocate playing any Ace in the small blind for half a bet if there aren't too many players. Other than that, though, A2o is a hand you don't really want to see a flop with.

Berating the play of others is foolish and counter-productive.

Don't concern yourself with whether you get yelled at or not. Concern yourself with whether you make money or not.

dondale56
05-27-2003, 07:47 PM
First.... 20 lashes with a wet noodle for the misspelling. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I am a horrible speller as anyone can tell you and I do apologize for that.

Second.... Thank you very much for you kind posts. I soak things up like a sponge and your answers will go into my "Ye Olde Poker" folder. Your responses were fantastic!! O that A20s thing was from a thread where a senario was posted. Then a "What would you do?" followed. I just got me to thinking... very dangerous. hee hee

Again Thank You!

Dondale /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Louie Landale
05-28-2003, 06:08 PM
"Sklansky" probably only plays A2 when stealing the blinds or defending against probable steals. Or of course if he's out-of-his-mind in MP after a couple of EP callers. And if he says otherwise, well who are you going to believe, me or him?

Its possible that A2 beats KQ headsup, but so what. KQ plays MUCH better is a more varied situations than does A2; in fact A2 is better than KQ ONLY when heads up against it or when against A3 or A4: KQ is a better hand in almost all other situations. It does NOT play well against competant selective players. It has SOME marginal value against predictable players (you flop an Ace and can fold confidently when they bet), OR against tenacious folk who will pay you off when you flop the Ace; OR against REAL predicable folk that if they check the flop you can steal with impunity.

There is very little money to be made with A2, and potentially LOTS of money to be lost. Pass, don't give it another thought.

- Louie

Cyrus
05-29-2003, 01:45 AM
"A2 is better than KQ ONLY when heads up against it or when against A3 or A4"

I trust there's a misstype and you don't imply that A2 is a better hand than A3 or A4. It is, of course, a dog against either of them heads-up.

BTW, and since I have the opportunity to share a thread with you, my thanks for your many and quite educational contributions to this forum over the years.

pudley4
05-29-2003, 03:38 PM
It's not a mistype. What he's saying is that if your opponent has A3o (or A4o), which hand does better against it - A2o or KQo?

The answer is:

A2o

Louie Landale
05-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Right.

I think it also does better against KK. Anyway, its a short list.

- Louie

bernie
05-29-2003, 11:53 PM
i musta missed the chapter that those idiots are talking about. the one where sklansky does the math for +EV of chasing a meal ticket from the game. is that in the new addition?

i love those idiot table coaches who really dont know the game. they just know what cards to play but not why you want others to play. morons. 'no business in the game...' thats a good one. it's there 'business' to shut the hell up and collect if theyre THAT good. which, anyone spouting like this usually isnt. theyre usually easier to tilt also. crack a couple of their hands and watch em chase the loss. buncha dopes.

here's the problem with A2o. if you get a str8, it's the bottom end usually. top end is a gutshot. you cant flop an A high str8. your kicker is the board if you flop an A unless you pair the 2. lots of splitting pots if you go that far.

there are times to play it. shorthanded and in steal positions and such. you just have to realize it's limits. think of what type of flop youd like to hit in comparison to your situation. and how likely it will hold up if you hit it in a given situation.

hope this helps a little...

b

dondale56
05-30-2003, 02:37 AM
Thank you all for the fantastic comments!!! Wow I feel very undumb (that is not quit as good as smart) now. I did notice one thing when playing and see what you all think of this. No matter what you play... it's about position, correct? That was the thing I saw lacking in everyone. They never took position into account. Now I'm not very good at position playing yet myself, but listening to people hear and at VP and am starting to get the hang of it. I will never be as good as most of you, but I learn and then try to apply.

I hope to see you all at the tables soon. I have d/led a few more sites so I am going to be playing a little more than before.

Thank you all.... your comments have helped and are even in "Ye Olde Poker" folder.

Donna