PDA

View Full Version : Deepstack multiway AA OOP

xorbie
10-11-2005, 08:10 PM
OK.. lot to say here, as this is obviously a bit of a tricky hand. PF I thought I was BB, I would never smooth call this not closing the action in this particular situation. The reason I originally smooth called is that MP is pretty deepstacked, and besides an obscene reraise to like $50 or so, I think raising too hard just lets him play his hand pretty much perfectly. I figured it was better to win a medium pot with a dsiguised hand than either win a small pot or lose a big one with such deep stacks.

Ok, here's the reads. My image is that I am definitely willing to splash around some chips, will definitely bet into weakness and bluff a bit. I think I recently took a big pot off of MP, so he may be tilting a bit. Haven't been paying much attention to him though. BB in this hand is the bane of today's poker experience for me. He's LAG as hell PF, stats like 60/30 or something. That said, in about 300 hands I've never seen him reraise preflop. He plays pretty well postflop for someone that agressive, he's had position on me at 2-3 tables all day today and keeps flopping sets against me and getting paid off (once where I bluffed it off, once against an overpair, once set over set for 700BB). He probably views me as too weak in big pots because I've been raising a ton PF and folding postflop against him (I need to adjust better, but tilt was making it hard).

Soooooooo... onto the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($375.90)
BB ($831.02)
UTG ($215.39)
MP ($438.50)
CO ($377.50)
Button ($200.99)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls $8, BB calls $7.

Flop: ($27) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, MP calls $20, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($117) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $60</font>, MP calls $60, Hero calls $60.

River: ($297) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $100</font>, MP calls $100, Hero calls $100.

Final Pot: $597

I absolutely hated this entire hand while I was playing it, and I really hate it looking back on it. Ghaz, if you see this I'd like your input, cuz you probably had a decent feel for the table dynamics.

Ghazban
10-11-2005, 08:39 PM
I kind of missed this one as I was in a pot on another table while it went down (I was CO in this hand if anybody cares which, of course, they don't).

BB was on two of my tables and was a total maniac preflop but would never continuation bet postflop. If he bet, he had something (overpair, set, bottom two, straight draw, whatever). It was kind of weird playing such a player but once I figured out he'd fold every time he missed, I was able to call a lot more of his raises. I never saw him reraise preflop, either, but he'd call a reraise with just about any piece of trash he'd raised with (but he wouldn't cold call a raise+reraise from what I'd seen).

The preflop raiser was a total donk who minraised AA/KK and made larger raises with everything else (dunno if xorbie picked up on that but I'd noticed it from previous sessions with him). He was also terrible postflop in that he'd never fold top pair or better and would passively chase lots of draws. He was one of the reasons I sat at this table in the first place (I think.... if that's not true, he's one of the reasons I stayed so long).

As for the hand, you really screwed the pooch letting BB in for free. You know he could have just about any two there so you'll have no idea where you're at. But look! You're saved by the best non-ace-containing flop in the world. I don't mind flat calling the flop and then overcalling BB's raise but I think you need to checkraise the turn after BB bets and MP smooth calls. You are almost certainly ahead and both of these guys will pay you off with a smaller overpair. Checkraising all-in on the turn would definitely have been my play. If BB shows me a trey, I'll have learned my lesson about not reraising preflop and paid dearly for it. Getting to the river as you did, check/overcalling is fine; you haven't forced anybody to define their hand so you can't ensure a worse hand calls a raise.

elus2
10-11-2005, 08:43 PM
i reraise to 35 preflop. given what came, if i am against 2 opponents i just keep betting streets until i run out of money. versus one opponent i bet the flop and check-raise the turn. if he checks behind the turn then i value bet the river.

Ghazban
10-11-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...i just keep betting streets until i run out of money...

[/ QUOTE ]

This line is gold; I will be stealing it for future posts.

elus2
10-11-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...i just keep betting streets until i run out of money...

[/ QUOTE ]

This line is gold; I will be stealing it for future posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm hoping to get it back at showdown /images/graemlins/frown.gif

wdeadwyler
10-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Xorbie, I dont think youre line is horrible, either you take the lead preflop and reraise, or call down with youre "weak holdings", allowing the other two to either throw away their money at you, or you to lose the minimum. I do reccomend reraising preflop OOP, in position Im all for smoothcalling and trapping. If you had a read it would pay off, then fine. There is also nothing wrong with c/r all in on the turn, but you prob lose one of your two opponents with that line and pay off a better hand as well. All said and done, your passive line isnt bad and will have them guessing in the future.