PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones Break New Ground in....ahhh....Marketing

Dynasty
10-11-2005, 07:58 PM
If you want to see the video for the Rolling Stones new song "Streets of Love", you're going to have to tune in to NBC's daytime soap Days of Our Lives. The video is going to be aired on the show next Tuesday and then used as a love theme in later episodes.

Link to Yahoo story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051001/tv_nm/stones_soap_dc)

I like this part at the end of the story.

Is this the ultimate sellout for the Stones? No way, said panelist Cheryl Berman, chairwoman and chief creative officer for the Leo Burnett ad agency. "Selling out has changed," Berman said. "Selling out means you're doing bad creative."

wacki
10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Somebody said to me, "But the Beatles were antimaterialistic." That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say "Now, let's write a swimming pool."

- Paul McCartney

Hamish McBagpipe
10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doing bad creative

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, how much does Chief Creative Officer pay? I could use a raise.

Duffman
10-11-2005, 08:05 PM
When you're the Stones and you've been doing this for 40 years, you can pretty much do whatever the [censored] you want.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 08:13 PM
I agree. They've earned their right to make plenty of money very long ago, with more good work and more overall integrity than any 1000 of the bands that came after.

wacki
10-11-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
more overall integrity than any 1000 of the bands that came after.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Then I think you're wrong.

PhatTBoll
10-11-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. They've earned their right to make plenty of money very long ago, with more good work and more overall integrity than any 1000 of the bands that came after.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any band that makes music people are willing to pay a lot for has earned the right to make a lot of money.

wacki
10-11-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then I think you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, I just don't know too many bands, let alone regular people, that charge their friends $$$ for beer at a birthday party.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 10:26 PM
I have no idea what this means or why it's relevant.

TheMainEvent
10-11-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Any band that makes music people are willing to pay a lot for has earned the right to make a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think we can all agree that the Rolling Stones have the right to market their music as they see fit and no government intervention is necessary. That does not mean they have integrity.

imported_anacardo
10-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif what you /images/graemlins/heart.gif, Blarg.

(That does not make me gay.)

imported_anacardo
10-11-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think we can all agree that the Rolling Stones have the right to market their music as they see fit and no government intervention is necessary. That does not mean they have integrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I KNOW.... IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL... BUT I LIKE IT LIKE IT YES I DOOOO

PhatTBoll
10-11-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You misunderstand. I'm not saying they do or don't have integrity. I'm saying it doesn't matter.

lighterjobs
10-11-2005, 11:38 PM
now all they have to do is come out with a special edition rolling stones ipod.

Dan Mezick
10-12-2005, 01:22 AM
If anyone predicted in the early 70's that rock bands like The Rolling Stones would have commercial CORPORATE sponsors for their tours by 1998 or sooner, in the 1970's they'd be considered very odd for even thinking that.

Rock is no longer about rebellion. It's about Coca-Cola, Etrade etc.

The funny thing is how these corporations get in line to endorse the bands ... and some of the lyrics in the songs. They have like, no clue.

Take the last 2 lines in "Start Me Up" as a prime example. Check out the last 2 lines to that song here. (http://www.weddingvendors.com/music/lyrics/song-602.html)

wacki
10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what this means or why it's relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul Mccartney throws himself a birthday party, invites all his friends, and then charges everyone restaurant prices for food and drinks.