PDA

View Full Version : My cat plays fetch

Inthacup
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Is this normal? My cat likes to play with 2 things; twist ties and that plastic ring that is left over when you unseal a gallon of milk. We have given her all kinds of cat toys, but she doesn't care for them very much.

But she LOVES to play fetch with these small pieces of plastic. I'll throw it, and she'll chase it down, bring it back and meow/rub against my leg until I throw it again.

My other cat doesn't do this at all. Is playing fetch normal for a cat?

10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
never heard of that before. Sounds like you have one cool cat!

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Sounds like your cat has canine envy.

Benal
10-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Yep, mine does too, but with piece of paper crumpled up into a ball.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 06:42 PM
My cat used to do this.

A warning on twist ties. The small metal ones can be swallowed and kill 'em, and as to plastic ones, the plastic can turn into the equivalent of sharp glass when exposed to acid in the stomach. Both are dangerous for cats.

radar5
10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
she gets really excited when she finds the balled up paper in the trash......she brings it back so you can throw it away again....

Cancer Merchant
10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Mine plays fetch with this:

http://www.catdancer.com/images/Photo-CatDancer.jpg

Some genius figured out how to sell a nickel's worth of wire and cardboard for two fifty. Too bad it wasn't me.

MonkeeMan
10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that plastic ring that is left over when you unseal a gallon of milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, my Bengal cat loves those things and will fetch/play with them for a good hour at a time. He's tried to assault new gallons in the fridge when they have the ring still on.

bravos1
10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
yeah.. our cat does this w/ rubber bands (the ones my wife puts in her hair).

Dominic
10-11-2005, 06:56 PM
i have a cat that plays fetch.

guller
10-11-2005, 07:04 PM
A crumpled up cigarette pack works the best. Something about the celephane sound.

Ipodkid
10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Other day I was throwing 11.5 gram poker chips around as I was losing and my cat sebastain brings one back to me in his mouth and drops it at me feet...damndest thing ive ever seen...cant get him to do it again though

dtbog
10-11-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My cat does this too.

She'll usually catch the paper ball if you throw it at her, too!

Blarg
10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah they love crinkly crackly sounds in the stuff they play with. My theory is that not only is the sound another stimulant, but it's very much like the sound of mice scratching their way through grass, so there may be a genetic component.

Los Feliz Slim
10-11-2005, 08:08 PM
One of my cats hoards coins and pens and other things she finds of interest. She finds them and carries them in her mouth to her bed. If my wedding ring goes missing 50% of the time it's in the cat's bed.

Inthacup
10-11-2005, 08:13 PM
wow. Haven't heard of coin collecting before.

I'm interested to know where the ring goes the other 50% of the time

touchfaith
10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
The milk ring things are crack for cats. I found a kitten at the golf course a few months back (that I have since found a home for) and he would go absolutely nuts for those things.

As a matter of fact, I'm positive I'll find at least 5 under the couch I'm sitting on when I move it this weekend (moving couchs while cleaning is highly overrated).

Blarg
10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
His girlfriend's vagina?

Los Feliz Slim
10-11-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your girlfriend's vagina!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Sorry, couldn't resist. </font>

2+2 wannabe
10-11-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your mom's vagina!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> Way too easy </font>

Aloysius
10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Do this - tie a piece of rope / twine around your cat's mid-section. Pretty snugly. This causes the cat to lose its equilibrium and fall down repeatedly.

To me it sounds somewhat cruel but apparently it's hilarious.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Or you could just slap it.

HopeydaFish
10-11-2005, 09:19 PM
My cats used to do it, but stopped when they started getting a little older and lazier. The interesting thing is that they figured this out themselves -- that I'll throw their toys for them to chase after if they bring them to me. If anything, they were training *me*.

PhatTBoll
10-11-2005, 09:27 PM
My cat goes insane for straws. Whenever he sees somebody drinking from a straw he runs up to them and tries to get up to the straw, meowing the whole time. If you give it to him, he will bat it around and chew it for 2 hours. My wife has bought all kinds of fuzzy and squeaky toys for him but he never touches them. He only like straws.

He also loves to eat lettuce, kiwi, and bananas.

Sometimes I think he is the devil.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Mine really liked cantaloupe and peaches.

rlpsjstyle
10-12-2005, 09:05 AM
One of my cats plays fetch with what are labeled as "Tabby Balls," or quarter-sized balls of tinsel. When people stop throwing them, she'll bat them around the apartment.

Until she loses them under the fridge/oven/dresser, that is.

The other cat will just take the ball of tinsel, drop it in the water dish, and walk off. He doesn't like all the commotion, apparently.