PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting NL Bankroll Requirements For Live Play

Xelent
10-11-2005, 06:20 PM
There have been many posts about bankroll requirements for NL games. The "simple" responses have been to have about 30-40 buy-ins for a given limit online to have a low or zero risk of ruin. The more accurate ones posted about confidence intervals and being able to define a definite bankroll with a 99% chance that you will not ruin.

These have all been for online games where, at least for the majority of sites, the buy-in is 100xBB. So if you are playing 5/10 NL, the buyin is $1000 and you want $30-50K for most winning players as a bankroll depending on your standard deviation.

Most live 5/10 games, and where I play at Wynn, all their NL games have unlimitted buyin. The 2/5 and 5/10 usually have average buyins above the 100xBB mark.

Mathematically, what shift in bankroll requirements would I need to make if I am buying in for $1000 to 5/10 NL where the avg. stack is $3K? What if I am buying in for $6K and the average stack is $6K? I am more curious about the second question. You are buying in for 600x BB aka
"6 buyins online", but everyone at the table has the same. What bankroll do I need for a zero or low risk of ruin?

Obviously, you would need to know standard deviation so responses can be a a little bit more generalized for an avg. standard deviation of a winning player.

Sniper
10-12-2005, 11:18 PM
You'll find the risk of ruin formula and other discussion in this archived thread (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=207100&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1)