View Full Version : Any reason to keep raising just for image sake?

aargh57
10-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Playing at True Poker today. I just sit down at the table (10 handed but only about 5 in it but filled up quickly) and after getting through the blinds I got KK, AT, and KQ in the span of 4 or 5 hands. All limped to me and raised by me. Then UTG I get QJs. Normally I would just limp here (and I did this time too) but would there be any value in raising this hand if for no other reason then to make me look very loose? I'm not much for making plays just for image but the thought passsed my mind here. Any thoughts?

Link774
10-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I guess QJs doesn't play too badly in a multi-way raised pot, if people get irritated and decide to CC you. Personally, I wouldn't deviate from my normal strategy, because people aren't usually paying that much attention.

deception5
10-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't think it will change your image much. If people noticed that you raised 3 out of 4/5 hands, they will already think you're loose (if you haven't shown them all down). Your postflop folding equity will be low as well.

If the game still only has 5 or 6 players I'd raise it regardless.

aargh57
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
At this point it was a full table.

lautzutao
10-11-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it will change your image much. If people noticed that you raised 3 out of 4/5 hands, they will already think you're loose (if you haven't shown them all down). Your postflop folding equity will be low as well.

If the game still only has 5 or 6 players I'd raise it regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to agree with this statement. You've shown down the hands that you've raised? If players are seeing you turn over KK, AT, KQ(at a full table) and you think players are paying attention you're only going to get called by hands that beat you.

If they don't pay attention why even bother with your image? Just do what you're gonna do. Personally I wouldn't do it.