PDA

View Full Version : A Feast for Crows

Paluka
10-11-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm getting mine shipped from the UK next week. Anyone else in the USA doing this?

imported_The Vibesman
10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
No. Have no crows. No need for a feast for them, or even a meal.

*sorry. bored.

asofel
10-11-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting mine shipped from the UK next week. Anyone else in the USA doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, damn good idea though. When's the new release date?

I did get the new WoT book shipped today. I've heard preliminary reviews were actually good...hopefully RJ got his act together...

Dominic
10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
what the hell are you guys talking about?

Slow Play Ray
10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this was an option. Hmmm...how much sooner is the release date? I could conceivably coincide its arrival with my completion of The Pillars of the Earth...

You are doing this through amazon.co.uk I presume?

Slow Play Ray
10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what the hell are you guys talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you don't already know, then you probably don't care. it's a book.

asofel
10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0002247429.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Paluka
10-12-2005, 03:57 PM
have all the GRRM fans here read the novella "The Arms of the Kraken"? It is totally insane, but I believe it is all in the new book.

Reqtech
10-12-2005, 04:01 PM
I thought I recognized your name from somewhere. I stopped reading WoT at book 8, just from it becoming so God awful and from GRRM book's kicking so much ass. I'll probably go back and finish WoT when RJ gets around to finally finishing off the series. Can't wait for FfC!

flatline
10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
have all the GRRM fans here read the novella "The Arms of the Kraken"? It is totally insane, but I believe it is all in the new book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it; good stuff. It was originally supposed to be the prologue, but now it is scattered throughout the book.

Man, I wish I'd ordered the book from the UK, then I'd have it now. Can't wait for the Feast.

flatline
10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the people that pre-ordered it, the book has already shipped; the sent it early. A bunch of people in the US already have it. Hope you weren't waiting until next week to order it.

BTW, have you all read Hedge Knight or Sworn Sword?

Slow Play Ray
10-12-2005, 10:04 PM
So is it not even worth my while to order it from the UK now?

I am actually considering re-reading the first three before I start this. I think it may be more enjoyable, because as of right now I am quite rusty on what has happened so far...or maybe I'll read it, then go back and read all four...thoughts?

*Edit* Probably stupid, but taking a stab in the dark...anyone have a dust jacket for A Clash of Kings they would be willing to part with? Mine got torn up in a move, and it looks silly on the shelf without it. Obsessive, I know.

Duke
10-12-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is it not even worth my while to order it from the UK now?

I am actually considering re-reading the first three before I start this. I think it may be more enjoyable, because as of right now I am quite rusty on what has happened so far...or maybe I'll read it, then go back and read all four...thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think alt.fan.grrm is doing a group re-read. You could just read those threads for relevant info.

~D

Slow Play Ray
10-12-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think alt.fan.grrm is doing a group re-read. You could just read those threads for relevant info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I'll do that...but...am I stupid for not knowing how to actually get to these alt. forums I always hear so much about? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Duke
10-12-2005, 10:15 PM
They're newsgroups. I'm assuming that you don't use a newsreader, so just use google groups.

This link (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.grrm) should get you there.

~D

Slow Play Ray
10-12-2005, 10:16 PM
awsem, thanks.

*Edit* Holy crap, these people are serious! This will definitely catch me up. Too bad I'm not going to get any work done tomorrow.

10-12-2005, 10:20 PM
I didn't even think about doing this. The only think I thought was "[censored] you English for getting the book earlier that me." Just Kidding, I have waited over two years from its original announced publishing date, I can wait a couple more weeks.

Paluka
10-24-2005, 01:04 PM
I just finished the book, and I'm dissappointed.

asofel
10-24-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn....without spoilers, any reason why? writing not as good? plot?

Paluka
10-24-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two complaints

1) Not enough happens in the book.
2) I feel like the story is about different people now. I'm starting to feel like by the time we get to book 6, everything that happened in book 2 won't even seem meaningful or important.

vulturesrow
11-14-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished it up this weekend and I have to say that I am pretty pleased with the book. I think perhaps the reason lot of people dont like it is because it doesnt cover all the characters, most notably Jon Snow and the "Dragon Queen". But given that Martin had to make a decision on how to slim down this book, I think it was wise decision to give us the "full story on half the characters" as he put it in his afterword, rather than the other way around. Perhaps the storylines he covered couldve been advanced a bit more, especially Arya, but overall I am very pleased with this book and I dont think it was a step down from the earlier books.

Duke
11-14-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two complaints

2) I feel like the story is about different people now. I'm starting to feel like by the time we get to book 6, everything that happened in book 2 won't even seem meaningful or important.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he's not pulling a Jordan.

~D

Jack of Arcades
11-14-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two complaints

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he will. He's always talked about that, promising he won't, etc.

As for the different people point, Chris, perhaps that has something to do with the splitting of the books? If Jon, Daenerys, and Tyrion were in this book, would it be closer to what you hoped?

Duke
11-14-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two complaints

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he will. He's always talked about that, promising he won't, etc.

As for the different people point, Chris, perhaps that has something to do with the splitting of the books? If Jon, Daenerys, and Tyrion were in this book, would it be closer to what you hoped?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I doubt that too. He even pokes fun at RJ from time to time.

I, for one, miss Tyrion.

~D

vulturesrow
11-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Tyrion in definitely in contention for my favorite chracter in this series. The only character I really dont dont care for is Brienne. She seems a little too contrived for my tastes but whatever.

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Just finished reading. It's my favorite so far. It's very understated; a lot happens, in my opinion, but it happens behind the scenes. This is definitely a character growth story of Sam, Arya, and Sansa, as well as looks into Cersei and more of Jaime. [censored]'s goin' down!

Paluka
11-28-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just finished reading. It's my favorite so far. It's very understated; a lot happens, in my opinion, but it happens behind the scenes. This is definitely a character growth story of Sam, Arya, and Sansa, as well as looks into Cersei and more of Jaime. [censored]'s goin' down!

[/ QUOTE ]

Favorite so far! Man, those are bold words. I can't believe you think "a lot happens".

stabn
11-28-2005, 09:00 AM
I finished it a couple of days ago. While i guess he wanted some story progression in this area i can't help but wish the characters and storylines we actually care about made it into this book. Unfortunately basically everyone interesting except arya will be in the second half (or is already dead). He really should have found a better way to break up the book or at least included either a) tyrion or b) jon snow. This was definitely the worst of the series and if the next book isn't better i'm not purchasing any more of his books.

I also agree with paluka that absolutely nothing happens in this book.

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Sure, a lot happens, just not like it did in the past books. A lot happens characterwise, IMO. Cersei's complete and utter self-destruction. It was a joy reading the paranoid bitch. Jamie's continued growth away from her and his fighting with Ser Ilyn. Arya's and Sansa's respective transformations were wonderful. I love Samwell because I identify with him. The Dorne sections were the letdown where nothing really happened with Myrcella, which is sad. Still, it's a very nice contrast to Storm of Swords where every chapter someone died.

And I think I'm going to enjoy Catelyn a lot more now that she can't really talk. Ye gods I hated that bitch.

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Wow, you don't like Sansa's, Cersei's, or Jaime's chapters?

stabn
11-28-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you don't like Sansa's, Cersei's, or Jaime's chapters?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Sansa's storyline is pretty boring right now, and overall not much ended up happening there. Also someone needs to kill 'sweetrobin'. Cersei's was alright but cersei as a character has never really interested me. Jaime's was the best of those three but again he's on the lower end of the more interesting characters.

stabn
11-28-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And I think I'm going to enjoy Catelyn a lot more now that she can't really talk. Ye gods I hated that bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone hated that bitch /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Brienne's chapters were... well, I don't know. I think she's still alive. We learned a few things from the chapters. She was really made a central part of the book; I don't know why, but there's no way she's dead right now. Hopefully we'll get to see more insights into the outlaws through her. That was really the point of her chapters, I guess, to show us the outlaws.

Jack of Arcades
11-28-2005, 09:25 AM
I guess it's my favorite because I love seeing Arya and Sansa grow up to be badasses in their own ways, and I love seeing Cersei get [censored] and Jaime's a badass. I dunno. Tyrion gets all the credit, but Jaime's a funny [censored], too.

I liked the Sam chapters because we advance the Dany storyline there. It seems like everybody's going to head for Dany now with Euron and the Mage, with hints of Dorne, too.

Maybe I'm just weird. My favorite Final Fantasy is 8. My least-favorite Godfather is II. My favorite Star Wars is Episode V.