PDA

View Full Version : Looking much older than you are

SmileyEH
10-11-2005, 03:04 PM
I've been travelling for about a month in Europe, and the entire time people have assumed I was much much older than I actually am. Most people assume late 20's (youngest guess had me at 24). I'm 19 with 2 years of college and about no life experiences to date (went to college, skipped classes, got drunk, got laid is about it). So...I'm not sure how to take this - obviously people are expecting me to have a 26 year old's level of maturity (right.....), and the girls I'm attracted to (17-21) are probably going to think I'm a creep. OOT community I need your wisdom in tackling this strange situation.
Also, if just pretending I'm 28 is the best solution then I need some cover stories or is pro p*ker player still good enough?

-SmileyEH

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Tell them you're Canadian.

irishpint
10-11-2005, 03:10 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

this worked for me the last 5 months while in europe/jolly endland. better yet, i said i was from north virginia, a province in canada.

Dominic
10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
17-21 year old girls will feel complimented if an "older" guy of 26 is interested in them. Believe me, you have nothing to worry about in that dept.

SmileyEH
10-11-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am canadian.

-SmileyEH

phage
10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am canadian.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you're good to go.

TheCroShow
10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
i have the exact OPPOSITE problem, cannot help dude. reminds me of that thread "do you lie about your age" or whatever. heh.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-11-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am canadian.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. Sorry, this only works for Americans.

protocol
10-11-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have the exact OPPOSITE problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I am 22, but apparantly I look 16, because I have never once gotten into a R-rated movie without being ID'ed.

imported_The Vibesman
10-11-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I am 22, but apparantly I look 16, because I have never once gotten into a R-rated movie without being ID'ed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 30. I still get carded for beer on a regular basis (age limit 21), and occasionally for cigarettes (age limit 18 here).

I've grown to love it.

BoogerFace
10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 30. I still get carded for beer on a regular basis (age limit 21), and occasionally for cigarettes (age limit 18 here).

I've grown to love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even better at 35.

Dariel86
10-11-2005, 04:45 PM
offtopic but... Are you coming to Finland? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm 26 but could easily pass for anywhere from 16 to probably 36, depending on what kind of facial hair I'm currently sporting, and whether or not I'm wearing glasses.

With glasses and full beard... easily mid-30's. With no glasses, and totally clean-shaven, easily High School.

Interesting side note: I get better treatment from guys if I have a beard, but better treatment from ladies if I'm clean. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am canadian.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

So which one are you? A curler or a lumberjack?

10-11-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Interesting side note: I get better treatment from guys if I have a beard, but better treatment from ladies if I'm clean. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure what to make of this statement.

LLL

SmileyEH
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am canadian.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

So which one are you? A curler or a lumberjack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been both. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-SmileyEH

touchfaith
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I look 18(ish)

SmileyEH
10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
offtopic but... Are you coming to Finland? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure...it's not on the immediate plan. I'm worried it will be too cold and dark in the next couple weeks.

-SmileyEH

Blarg
10-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Glasses and facial hair make me look older. So does wearing conservative clothing. I look younger wearing t-shirts and jeans. It's probably the same for most people.

I agree with one of the other posters who says that girls in the age range you're going for are often very attracted to older guys, though. Caveat: they often assume they have money. Your "sophistication" quotient goes down if you're just older but don't have money.

10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Meaning guys treat me better when I have a beard. I guess they are more respectful to an older person?

And the ladies seem to treat me better when I'm clean-shaven. Maybe because ladies are out to look for young meat? haha. Who knows. Just something I noticed.

siccjay
10-11-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang high-school chicks.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meaning guys treat me better when I have a beard. I guess they are more respectful to an older person?

And the ladies seem to treat me better when I'm clean-shaven. Maybe because ladies are out to look for young meat? haha. Who knows. Just something I noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the same thing, as far as guys. Strangely, I find that women seem to really like facial hair on me, though. I think for the same reasons really -- facial hair has a sort of macho aspect to it, and men often seem to instinctually respect that and women often seem to groove on it. Not that all of them like facial hair at all, far from it. But they do like macho, unless you're a total turd about it. And often even then.

ChipWrecked
10-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Lay off the cigarettes.

10-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Yeah my GF liked the beard, once it grew beyond the sharp stage. But I mean random women that I'd have to deal with, they just seemed very put-off by a bearded guy. Maybe I was wrong but that's the vibe I got.

But definitely guys treat me better when I'm bearded. Beards make people look crazy and nobody wants to disrespect a crazy guy. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

James Boston
10-12-2005, 12:07 AM
At 24, I was carded for an R rated movie, so I can offer no advice here.

tonypaladino
10-12-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been travelling for about a month in Europe, and the entire time people have assumed I was much much older than I actually am. Most people assume late 20's (youngest guess had me at 24). I'm 19 with 2 years of college and about no life experiences to date (went to college, skipped classes, got drunk, got laid is about it). So...I'm not sure how to take this - obviously people are expecting me to have a 26 year old's level of maturity (right.....), and the girls I'm attracted to (17-21) are probably going to think I'm a creep. OOT community I need your wisdom in tackling this strange situation.
Also, if just pretending I'm 28 is the best solution then I need some cover stories or is pro p*ker player still good enough?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same problem. I am 22 but most people think 24-28. I can tell 19 year old girls are creeped out when I hit on them.

My ex-gilfriend was the same age as me (actually 5 months older, but she looks about 4 years younger, so we looked like a 17 year old and a 24 year old.

Blarg
10-12-2005, 12:40 AM
I think some of it has to do with how neat you keep the beard. A lot of guys keep their beard kind of long, or just short but uneven, and I don't think most women like bushy or sloppy facial hair at all. If you dress down, it probably makes most guys look even more dressed down and low-scale, too.

Ever try a moustache? I got great girl-feedback wearing one.

4thstreetpete
10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
I have the exact opposite problem. I'm 30 but look nowhere near my age. When i was about 24/25 or so I would still get approached by like 16 yr old girls at the malls or whatever. When I tell people my age it's like /images/graemlins/ooo.gif . I get carded a lot a few years back but not anymore.

I guess it's good to look younger if you're in the 30-50 range but not if you're in the 20-30 range.

10-12-2005, 01:13 AM
lol. No. I look like a child-molester with a mustache only.

I've got Auburn-colored hair and that doesn't lend itself to mustaches very well. My beard hair is rather darker though.

Blarg
10-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Yeah, when I was in my 20's I looked way too young for my age. I think it made it harder to get both girls and jobs, and both seemed to like me better with glasses on.

SmileyEH
10-12-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with one of the other posters who says that girls in the age range you're going for are often very attracted to older guys, though. Caveat: they often assume they have money. Your "sophistication" quotient goes down if you're just older but don't have money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have money (not scads but I'm doing fine - surely more than the vast majority of 19 year olds), but I sure don't look like it. I'm living out of a backpack so I have 1 pair of jeans and about 8 tshirts-everything I've been wearing was either free or picked up at the salvation army. When I settle down somewhere I guess I should buy some collared shirts and dress pants then start hitting up the cocktail bars eh?

-SmileyEH