PDA

View Full Version : Couple of pot limit HE hands...

incognito
05-27-2003, 02:40 AM
...from an online tournament I just finished.

First hand, blinds are 20/40. I have about 2000, an average-sized stack. I pick up 77 in middle position. UTG raises the pot and I fold. I thought briefly about reraising as a bit of a bluff, but I was pretty sure the money was inconsequential enough at this stage that he'd call. Then I wouldn't have known what to do after the flop. Does everybody fold here?

Second hand, blinds at 30/60, I have around 2500 and pick up AJo in the cutoff. Folded to a middle position guy who limps, folded to me and I raise the pot hoping to either steal the pot outright or at least isolate the limper. It's early and there are still some folks limping to try and and see the flop cheaply, so I didn't suspect MP was sandbagging a big pair or anything. The button calls, the blinds fold, and MP calls. I don't much like having the button in there.

The flop comes 942 rainbow. MP bets the minimum, I call, button calls. Does anyone else act differently here? Given that the button smooth called a big raise preflop, I rated it as unlikely that he would fold to a raise here. Too passive?

The turn is a 5, putting two hearts on the board. MP bets maybe half the pot and I fold. Thoughts on this hand?

Third hand, blinds are 600/1200. I have around 7000 in early/middle position and pick up 22. I raise the pot, leaving me around 4500. This is the first decision I'm questioning /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

One of the blinds (I can't remember which) is the only caller. The flop comes ATT and he immediately bets the pot. Calling this bet would put me all in. So I fold. This is the second decision I'm questioning. The bet was so immediate as to seem fishy. But this was online, so timing is difficult to judge.

Anyway, thoughts on the preflop raise and the flop fold? As I folded, feeling that was the only option, I realised my raise was probably not such a good idea. I had been playing exceptionally tight at this table, however, and thought I stood a good chance of stealing.

This has become an epic, so I'll stop now. Thanks in advance for your comments.

ohkanada
05-27-2003, 09:58 AM
1) I think mucking or just calling is fine. I wouldn't raise an unknown UTG raiser on the 1st hand of a tourney. Not knowing the table I likely muck like you did. If I thought there might be a few more callers I would call.

2) So on the flop the pot is 800 or so and the early player bets 60 into you? Against a passive player I would raise about 2/3 of the pot because those types would often muck a pair knowing you have shown strength twice. Against a wild or aggressive player I might just call like you did and see if I can see a cheap turn card.

3) Your stack is getting low. Hard to say if I would raise with 22 at that time in your position. If the table was reasonably tight then I might try. The problem with the hand is exactly what happened on the flop. Overcards and not knowing where you are.

Ken Poklitar

cferejohn
05-27-2003, 06:24 PM
1) At these blind levels, I will usually call just because of the implied odds. If a seven does come on the flop, you might be able to take all of his chips. Otherwise, you will probably have to fold to a big flop bet, but if the UTG player is weak and checks it, you may be able to steal it (well, not really steal since in that case you are probably ahead).

2) I never understand why people bet the minimum in situations like this. I think often it is an attempt to look weak so someone will come over the top of you. Mostly what is does is allow people to draw out on you. Anyway, I would certainly have folded to the big turn bet.

3) Lord do I hate 22. I would usually only play this if a) it is an early round and I can see the flop cheap or b) my stack is so small I can go all-in with it pre-flop. You don't mention if the pot was often being taken down with a pre-flop raise. If so, then I think your raise is OK (really, I would think your raise with just about anything could be OK), but if the pre-flop raiser was often getting a call, I'd throw this away if I could not go all-in with it (or close enough that going all-in on the flop would be automatic).

John W
05-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Hand #1 seems ok, it's the second hand that's troubling me right now. I understand your trying to steal and 2 deuces is a made hand, but with your stack, I would rather use that money on the blinds and then have a full swing, and wait for a better hand and situation.