PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to move up limits?

jsnipes28
10-11-2005, 11:44 AM
I've been beating the NL50 6max for 12ptbb/100 over 16,500 (~$1900)hands. I want to move up to the 100's but i'm doing so well right now at the 50's that i am hesitant to do so. I would post my stats but i can't figure out how to copy/paste from pokeroffice.

I've been keeping my br @1K so if/when i want to move to 100NL i wont have to build my roll too much. Should i maybe just play 2 50's and 2 100's for a while?
I guess my conundrum is that i feel comfortable playing and consistently winning at a pretty good clip, and i don't want to jeopardize that by moving up in limits. Thoughts, comments appreciated.

fuzzbox
10-11-2005, 11:47 AM
You only have to beat the 100s for 6BBs/100 to make the same rate.

Move one table to 100s and really concentrate on that more than the others. That way, you end up winning on the 100s and lose on all the other 50s that you aren't concentrating on ... and thus you lose the mystique you have about beating the 50s for massive amounts and lose the mystique about not being able to beat the 100s.

Its a win win !!

4_2_it
10-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Take a shot and play one or two NL 100 tables. The quality of play is not noticeably better. If you get blown out, just go back to crushing NL $50.

Salerosa
10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Move up. You are out of your comfort base for a little while, but once adjusted it is well worth it as far as advancing your skills and bankroll.

mudbuddha
10-11-2005, 12:51 PM
yeah, i understand, ive been playing NL100 as long as i remember online... im a little worried about playing NL200... i have over 3k and i still play 100NL.. im such a wuss

amoeba
10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, i understand, ive been playing NL100 as long as i remember online... im a little worried about playing NL200... i have over 3k and i still play 100NL.. im such a wuss

[/ QUOTE ]

as well as you should as you are not adequetely rolled for 200s technically speaking.

I might work in 1 table of 200 to see if you like it.

200s is not that much of a difference from 100s, just more aggressive. but 20buyin rule should be followed I think.

mudbuddha
10-11-2005, 01:02 PM
i only play 1 table at a time right now.. i dont use poker tracker or anything on the site i play.. so my roll grows a little slower than the rest of you multi-tablers..

having that said, since i only play 1 table i've generally preached a 10-15x.. (is that reasonable to think that way?)

but lately ive been hungering to move up limits and make some progress, and start playing higher limits since i've gotten this year of school paid for...

The_Bends
10-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I just moved up from NL50 to NL100 so I can full sympathise. Heres how it went for me.

Like you I was crushing NL50 pretty heavily but kept my bankroll around $800 so I coudl keep taking money out to my real word account. Anyway my initial stategy was to build up to $1000, take a shot drop down if I got to <$900, then build to $1100 and so forth. Thereby taking shot with an increasingly bigger roll each time. As a method I preferred it to the 'play one table at a high level' method because I don't like managing two different table sizes at the same time. I believe it leads you to make mistakes either by judging the higher limit as too important or the lower limit as too unimportant. If I had to do it again I'd recommend a 'mini-roll' (the amount you're risking at a high level) of at least three buy ins. With one or two you are simply looking over your shoulder at the cut off point far to often and even without making mistakes.

So anyway I finally made the transition stick when I attempted the move with $1200 and built it up to $2500. NL100 is definatly hard, more aggressive but its still full of woeful players. Its much easier to get mosters paid off but that must be balenced with disapline. My main advice is think very carefully before commiting yourself with Top pair top kicker because it usually won't be enough. Also remember you can commit yourself to the hand well before you make the final all in bet/call.

Also try to keep your head in dealing with the swings. When I first moved up I was getting frustrated losing $50. Its a whole buy in at NL50 but at NL100 its just one pot that went wrong. You can't get too hung up on the results if you're playing well.

Good luck