PDA

View Full Version : Want a new (HD)TV, Budget = $1,500-2,000

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 11:40 AM
So I'm itching to finally upgrade from my 27" CRT, but I have some reservations about spending $2-4K on a TV. I know there have been a handful of TV threads, and I've run a search, but nothing quite covers this budget range, of $1500-2000.

My situation: Right now my living room is about 18x14, and the couch would be about 5-6 feet from the TV. I'm not a gamer, but I do watch a lot of sports. While I currently have room for pretty much any size and bulk TV, I'm young and in NYC (so I could very well have a new place each year) and probably headed to grad school in a couple years, so avoiding lugging around a 200 pound beast from place to place is a consideration, but doesn't necessarily eliminate a good option.

So what are your recommendations?

All types and technologies welcome.

Whatcha got?

daveymck
10-11-2005, 11:43 AM
5 or 6 feet away I would be looking at smaller lcd's rather than anything big 27" may well be enough. Will be easier to move from place to place as well.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5 or 6 feet away I would be looking at smaller lcd's rather than anything big 27" may well be enough. Will be easier to move from place to place as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What additional sizes/sets would I consider if we pushed that distance to 7-8 feet?

trevorwc
10-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I have a 42" Sony HD LCD and I am VERY VERY VERY VERY happy with it. I am also in an apartment, and I'm about 5-6 feet away from it on the couch. It is AWESOME in Hi-Definition, everything from sports to regular prime time programming.

The only negative is that standard definition just sucks. I don't know if it's because Hi-Def stuff is just so awesome, but it really sucks to go from Hi-Def to regular programming. I also don't know if you're going to have that with EVERY Hi-Def set or not, but I have read in other "research" that LCDs are particularly bad for that.

As for cost - I bought mine at the beginning of the year when they were listed at $2300. Talked down Circuit City to $2050. DEFINITELY NEGOTIATE with this type of large purchase. I believe they're listed at like $1900 now, so I'd suspect you can pick them up for $1700 or so?

The only thing I'd caution is to be careful of the extras. I have DirecTV, so it was a couple hundred extra for the Hi-Def receiver. I had to buy an antenna to get Hi-Def locals, and that was like $50. If you're a TIVO guy, their Hi-Def box is extra. You WANT the good cables when you go to hook everything up, and they're expensive (I spent $75 each on cables to hook up my Hi-Def box and my PS2).

The other "extra" with LCDs is that the bulbs burn out. And they're a couple hundred bucks each. I bought the Circuit City service plan, which has unlimited bulb replacement for 3 years.

In summary, I LOVE my TV - you'd be very happy with a 42" in that "small" of a space, and the picture on my Sony LCD is AMAZING.

No matter what you go with though - consider the extras. They add up REALLY fast.

daveymck
10-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Up to 32", the recommendation for 42" plasmas is 10-12ft.

I would still look at lcd, over here they are not looking to do hdtv in crt sets so thats a basis for me saying lcd. A good crt is going to have a better picture than a equivelent priced lcd (but do they have hdmi slots on crts in the states?)

rogue
10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I just bought a Samsung HLR5067W (http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=HLR5067WAX%252fXAA) for less than $2000. Highly recommended.

Though as the other poster said, 5-6 feet is a little close for that size. You would be fine with HD content, but SD stuff will look pretty bad.

Soul Daddy
10-11-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No matter what you go with though - consider the extras. They add up REALLY fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if you're on a budget then this is a huge consideration. I ended up spending as much on the peripherals as I did my TV.

PITTM
10-11-2005, 12:05 PM
spending a lot of money on good cables is kind of a bad idea. as long as you dont buy bargain bin crap its pretty much all the same. i say this having built many RCA/component cables in my lifetime. with 8 bucks worth of parts i could build cables better than monster cables.

rj

astroglide
10-11-2005, 12:07 PM
6' is a good distance for a 42' set. if you go smaller you will be shortchanging yourself for all of your hd viewing.

trevorwc
10-11-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spending a lot of money on good cables is kind of a bad idea. as long as you dont buy bargain bin crap its pretty much all the same. i say this having built many RCA/component cables in my lifetime. with 8 bucks worth of parts i could build cables better than monster cables.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know jack about building cables - maybe that's my problem.

However, I do think that HAVING good cables (whether you buy them or make them) is important. When I hooked up my PS2, I was pretty disappointed the first time I played Madden. So I went out and spent $75 on Monster cables and it looks AWESOME.

SL__72
10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I always thought this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998378&type=product&id=11102655 91243) one looked pretty nice, but it might be a bit big/expensive for what you want/need.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if you're on a budget then this is a huge consideration. I ended up spending as much on the peripherals as I did my TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning. It's not so much I'm on a limited budget as it is a self-imposed limit. I don't have as extensive a home theater setup as most, so I don't see myself spending more than a few hundred on peripherals, and that's fine by me. $1800+500 is much more preferable to $3200+1000.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 12:39 PM
What about technologies? Seems like most suggestions are for LCD. Is that because Plasma is out of budget and rear-projections are too large?

kenberman
10-11-2005, 12:40 PM
for your price range and needs, which are similar to mine, I would go with DLP.

a 42 inch DLP is only about 13 inches deep and 70 pounds, making ir easy to house/move. it's picture quality is just as good as LCD/plasma, although you'll want to check out specific models at avsforum to see what the experts say.

finally, they are a much better value than wall-mountable TV's. a 42 inch Samsung should set you back about $1600.

Analyst
10-11-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The only negative is that standard definition just sucks. I don't know if it's because Hi-Def stuff is just so awesome, but it really sucks to go from Hi-Def to regular programming. I also don't know if you're going to have that with EVERY Hi-Def set or not, but I have read in other "research" that LCDs are particularly bad for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very important point, and we recently purchased a conventional CRT instead of an LCD for exactly this reason. The flat panels look *awesome* on HD signals or DVDs, but fared poorly on conventional TV signals. Unless you (the OP) is certain of having an HD/DVD source for most of his viewing, a flat panel may not be a good choice.

[ QUOTE ]

You WANT the good cables when you go to hook everything up, and they're expensive (I spent $75 each on cables to hook up my Hi-Def box and my PS2).

[/ QUOTE ]

In the audio world, cables are generally a huge scam. Buyer beware!

[ QUOTE ]

The other "extra" with LCDs is that the bulbs burn out. And they're a couple hundred bucks each. I bought the Circuit City service plan, which has unlimited bulb replacement for 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sharp is quoting a bulb lifetime (to half-brightness) of 60,000 hours in their latest sets. If you're watching TV 8 hours a day, it'll take 20 years to get to that point. LCDs and plasmas have both moved past the short-lifetime problems of the past, at least for top-tier manufacturers like Sharp and Panasonic.

BottlesOf
10-11-2005, 01:05 PM
This is right in range if not ahead, I'm sure. Remember, what ever price you see at a Best Buy or Circuit City you can almost certinaly find it for...say 10/20% cheaper at a reputable online retalier.

theghost
10-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Move your couch back, and get a projector. (http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/menu.asp)

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Move your couch back, and get a projector. (http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/menu.asp)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not an option, based on the configuration of the room.

Thanks, though.

SL__72
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
True.

One thing to be careful of is what resolutions it can display. I think the key would be to make sure it can do true 1080p and 1080i.

kenberman
10-11-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True.

One thing to be careful of is what resolutions it can display. I think the key would be to make sure it can do true 1080p and 1080i.

[/ QUOTE ]

even this is arguable. a lot of people say 720i is better than 1080p

SL__72
10-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Can't TV's that are 1080p display 720i just fine too?

kenberman
10-11-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, I'm not sure. I think some can, some can't. basically, I recommend people doing a search at avs forum when they find a model they like, to see what the geeks over there have to say. those people are pic-ky. if it's ok over there, it's ok for you.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, I'm not sure. I think some can, some can't. basically, I recommend people doing a search at avs forum when they find a model they like, to see what the geeks over there have to say. those people are pic-ky. if it's ok over there, it's ok for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the last point, but it's the reverse that I think is more important, and more difficult. It's when the geeks say "i would never buy this TV...it doesn't upconvert the DXT into 1068x869 with a satellite feed overdriver with a ZDMC" that folks like me are left scratching their heads and thinking "Ok...but do I care if I just wanna watch some football and DVDs?"

For example, I think I've deduced thusfar that I want something with HDMI input. But frankly, I'm not even 100% positive of that. Reason I bring it up is the WEstinghouse TV some folks have pointed to in this thread has no HDMI input.

The suggestions have been very helpful thusfar though to a relative TV dunce like myself.

Keep 'em coming!

MrMon
10-11-2005, 01:45 PM
This is the 200 pound monster you speak of.

Sony KD-36XS955 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_36XS955/4505-6481_7-30787613.html)

Incredible picture on both Standard and HDTV. Also comes in a 16:9 version, slightly more expensive. I recommend this one because so much of TV is still in standard 4:3 mode and this will give a good picture for that. The 36" 4:3 is the same picture size as the 34" 16:9 in HD mode.

If the 200 lb problem doesn't bother you, you'll be hard pressed to beat the picture, and it puts most, if not all, flat screens to shame, even the $4000 ones.

I'm waiting for DirecTV to come out with our locals in HD, should be next year. Then it's HD Direct TiVo time, they're down to $579 or so.

CrazyEyez
10-11-2005, 01:57 PM
I recently bought one and did a lot of research ahead of time, so I'll throw in my two cents.

For your price range, you can get a 42" or smaller RPLCD, DLP, or CRT. CRT are the cheapest of those. Flat panel LCD or plasma are > $2k.

If you don't want the weight, then eliminate CRT. However, you said that's not a deal breaker. So here's your choice: CRT offers better picture quality, especially with standard definition, but will weigh 150-200 lbs compared to 65 for RPLCD or DLP.

You are going to want to spend some time in the store watching SD material. Note that SD quality varies from channel to channel, program to program. So try many different sources/shows. Some SD stuff looks great on my RPLCD, some sucks. ALso note that digital cable stations and satellite stations in SD are going to look better than analog stations. And make sure when you check them out in stores, you view from the same distance that you'll be at in your living room.

Viewing angle may or may not be important to you. If you want to be able to see the picture from less than straight on, then RPLCD > DLP > CRT.

LCD and DLP have advantages and disadvantages. Google "DLP vs LCD" and such and you'll see the pros/cons. Things to look for: rainbow effect, black levels, screen door effect (SDE).

Once you decide on your desired technology, find a few models from bestbuy.com or amazon or something. Then I would search avsforum.com for those models. That place can be hard to wade through, so I recommend google for researching technologies and then avsforum for specific models. When you're reading, note the dates that articles were written because a lot of issues from the past have been improved upon/corrected in recent months/years.

Lastly, FWIW I got a Sony KDFE42A10 RPLCD a couple weeks ago. Brief review:
HD - No complaints. Looks fantastic.
SD - (DirecTV) some things look awful, like golf. But most programs range somewhere between decent and very good. I came from a 27" Wega non-hd crt which had a tremendous picture, so I had high standards. Black levels are not very good and shadow detail is weak, but I'm getting used to it.
DVD - I have a non-progressive, non-upconverting dvd player, so the tv is doing the upconverting/deinterlacing. 24 is really all I've watched so far. It doesn't look as good as HD stuff, but it looks far better than SD programming. In other words, it's very good. Would possibly be even better with a better DVD player. Black level issues are present but less noticeable than SD tv stuff.

Hope this helps and isn't too long.

CrazyEyez
10-11-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Most have a native resolution, meaning it's one or the other - 720p or 1080i. No matter the source, it will convert it and output at its native res.
Most people say it's hard to tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. The standard response is that 720p is better for things with a lot of movement like sports. 1080p is very new and very expensive, and aside from downloading stuff from the internet, there is no source material in 1080p. HD DVDs may change that relatively soon, but broadcasters are a long long way from it. So it's probably not worth the money now unless you have an HTPC and access to content.

I believe all DLP and RPLCD are 720p, while many/most CRTs are 1080i, but I'm not sure about that.

CrazyEyez
10-11-2005, 02:06 PM
One last thing:
Burn-in. This is not nearly the problem it once was, but still can be an issue depending on who you ask. I refuse to watch 4:3 stuff in "stretch" mode, so I eliminated CRT as an option because I didn't want to worry about burn-in with the black bars on the sides. RPLCD and DLP are not subject to it.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps and isn't too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect, actually.

r2p
10-11-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 42" Sony HD LCD and I am VERY VERY VERY VERY happy with it. I am also in an apartment, and I'm about 5-6 feet away from it on the couch. It is AWESOME in Hi-Definition, everything from sports to regular prime time programming.

As for cost - I bought mine at the beginning of the year when they were listed at $2300. Talked down Circuit City to $2050. DEFINITELY NEGOTIATE with this type of large purchase. I believe they're listed at like $1900 now, so I'd suspect you can pick them up for $1700 or so?

The only thing I'd caution is to be careful of the extras. I have DirecTV, so it was a couple hundred extra for the Hi-Def receiver. I had to buy an antenna to get Hi-Def locals, and that was like $50. If you're a TIVO guy, their Hi-Def box is extra. You WANT the good cables when you go to hook everything up, and they're expensive (I spent $75 each on cables to hook up my Hi-Def box and my PS2).

In summary, I LOVE my TV - you'd be very happy with a 42" in that "small" of a space, and the picture on my Sony LCD is AMAZING.

No matter what you go with though - consider the extras. They add up REALLY fast

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 51" version and I agree with everything posted. And yes, the HD Sat stuff can add up expecially with the Tivo option.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 05:09 PM
bump for the after-work crowd...plus I think it's a quesiton that applies to a lot of us

10-11-2005, 06:05 PM
When people say standard definition stuff looks crappy, do they mean that it looks the same as on a regular TV and crappy in comparison to HD, or that it looks even worse on an HD TV than it does on a regular TV?

Analyst
10-11-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When people say standard definition stuff looks crappy, do they mean that it looks the same as on a regular TV and crappy in comparison to HD, or that it looks even worse on an HD TV than it does on a regular TV?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the latter. If you're going to just watch standard broadcast signals, you will be better served by a decent CRT than a flat panel display. Spending 75% less is just a very nice icing on the cake.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok, this is where I get frustrated...

Just stopped at both BB and CC (heh, isn't that funny) on the way home. Viewed a bunch of models, all sizes, all technologies.

Came across the 30" Samsung SlimFit CRT in Best Buy, and I thought the picture looked fantastic, and at under $1000. Looked much better than the picture on the Sony CRT's, which I know are often touted as the best HDTV CRT's. The same Samsung TV in CC looked very mediocre though. Which should I trust? The were both receiving HDTV feeds.

I've got about 8 models down that I want to look into further. I gave the dude at BB my budget and size parameters, and he suggested a 32" Aquos. Any thoughts on that?

lu_hawk
10-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Also look for no interest financing. I bought my TV at Best Buy but am able to pay it over 2 years with no interest. Makes a pricier set a lot more palatable. I am about 6' away and have a 50" and I think it is a great size. Better to say "I could have gotten away with the smaller TV that is $200 cheaper" than to say "I wasted $1500 because this TV is too small, should have spent an extra $200".

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 09:29 PM
So I just got home and measure, and I grossly underestimated my viewing distance.

The couches are 8-10' from the TV. I guess I underestimated because I have abolutely no problems with my 27" CRT now. Is it silly to be considering a 30 or 32" TV at this distance? Is there a reason why a 32" widescreen at this distance would be much worse than a 27" CRT?

CrazyEyez
10-11-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I just got home and measure, and I grossly underestimated my viewing distance.

The couches are 8-10' from the TV. I guess I underestimated because I have abolutely no problems with my 27" CRT now. Is it silly to be considering a 30 or 32" TV at this distance? Is there a reason why a 32" widescreen at this distance would be much worse than a 27" CRT?

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally if I'm spending 1k+ I'm going much bigger than 32". I went from 27 4:3 to 42 16:9 and it is awesome. To me, 32 is much too small at 8-10 feet. But it's personal preference I guess.

CrazyEyez
10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Came across the 30" Samsung SlimFit CRT in Best Buy, and I thought the picture looked fantastic, and at under $1000. Looked much better than the picture on the Sony CRT's, which I know are often touted as the best HDTV CRT's. The same Samsung TV in CC looked very mediocre though. Which should I trust? The were both receiving HDTV feeds.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've got to go with what looks best to your own eye. On the other hand, the individual video settings on each are likely set quite differently. This can affect picture quality drastically. You could fiddle around with all the settings...or do what I did and just go by what the videophiles on avsforum had to say. A lot of those guys know a lot about tweaking all the settings so I trusted their judgement on which models were best.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got about 8 models down that I want to look into further. I gave the dude at BB my budget and size parameters, and he suggested a 32" Aquos. Any thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't read anything about the Aquos' but they look fantastic when I've seen them in the store. Only thing is whether or not you want to go that small.

JordanIB
10-11-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

SD - (DirecTV) some things look awful, like golf. But most programs range somewhere between decent and very good. I came from a 27" Wega non-hd crt which had a tremendous picture, so I had high standards. Black levels are not very good and shadow detail is weak, but I'm getting used to it.
DVD - I have a non-progressive, non-upconverting dvd player, so the tv is doing the upconverting/deinterlacing. 24 is really all I've watched so far. It doesn't look as good as HD stuff, but it looks far better than SD programming. In other words, it's very good. Would possibly be even better with a better DVD player. Black level issues are present but less noticeable than SD tv stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm now considering this model. How do you find the viewing angle?

CrazyEyez
10-11-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent. Much better than I expected. Just to clarify - I'm talking horizontal. Above or below center, it loses brightness quickly. Side to side it retains brightness quite well.

astroglide
10-11-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean 720p vs 1080i...

kenberman
10-11-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean 720p vs 1080i...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I get those mixed up

astroglide
10-11-2005, 11:54 PM
less than 42 for hd content is pretty much a joke at 8-10 feet

astroglide
10-11-2005, 11:57 PM
i'm ULTRA pleased with my http://www.oppodigital.com/ dvd player. if you order direct from them (basically the same price as anywhere else - $200) you can get a dvi-hdmi cable. if you order from other shops it's only a dvi cable. it's discussed a ton on avsforum. people whine about macroblocking, but it's fantastic. ultra fast response time on menus, great feature set, amazing support from the manufacturer, etc.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm ULTRA pleased with my http://www.oppodigital.com/ dvd player. if you order direct from them (basically the same price as anywhere else - $200) you can get a dvi-hdmi cable. if you order from other shops it's only a dvi cable. it's discussed a ton on avsforum. people whine about macroblocking, but it's fantastic. ultra fast response time on menus, great feature set, amazing support from the manufacturer, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into that one. I'm holding off for a little bit on a new DVD player because I want to get this (http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA&ts= 2&tsc=15) first (not for the DVD player part of it).

astroglide
10-12-2005, 12:19 AM
i have a dlink media station i use for playing rhapsody music through my tv. it supports video playback and has component outputs, haven't really cared about the video aspects though. but i think it was cheap, something like $150? pretty cheesy ui. i really wanted another brand, a top 'media center' reviewed thing from pc magazine. user-moddable with an api, hd, etc. didn't support rhapsody though /images/graemlins/frown.gif this dvd one looks interesting, i'll check it out (for non-dvd reasons as well).

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
It seems to be the only thing on the market that will handle all types of HD files, which is what I primarily want it for. It'll do .ts mpeg-2, xvid, divx, wmv9 hd. There is a lot of HD media available via newsgroups, much in .ts form. This is what I want it for.
Photo/music capabilities will be a nice bonus.

astroglide
10-12-2005, 12:36 AM
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php

there's the one. look at their site compared to everything else. the user interface looks amazing, they have support forums where they are constantly posting/updating with beta software/etc. everything looks like a dream come true except no upnp/rhapsody yet as far as i can tell.

every media playing whatever thing always has a hack job ui, some signifigant and easily fixed drawbacks that never seem to come up in firmware releases, etc. these guys look like the real deal when it comes to quality.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2005, 12:41 AM
I looked at that one. There was some limitation I found - I think it doesn't handle .ts well and/or you can't FF/REW them, only play/stop. Or something. But the upgrade-ability makes it worth considering.
There are multiple threads on both at avsforum.

jayheaps
10-13-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the latter. If you're going to just watch standard broadcast signals, you will be better served by a decent CRT than a flat panel display. Spending 75% less is just a very nice icing on the cake.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I was at a friends house last night who just got the new Sony 42" grand WEGA. the standard def stuff looked much better than I have ever seen on a HDTV

Entity
10-13-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Viewing angle is great. I got the TV for $1800 from Sears, and I love it. Have used it for SD (decent), HDTV (antenna-based), Xbox, and DVD (progressive scan, no upconverting). It's really a great TV.

Rob

JordanIB
10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Well after viewing it in the store, and seeing the reviews here and elsewhere I have decided on the Sony 42A10.

I found an online retailer selling the set for $1579 significantly lower than any other price I've seen (lowest was $1709 on Amazon). Now normally this would set off alarm bells, but I have checked Resellerratings.com and pricegrabber.com and this place has a large number of reviews (80 on Reseller and 1000+ on pricegrabber) and has excellent scores on each of them.

Think I should be worried at all? The TV comes with the 1 year warranty. I'll ask if it's open box or refurb, but I assume I would be told it was new no matter what it was /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would be saving around $250 by purchasing from this retailer, so it's awfully tempting.

Also, did you guys buy extended warranties?

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well after viewing it in the store, and seeing the reviews here and elsewhere I have decided on the Sony 42A10.

I found an online retailer selling the set for $1579 significantly lower than any other price I've seen (lowest was $1709 on Amazon). Now normally this would set off alarm bells, but I have checked Resellerratings.com and pricegrabber.com and this place has a large number of reviews (80 on Reseller and 1000+ on pricegrabber) and has excellent scores on each of them.

Think I should be worried at all? The TV comes with the 1 year warranty. I'll ask if it's open box or refurb, but I assume I would be told it was new no matter what it was /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would be saving around $250 by purchasing from this retailer, so it's awfully tempting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did not get the warranty. I've never had a single issue with a piece of electronic equipment. Circuit City's was 4 years/400 bucks. Covered bulb replacement. You may or may not know that the bulbs on those things have a limited lifespan (2-4 years depending on how much you watch per day). Replacements are about $200. So I figured at BEST I might break even on the warranty, but that's doubtful. Unlikely I'll need a third bulb within 4 years, and who knows - they may cost less than 200 by then anyway.

JordanIB
10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah, the bulb issue is really the only reason why I would consider a warranty.

And that was the one thing that stopped me from ordering right away last night...I wanted to read up a lot more on bulb issues. Bottom line there is 10 people have 20 different opinions. But, like you, I feel as though it'll probably be a wash.

I'm saving a couple hundred online, so that pays for a bulb, plus I supposedly double the manufacturer's warrantly by putting it on my credit card. I don't know how easy it is to file a claim with Citi (my dad says AmEx is actually very reasonable with their double warranty policy), but I figured that gives me up to 2 years where I'm covered on a bulb.

And I would look for bulb prices to come down over those 2 years.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I did not get the warranty. I've never had a single issue with a piece of electronic equipment. Circuit City's was 4 years/400 bucks. Covered bulb replacement. You may or may not know that the bulbs on those things have a limited lifespan (2-4 years depending on how much you watch per day). Replacements are about $200. So I figured at BEST I might break even on the warranty, but that's doubtful. Unlikely I'll need a third bulb within 4 years, and who knows - they may cost less than 200 by then anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
GL on your purchase. Hope you like it.

JordanIB
10-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Ok, guys. I last question from me. is it your understanding that the 1 year warrantly included in the purchase includes bulb replacement for 1 year?

I called up Sony to confirm (bwcause my credit card doubles it), and a woman told me, NO, bulb is 90 days, which kinda shocked me. I called back, spoke to a different rep, and he says YES, 1 year on bulbs as well (although, to be honest, the first woman seemed more confident in her answer).

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Are bulbs included within a year?

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, guys. I last question from me. is it your understanding that the 1 year warrantly included in the purchase includes bulb replacement for 1 year?

I called up Sony to confirm (bwcause my credit card doubles it), and a woman told me, NO, bulb is 90 days, which kinda shocked me. I called back, spoke to a different rep, and he says YES, 1 year on bulbs as well (although, to be honest, the first woman seemed more confident in her answer).

[/ QUOTE ]
I hadn't thought about it much, but I think I was under the impression that they were NOT covered. At least I think I remember reading that somewhere.

jayheaps
10-14-2005, 09:29 AM
well guys I am down to 2 TVs.

The Sony KDFE42A10 and Samsung HLR4667W. Did any else consider these 2? I am really torn now. I like the Sony reputation, but the Samsung gets better reviews on alot of sites.

From what I have seen, the pictures are very comparable

kenberman
10-14-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well guys I am down to 2 TVs.

The Sony KDFE42A10 and Samsung HLR4667W. Did any else consider these 2? I am really torn now. I like the Sony reputation, but the Samsung gets better reviews on alot of sites.

From what I have seen, the pictures are very comparable

[/ QUOTE ]

Samsung is the new Sony. you should go with what 1) your eyes tell you and 2) what the reviews tell you.

the quality of these is probably equivalent.

JordanIB
10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Just purchased the Sony KDFE42A10!

Bought it from www.6ave.com (http://www.6ave.com) which has an unbelievable price, and a real unbelievable price -- they have solid reviews and are clearly not one of these Brooklyn fly-by-night scam electronics e-tailers. Even a couple of the posters on avsforum had purchased from there.

I took a risk buying online because I cannot exchange the set if I receive one with a dead pixel or two. But I read that you can see those from normal viewing distance anyway. And any larger defencts will be covered by the Sony warranty (they don't fix a dead pixel here or there...it's considered within specification for an LCD). I figured the risk was worth $450 in savings from what it would have cost at BB or CC.

It will be delivered on Tuesday, so I will probably have more to say then.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kenberman
10-14-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bought it from www.6ave.com (http://www.6ave.com) which has an unbelievable price, and a real unbelievable price

[/ QUOTE ]

which is /images/graemlins/wink.gif

JordanIB
10-14-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bought it from www.6ave.com (http://www.6ave.com) which has an unbelievable price, and a real unbelievable price

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry...I know on avsforums they have something against posting your actual purchase price. $1579.06, and that includes shipping.

Analyst
10-14-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect that it's pretty unlikely that your bulb would go out sometime between days 31 and 365. The bulb is not going to wear out in a year, or five, or (most likely) ten. Infant mortality is another story, but still seems unlikely enough that I wouldn't base a decision on a 90-day vs. 1-year warranty.

kenberman
10-14-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry...I know on avsforums they have something against posting your actual purchase price. $1579.06, and that includes shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

great deal. congrats!

will be interested to hear what you think, since I am in nearly the same situation as you. same budget, same restrictions, as I mentioned above. I had been leaning towards the 42 Samsung DLP, but lots of people here like the Sony LCD Proj...so who knows.

I think I will be buying from amazon though, since I've whored $900 worth of gift certificates!

JordanIB
10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
I was pretty much between the same 2.

I saw them side-by-side in Circuit City and thought the Sony had a brighter/sharper picture.

Definitely not a huuuge different, but at the same price, and many happy owners giving great reviews on many sites, I felt like I made the right decision. I'm sure the Samsung would be an equally right decision.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

great deal. congrats!

will be interested to hear what you think, since I am in nearly the same situation as you. same budget, same restrictions, as I mentioned above. I had been leaning towards the 42 Samsung DLP, but lots of people here like the Sony LCD Proj...so who knows.

I think I will be buying from amazon though, since I've whored $900 worth of gift certificates!

[/ QUOTE ]

jayheaps
10-16-2005, 05:15 PM
went in Best buy today. i have a friend who works there who told me that all Tvs are going to be cut significantly in early to mid november because of holiday sales. so you probably shouldnt buy anything in the next few weeks.