PDA

View Full Version : ROI for 5-handed SNG's

rwanger
10-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Just started playing pokerroom 5 handed SNG's and they seem to be pretty lucrative. Anyone want to guess how beatable these games are? 1st gets 3.5 buyins, 2nd gets 1.5 buyins.

If you made it to the money 60% of the time, and split evenly between 1st and 2nd, would your ROI be around 40% (roughly %10 goes to rake)?

Or are those projections unreasonable?

BTW Trying to find info on this, searched for:
"5 handed" + "poker room" + "roi"

but everything was unrelated
tips?

Nicholasp27
10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
well if it's a 10/1 sng

if u play 10 of these:
3 * 35 = 105
3 * 15 = 45

so 150 total back to you

you paid 11*10=110

150-110=40 profit

40/110=36% roi

rwanger
10-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Could a good player place in the top 2 of 5 60% of the time?

Nicholasp27
10-11-2005, 11:18 AM
not sure...haven't played those much

your fair share should be 20% 1sts and 20% 2nds

a good player should, of course, get more than their fair share, but i'm not sure it'd be 60% of the time

maybe more like 50% of the time, but with more 1sts than 2nds

maybe someone more knowledgeable and experienced can chime in

10-11-2005, 11:24 AM
With shorthanded SNGs you have to make many more pre-flop calls and post-flop decisions which often depend on your reads. I played a lot of these about a year and a half ago and they vastly improved my play, but as far as long term money in concerned, 10 person SNGs allow you to play more tables and make more automatic decisions, increasing your hourly rate.

I can't imagine playing more than three shorthanded SNGS at once. So, if you're playing for fun / to learn, they're awesome and will build your bankroll. If you're playing for the cold hard, pay-my-bookie cash, they might not be the best option.

rwanger
10-11-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but as far as long term money in concerned, 10 person SNGs allow you to play more tables and make more automatic decisions, increasing your hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds very true. Mabye just one short handed, pay attention to that one, and then a few others full table that you don't have to pay attention to as much.

Still, people seem to drop pretty quickly from the 5 handed games. I can't imagine going out 4th or 5th without having a big hand run into a REALLY big hand. Which isn't likely to happen in the first 30 hands or so.

SunOfBeach
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
i have 482 of these over the last month and a half at the $50 level, and 267 1st or 2nd, which is 55.4% ITM. i actually have more 2nd than 1st so far (just by a little, though), which i consider a fault of mine rather than what you "should" experience. surely, theres an inverse relationship once you get 3handed between accumulating more chips and "waiting it out" to get into 2nd, and im starting to suspect that my ITM% is TOO HIGH in these, and i should sacrifice some of it for more firsts.

10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
surely, theres an inverse relationship once you get 3handed between accumulating more chips and "waiting it out" to get into 2nd, and im starting to suspect that my ITM% is TOO HIGH in these, and i should sacrifice some of it for more firsts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into the same problem. Adjusting to being more agressive three handed in these SNGs made becoming a crazy pushbot at Party 10-person SNGs very easy.

10-11-2005, 01:32 PM
If you haven't already, I also recommened playing a good number of HU SNGs. Most of the time you're pushing HU in an SNG anyway, but there are some subtelties to the game you can apply when your opponent incorrectly calls the SB and gives you a free flop.

There were also some really fun three-person, winner take all SNGS on Royal Vegas when I started playing. Those were like taking a class on when to fold TPTK and bottom two pair.

nothumb
10-11-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have 482 of these over the last month and a half at the $50 level, and 267 1st or 2nd, which is 55.4% ITM. i actually have more 2nd than 1st so far (just by a little, though), which i consider a fault of mine rather than what you "should" experience. surely, theres an inverse relationship once you get 3handed between accumulating more chips and "waiting it out" to get into 2nd, and im starting to suspect that my ITM% is TOO HIGH in these, and i should sacrifice some of it for more firsts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just started playing these on Paradise and this was my instinct as well. Given the payout structure I think it pays a little more to gamble for first once three-handed. I usually only 1 or 2 table any game I play, so I'm not really sacrificing anything at these games... a lot of players don't seem to grasp them yet so I think there's a lot of money to be made.

NT