PDA

View Full Version : I have a cold

Brad22
10-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah...always did the Dayquil and Nyquil thing, but looking for a better remedy.

What do you all do to feel good and get rid of colds quickly?

phil_ivey_fan
10-11-2005, 10:04 AM
start supplementing with Vitamin C.

Some ppl take vitamin C year round, but that's a waste of time. It won't prevent colds, but it will help you get better faster.

oh and I think Zinc helps as well.

- pHIl

STLantny
10-11-2005, 10:04 AM
sweat/working out, a nice steam room, then a ton of nyquil and sleep.

mslif
10-11-2005, 10:06 AM
You can minimize the symptoms with Alka Seltzer cold medicine (always works great for me), Tylenol cold... But you really cannot get better faster. It has to run its course.
I hope you feel better.

SeaSiren
10-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Me too!
But... the best way to shorten and reduce the symptoms is by using some natural immune boosters.
Echinacea/Goldenseal & Zinc lozengers or Zicam - all available from drug store - take a bunch... in 3 days all better :-) (colds usually last up to 9 days!!!)
Nyquil etc.. good as a 'bandaid' for symptoms - but won't help heal faster like the herbals.
be well... sniff.

AllinDan
10-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Jack Daniel's works great.

oh, and be careful with zinc, that stuff has made me throw up like nothing else

SeaSiren
10-11-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

oh, and be careful with zinc, that stuff has made me throw up like nothing else

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah... be sure to have a full tummy before sucking on the zinc tabs... but they really work.

Dex
10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...always did the Dayquil and Nyquil thing, but looking for a better remedy.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.alacer.com/products/img/lemonlime1.jpg

touchfaith
10-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Plop-plop fizz-fizz cold medicine for sure. Too bad it tastes like crap. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But that [censored] works miracles.

Bradyams
10-11-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plop-plop fizz-fizz cold medicine for sure. Too bad it tastes like crap. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But that [censored] works miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only person that actually likes the taste of Alka-Seltzer?

4_2_it
10-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Tylenol Cold and Flu is what I am taking right now and I can actually function at work.

Sponger15SB
10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

oh, and be careful with Jack Daniel's, that stuff has made me throw up like nothing else

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Cancer Merchant
10-11-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me too!
But... the best way to shorten and reduce the symptoms is by using some natural immune boosters.
Echinacea/Goldenseal & Zinc lozengers or Zicam - all available from drug store - take a bunch... in 3 days all better :-) (colds usually last up to 9 days!!!)
Nyquil etc.. good as a 'bandaid' for symptoms - but won't help heal faster like the herbals.
be well... sniff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the echinacea is real, which it sometimes isn't (http://www.consumerlab.com/results/echinacea.asp) , it won't help with a cold. (http://nccam.nih.gov/clinicaltrials/echinacea_rr.htm)

Brad22
10-11-2005, 02:47 PM
How often do you take Zicam (zinc)?

Where can you find the stuff - drug store, supermarket?

SeaSiren
10-11-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How often do you take Zicam (zinc)?

Where can you find the stuff - drug store, supermarket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... supermarket, pharmacy etc... little pricey $10ish.
they have it in different forms: swabs, nose spray etc... use it like every 4hrs... but get going! Best if used on earliest signs of symptoms. Lots of proven results showing dramatic lessening of time w/cold.
I know - colds just plain suck.
/images/graemlins/mad.gif

lucas9000
10-11-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never had it.

touchfaith
10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never had it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It taste like battery acid, but you take the stuff right when you feel something coming on and it kicks ass. I haven't taken much else in a long time.

mmbt0ne
10-11-2005, 03:22 PM
It's not a cold. Enjoy your avian flu.

CORed
10-11-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Zinc lozenges (Cold-eeze is one good brand) help, but you have to start them at the first sign of a cold (you know the morning when you wake up with your throat feeling a little scratchy and say to yoursef "Is this the start of cold?") for them to really be effective. They will help a little if you start them later. Pseudoephedrine (suda-fed, contac non-drowsy) is fairly good for drying up runny nose and reducing nasal and sinus congestion. Unfortunately, it is being phased out and replace with phenylephrine (similar but not quite as good), because pseudoephedrine is used to mak methampetamine.

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Colds suck. My kid gave m,e one that I've had a couple of days now.

I always say there's two kinds of cold medicine. There's medecine that works. And medecine that won't knock you on your ass.

So far they seem to have been unable to create one that both works and allows me to function. As a result, I've been completely goofy for two days. I'm dizzy and unable to concentrate and doing retarded things. I don't like this but it seems a little better today. FWIW I've been doing the Nyquil/Dayquil thing.

SeaSiren
10-12-2005, 02:42 PM
... that you're probably not having enough sex - that's what's contributed to your having a crappy cold...
this might be a good prevention in the future :-) lol.

"Wilkes University in Pennsylvania says individuals who have sex twice a week show 30% higher levels of an antibody called immunoglobulin A, which is known to boost the immune system resulting in less frequent colds"

jakethebake
10-12-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... that you're probably not having enough sex - that's what's contributed to your having a crappy cold...
this might be a good prevention in the future :-) lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explains mine. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cumulonimbus
10-12-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a cold. Enjoy your avian flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it.

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 09:32 AM
This [censored] is really kicking my ass today. I woke up with snot all over my pillow. I've taken the Alka Seltzer Cold plus and am using Zicam. I had no idea Zicam now came in so many different delivery methods. I don't necessarily belive it works, but I guess it can't hurt. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tailgunner
10-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Normally it takes seven days to get over a cold, but with proper treatment you can be better in a week.

All you can do is treat the symptoms.

<font color="teal">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

bustedchucks
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
1/2 gallon of orange juice and twelve hours of sleep

jakethebake
10-13-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've taken the Alka Seltzer Cold plus and am using Zicam.

[/ QUOTE ]

This Alka Seltzer Cold Plus stuff is useless. I guess that's what I get for taking medical advice from 00T. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

jakethebake
10-15-2005, 05:46 PM
This alka seltzer crap is useless. I've been high on Nyquil &amp; Dayquil for 24 hours now. It's much better stuff. The flu sucks though.

Duffman
10-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm sick right now. It's all about NyQuil for me. I take it during the day, and then some more at night. It's like being drunk 24/7.

jakethebake
10-15-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sick right now. It's all about NyQuil for me. I take it during the day, and then some more at night. It's like being drunk 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. That's what I've been doing too actually. It actually wasn't Nyquil though it was the Tylenol stuff that has double the dosage of all the active ingredients that Nyquil has. I'm just completely retarded right now.

Duffman
10-15-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. That's what I've been doing too actually. It actually wasn't Nyquil though it was the Tylenol stuff that has double the dosage of all the active ingredients that Nyquil has. I'm just completely retarded right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this tylenol stuff you speak of? I used to take Tylenol Cold and Flu, but it doesn't do anything for me anymore.

jakethebake
10-15-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is this tylenol stuff you speak of? I used to take Tylenol Cold and Flu, but it doesn't do anything for me anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tylenol Nighttime Cold Formula. It has exactly double all the active indredients of Nyquil. Also, right now it is mixing very weel with alcohol.

Duffman
10-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Aweseome. Hopefully it doesn't taste as rancid as Nyquil.

webgator
10-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Orange juice &amp; Nyquil slurpy, lots of sleep.

jakethebake
10-16-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aweseome. Hopefully it doesn't taste as rancid as Nyquil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh it does.