PDA

View Full Version : Satelite Tournament

10-11-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm playing a £50 + re -buys and add on satelite this friday to a £500 main tournament. It's in Brighton, England. I don't have any experience of satelite tournaments as opposed to standard tournaments. How does it work, is there simply 1 main event entry (worth £500) for every £500 in prize money? If so assuming that on average everyone is in for 1 buy in + one add on, will there approx be one entry per 5 players?

For such a tournament how many runners would you expect? Is a different strategy required for a satelite compared to a normal tournament? Im guessing if say the top 20 qualify and i'm sitting in 10th place with 30 players left should I fold every hand? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sam T.
10-11-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is there simply 1 main event entry (worth £500) for every £500 in prize money? If so assuming that on average everyone is in for 1 buy in + one add on, will there approx be one entry per 5 players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes on the first question, unless the house is taking some sort of cut, but usually they are not. Unless there is a limit on the number of re-buys, I think you can probably expect the seat to player ratio to go up. There is a $3 re-buy strategy thread here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3639174&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) that should get you started.

As to the strategy, it depends on the stack sizes and blinds. I the example you gave, 10th may well be safe, but it depends on what stacks 11th (and more importantly 20th) to 30th have, and where the blinds are. If 30th is only marginally smaller than you, you have to stay aggressive. If you have twice the stack of 20th, you should only play premium hands, or open-raise from LP against shorties. Once you get to the bubble, a lot of guys are going to be folding and praying their way into a spot. Figure out who they are, and steal from them with any two and ensure yourself a seat.

Good luck,

Sam