PDA

View Full Version : melatonin.. what's the deal?

smurfitup
10-11-2005, 06:28 AM
i've had trouble sleeping ever since i started college.. my roommate recommended taking melatonin (which is the natural chemical your body creates to regulate your circadian rhythms) and it's helping me fall asleep, but now i have trouble waking up and feel very groggy when i finally get out of bed.. anyone have experience with the drug? know anything about it?

also, i take a hit of pot before going to sleep, so that might have something to do with it.

cpitt398
10-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Some people experience weird dreams when taking it. Honestly it doesnt do too much for me. If I wake up on it I can't go back to sleep. It is only like I get one chance.

Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep on it, might be why your groggy

Il_Mostro
10-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Nothing on melatonin, but a tip. A nail-mat (or whatever the english word might be) is great for relaxing. 20 minutes on it before bedtime and I fall asleep like a baby.

No joke, I use it, it's great. Only hurts a little for the first few minutes, after that it's really comfy.

http://www.kmh-skolan.se/bilder/spik6.jpg

applejuicekid
10-11-2005, 08:09 AM
I used to take this to help me sleep. At first I had the same results you did, but after about a week it did nothing. I guess my body adjusted to it.

10-11-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i've had trouble sleeping ever since i started college.. my roommate recommended taking melatonin (which is the natural chemical your body creates to regulate your circadian rhythms) and it's helping me fall asleep, but now i have trouble waking up and feel very groggy when i finally get out of bed.. anyone have experience with the drug? know anything about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a natural chemical, yes. But maybe what you're injesting isn't the right dosage your body needs. It's like a doc starting you on one level of a med and when you report your reactions, good or bad, he/she changes the Rx up or down.

[ QUOTE ]

also, i take a hit of pot before going to sleep, so that might have something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're in the area of unknown chemical reactions. Like, grapefruit juice cancels out the benefits of many Rx's. One, or more, of the ingredients of pot may be reacting with the melatonin.

Suggestion: A few years ago I was having trouble sleeping but told my doc I'd never had good results with sleeping pills. She said to try Benadryl, "It's non-addictive and won't leave a hangover." I did. She was right. Worked, for me.

I've also had good results with Tylenol PM.

Both are available in Wal-Mart under their "Equate" brand. Cheaper.

Indiana
10-11-2005, 11:09 AM
I've been an insomniac for most of my life and I've tried everything. Melatonin by Naturol was something i used for a while but I also found that it made me groggy and cut down on my win rate in that game that I will not mention here. Then on to Lunesta, same thing.....I finally found something that works well: Ambien. I take half an Ambien at night (5mg) and sleep well without the grogginess the next day. And its not really that addictive. The newer class of sleep drugs are not so bad for you, with Ambien being at the top.

Try it,

Indy